Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | 1K Post Thread Limit Reinstated Site Wide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Interesting to see Osterle going back with Hossa. Great to watch him grow, but will be tough to watch if he continues to do well on another team

Both of Osterle and Hinostroza are intriguing acquisitions by Chayka as both have very solid underlying numbers. Hinostroza, in particular has near top 6 underlying numbers. Hes only 106 games into his NHL career, so well see what type of player he ends up. .5 ppg player this past year. Both Osterle and Hinostroza look to have top 2 line capability *not forsure* and both look to be already great depth/role players. Its these type of trades where you find some diamonds in the rough.

Chayka is a fun GM to watch because he literally makes all of the moves I would make if I was given the role of a GM. So Ill watch to see how his team does because if it fails, I can have pretty concnrete evidence my line of thinking sucks. Or if the Yotes succeed, Ill be calling up Katz for a gig

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Interesting to see Osterle going back with Hossa. Great to watch him grow, but will be tough to watch if he continues to do well on another team

Both of Osterle and Hinostroza are intriguing acquisitions by Chayka as both have very solid underlying numbers. Hinostroza, in particular has near top 6 underlying numbers. Hes only 106 games into his NHL career, so well see what type of player he ends up. .5 ppg player this past year. Both Osterle and Hinostroza look to have top 2 line capability *not forsure* and both look to be already great depth/role players. Its these type of trades where you find some diamonds in the rough.

Chayka is a fun GM to watch because he literally makes all of the moves I would make if I was given the role of a GM. So Ill watch to see how his team does because if it fails, I can have pretty concnrete evidence my line of thinking sucks. Or if the Yotes succeed, Ill be calling up Katz for a gig
So far the team he built had one of the worst starts in NHL history and hasn't sniffed playoffs yet so.... It hasn't even close to paid off yet lol

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So far the team he built had one of the worst starts in NHL history and hasn't sniffed playoffs yet so.... It hasn't even close to paid off yet lol

Teams arent built in a year. He also took over a team that needed a complete rebuild. When he took over the team, it was composed of OEL, Hanzal, Doan, Domi and Boedker with next to no good prospects. Starting off a team with OEL, Domi and then some aging forwards and not much else it pretty rough. No way a team is going to turn around in 2 seasons without a elite top pick. He then went on to get max value for Hanzal, get top value for Domi and bring in a pretty good young core and completely rebuild the D core

One of the only moves I didnt like is the D. Strome pick and Hayton pick this year.

Although I'll keep my mouth shut from here on out with the Yotes. Well see what that team is able to do in the next 2 years. I have a strong feeling they will make alot of people eat crow, but only time will tell

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I didn't think they'd make it out of the second round, let alone win the cup, but that was after the off-season moves Chiarelli made. The team was close, I think, from being a legitimate cup contender. In other words, I think they were one or two trade wins away from being a top-5 team.
Teams don't become contenders through 'trade wins'. That's what's so ridiculous about these boards. Everything revolves around some EA Sports ideology that the success in the NHL revolves around trading. Trades are very rarely things you build a team around. The same goes for FA signings.

Look at successful teams in recent history and you'll see that an extremely high percentage of the key players from those clubs have been drafted and developed by those franchises. Teams get to that point by going through the rigors of the playoff process. Very few win right out of the gate. And considering we haven't developed a sure fire top pairing defenseman, I don't see our process being any easier.

Last edited:

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Teams don't become contenders through 'trade wins'. That's what's so ridiculous about these boards. Everything revolves around some EA Sports ideology that the success in the NHL revolves around trading. Trades are very rarely things you build a team around. The same goes for FA signings.

Look at successful teams in recent history and you'll see that an extremely high percentage of the key players from those clubs have been drafted and developed by those franchises. Teams get to that point by going through the rigors of the playoff process. Very few win right out of the gate. And considering we haven't developed a sure fire top pairing defenseman, I don't see our process being any easier.

Who said anything about building around trades? You quote the right person?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Teams arent built in a year. He also took over a team that needed a complete rebuild. When he took over the team, it was composed of OEL, Hanzal, Doan, Domi and Boedker with next to no good prospects. Starting off a team with OEL, Domi and then some aging forwards and not much else it pretty rough. No way a team is going to turn around in 2 seasons without a elite top pick. He then went on to get max value for Hanzal, get top value for Domi and bring in a pretty good young core and completely rebuild the D core

One of the only moves I didnt like is the D. Strome pick and Hayton pick this year.

Although I'll keep my mouth shut from here on out with the Yotes. Well see what that team is able to do in the next 2 years. I have a strong feeling they will make alot of people eat crow, but only time will tell

Chayka wasn't GM during the 2015 draft.

Hayton is certainly a questionable pick, though.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
San Jose is a perennial contender largely built through the trade market. New Jersey looks like they might be trending that way.

It can be done, you just have to take advantage of some hoser(s) to do it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Chayka wasn't GM during the 2015 draft.

Hayton is certainly a questionable pick, though.

Oh yeah right, my bad. The Hayton pick can only be justified if they thought they really needed a center. Who knows, Scheifle was also an off the board pick in the top 10 and worked out great. PO Joseph is also a questionable pick given Tolvenan and some others were still on the board. He looks to be a solid prospect though, but again who knows. Well see how these guys turn out in a few years, as Keller looks legit and Chychrun has been solid

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Not really looking to pile on the guy here, but him going to Arizona speaks to how little a team poor in defensive depth valued Oesterle. Arizona might've targeted him specifically, but the way I see it, he's getting the journeyman treatment.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He also shouldn't have won this one, but......

Hall absolutely deserved to win the Hart but the Oilers absolutely did not trade a Hart winner, he was far from that when he was dealt but I digress.

In any event, I don't think Chicago is clearing cap space for Karlsson because they don't have the pieces to acquire him (much like San Jose), I think Faulk is the one they are shooting for.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hall absolutely deserved to win the Hart but the Oilers absolutely did not trade a Hart winner, he was far from that when he was dealt but I digress.

In any event, I don't think Chicago is clearing cap space for Karlsson because they don't have the pieces to acquire him (much like San Jose), I think Faulk is the one they are shooting for.
:facepalm: I'm not getting into this, because subject BS, rabble rabble. He didn't deserve it more then many around him, except for "reasons"

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Not really looking to pile on the guy here, but him going to Arizona speaks to how little a team poor in defensive depth valued Oesterle. Arizona might've targeted him specifically, but the way I see it, he's getting the journeyman treatment.

Id see it somewhat the complete opposite. This wasnt a trade of a player for a late round pick, this was a bad contract being traded and a valuable enough asset having to go back with him. Osterle had enough value to offset one of the worst contracts in the league. But Id say this deal worked out well for both teams, because Chicago opened up the cap space to make a big splash on a noteable name like Patches or Skinner, and only give up 2 lesser name/ depth players. Chicago was actually probably very eager to make this trade, as Chayka likely was to as well. In Chayka eyes he probably sees it as getting two very good depth players, both with top 2 line upside for next to nothing as they have the cap space

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Name a successful team that's consistently lost trades that's becoming a top franchise. That doesn't happen much either.

Being able to win trades is a trait most good teams are at least decent at.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Alot of teams dont become contenders by mainly winning trades, I would agree, but next to no team becomes a contender losing the type of trades Chiarelli has. Most contenders do some good trades AND draft really good, mainly with high picks and sign good players. Even the best trading team like Nashville is just a borderline contender

Trading is severely overrated. Most trades are swaps of equal value. In some rare cases you get more value then you give, but its mostly marginal. But in the worst case, you lose a lot of value. Trades are fun to discuss, but they rarley move the needle much, as you have to give up value as well

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Id see it somewhat the complete opposite. This wasnt a trade of a player for a late round pick, this was a bad contract being traded and a valuable enough asset having to go back with him. Osterle had enough value to offset one of the worst contracts in the league. But Id say this deal worked out well for both teams, because Chicago opened up the cap space to make a big splash on a noteable name like Patches or Skinner, and only give up 2 lesser name/ depth players. Chicago was actually probably very eager to make this trade, as Chayka likely was to as well. In Chayka eyes he probably sees it as getting two very good depth players, both with top 2 line upside for next to nothing as they have the cap space
Hossa is all cap hit going to a team that may very well need it to hit the salary floor at some point. He's getting paid $1m a year for the remainder of his deal and the majority of it is covered through insurance IIRC. Not to mention Chicago took back Marcus Kruger. Like I said, it's possible Chayka targeted the guy, but he's was a pretty replaceable piece for Chicago. Considering their current defensive depth, that's not much of a compliment to Oesterle.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
You're just bitter. Hall deserved the Hart, flat out.
Tell me one reason why he didn't deserve it.
McDavid DESTROYED anybody in Hart contention.

This was a participation ribbon for Hallsy and the other 3 because they had a better supporting cast.

Absolute JOKE McDavid didn't win. Good for Hallsy. I'm sure he knows who the real MVP was this year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hossa is all cap hit going to a team that may very well need it to hit the salary floor at some point. He's getting paid $1m a year for the remainder of his deal and the majority of it is covered through insurance IIRC. Not to mention Chicago took back Marcus Kruger. Like I said, it's possible Chayka targeted the guy, but he's was a pretty replaceable piece for Chicago. Considering their current defensive depth, that's not much of a compliment to Oesterle.

This is wrong, Arizona has the 14th highest cap hit in the NHL. They are at a cap of 68 million with the floor only being 58 million. They were already over the 5mil over the cap floor without Hossa.

Osterle played top pairing minutes this year, so he was not a replacement level piece for Chicago at all. Chicago had to give up something of value for a team to take on Hossa, Osterle is the most logical piece as he is an Hinazota both have value, but neither one is a major name like Saad or a highly regarded prospect (or 1st round pick)

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
You're just bitter. Hall deserved the Hart, flat out.
Tell me one reason why he didn't deserve it.
Not saying Hall didn't deserve it but just think, if Kinkaid didn't start playing out of his mind the Devils don't make the playoffs and Hall isn't sniffing the Hart. Kinda dumb how the voting works.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
McDavid DESTROYED anybody in Hart contention.

This was a participation ribbon for Hallsy and the other 3 because they had a better supporting cast.

Absolute JOKE McDavid didn't win. Good for Hallsy. I'm sure he knows who the real MVP was this year.

LOL at Hall having a better supporting cast, really?
Don't remember the last time an MVP led his team to the bottom of the league. Also, he didn't vault ahead in the points race until the team was way out of the playoff race so scoring meaningful points should count for something.
There's also a reason why Harden won over LeBron in the NBA. MVP isn't a "best player in the league" award. Team accomplishment counts for something if all else is fairly equal like it was this season and McDavid's team was A LOT worse than the others.

Anyway, I'm on an Oiler board so I shouldn't expect unbiased opinions, it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->