Rumours of major deal brewing in Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
AP - Miami

The Columbus Blue Jackets flew into Miami on the red-eye, but GM Doug Emerson was not on the flight. Following a lacklustre effort last night that saw his team eke out a tie against the lowly Devils, (just one day after only barely managing to edge the even lowlier Tampa Bay Lightning 2-1, and 2 days after losing 4-3 to the Toronto Maple Leafs), Emerson remained in Columbus, reportedly to put the finishing touches on a major trade.

The $50,000 question, of course, is what kind of trade it will be. Will the Jackets continue to load up for a playoff run and the resultant endorsement and attendance dollars associated with that level of play, or has the team's recent performance against sub-500 teams put the writing on the wall for the current cast of under-achievers?

Either way, for the Jackets, the trade deadline is now: the team has just a few days to opt out of its remaining endorsements and recoup a share of its dollar commitments; right now the team is in jeopardy of missing the targets on at least three of those deals. With attendance slipping and the team hemmoraging money, there is real risk of the team finishing the season in bankruptcy proceedings (owner International Sports Investment Services has already gone on the record to say that they won't be putting any more cash into the team until a new collective bargaining agreement addresses inequities in the cost/revenue structure of the league). So whatever decision the team makes in order to address these concerns, it needs to be made now.

It is known that the team has had extensive conversations with Atlanta, Anaheim, Edmonton and Montreal in recent weeks, leading observers to believe that a sell-off may be on the horizon. But the Rangers, Buffalo and Minnesota were also said to have been on GM Emerson's call list, so the jury remains out.

Which way will it go? We won't have to wait long to find out.

Milo Minderbinder
Columbus Discoverer

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Ohio Jones said:
It is known that the team has had extensive conversations with Atlanta, Anaheim, Edmonton and Montreal in recent weeks, leading observers to believe that a sell-off may be on the horizon.

Which way will it go? We won't have to wait long to find out.

Milo Minderbinder
Columbus Discoverer

Hopefully it will go the way of the sell off option!

*This message was brought to you by the owners of several Columbus Draft Picks including their First Rounder*

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Brock said:
Hopefully it will go the way of the sell off option!

*This message was brought to you by the owners of several Columbus Draft Picks including their First Rounder*

Sorry to disappoint you Brock, but with no draft picks in hand and lots of financial incentives to become more competitive, I opted against the sell-off. Still, with my luck I'll probably net out at around .500 hockey anyway, so it won't hurt you any! :rolly:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Ohio Jones said:
Sorry to disappoint you Brock, but with no draft picks in hand and lots of financial incentives to become more competitive, I opted against the sell-off. Still, with my luck I'll probably net out at around .500 hockey anyway, so it won't hurt you any! :rolly:

lol thats alright. At least you made Sean happy I'm sure!

He's dying for some competition for that 8th spot! :joker:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Brock said:
lol thats alright. At least you made Sean happy I'm sure!

He's dying for some competition for that 8th spot! :joker:

Well, far be it from me to make Sean happy - maybe the sim will continue to conspire against him and keep him out of the lottery. For my part I hope I don't have to worry about him - not because I won't be in the playoffs, but because I hope to be giving the rest of the West (the Flames, Kings, Ducks, Wings and Sharks) a run for their money.

Here's to hoping! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad