Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: What the **** is next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Kapanen is twice the player Puljujärvi is. Having watched at least 15 Leafs games this year, in maybe half of them Kapanen looked better than Puljujärvi in any game ever.
Kapanen has also been developed longer and wasn't exposed too early. When you look at their production curves, they're really not that different. Assuming JP 'breaks out' next season, one could expect something a bit better than what Kapanen has done this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
That's a massive overpayment for a guy on pace for roughly 50 points playing in a stacked top 6.

Talbot, 2nd for Kapenen max.

That seems like a lot to pay for Kapanen, no? Maybe I'm being a homer here I don't see anything eye popping about his stats or play that warrants paying a pretty decent backup (previously at least...), former top pick with potential and another pick for him. Edit - lol I see that others have said the same.

I'm kind of on board with it...51/49.

My reasons are Talbot being an upcoming UFA is going to decrease his trade value especially seeing how his play has been the last two seasons. JP has a huge question mark on his development. I hope he figures it out soon in an Oilers uni but management isn't going to wait for him to go the Yakupov route and again take a massive hit on his trade value waiting for him to never figure it out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are other right shot wingers out there that could be acquired for the same price as posted in that thread. Kapanen is also coming off his ELC and will need a raise on his next deal.

Pros and cons to it for sure.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Both players are hot garbage. I agree that I’d prefer Strome over Spooner, but holy **** Chiarelli has managed to turn Eberle into a nothing asset.
Spooner is worse than a nothing asset, seems like we can't give him away, so he's actually a negative asset.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Kapanen has also been developed longer and want exposed to early. When you look at their production curves, they're really not that different. Assuming JP 'breaks out' next season, one could expect something a bit better than what Kapanen has done this season.

There is no "assuming" with young players. They either do it or not. There is very little in his game right now that would lead one to believe he is trending in that direction. I'm hoping a light goes on up there, but who knows. Kapanen is really good right now, and that's all that matters.

Reactions: frag2

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Spooner is worse than a nothing asset, seems like we can't give him away, so he's actually a negative asset.

It will probably get to the point where we either have to buy him out and take the penalty up the keester, or give away another draft pick just for someone to take him off of our hands.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'm kind of on board with it...51/49.

My reasons are Talbot being an upcoming UFA is going to decrease his trade value especially seeing how his play has been the last two seasons. JP has a huge question mark on his development. I hope he figures it out soon in an Oilers uni but management isn't going to wait for him to go the Yakupov route and again take a massive hit on his trade value waiting for him to never figure it out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are other right shot wingers out there that could be acquired for the same price as posted in that thread. Kapanen is also coming off his ELC and will need a raise on his next deal.

Pros and cons to it for sure.

I stopped following Kapanen closely once he got traded to the Leafs, but he doesn't strike me as the type of pickup I'd want to move JP for - more of a playmaker than shooter, not proven still and playing in pretty much an ideal environment for him. I'm okay with paying that kind of price for a similar caliber of player but I've admittedly followed the NHL less closely this year so I don't have any good candidates off the top of my head. Painfully Aberg currently looks like the type of player I'd want lol (but he was clearly not working out here).

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I stopped following Kapanen closely once he got traded to the Leafs, but he doesn't strike me as the type of pickup I'd want to move JP for - more of a playmaker than shooter, not proven still and playing in pretty much an ideal environment for him. I'm okay with paying that kind of price for a similar caliber of player but I've admittedly followed the NHL less closely this year so I don't have any good candidates off the top of my head. Painfully Aberg currently looks like the type of player I'd want lol (but he was clearly not working out here).

Swap out Kapanen for Nylander. :laugh:

Disclaimer: joke post made (before I get shredded for not considering the cap and I am aware the Oilers cannot take Nylander's contract on).

Let's remove JP from the equation. Talbot and a conditional 2nd realistically gets us what from the Leafs? Don't say Kapanen lol.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Disclaimer: joke post made (before I get shredded for not considering the cap and I am aware the Oilers cannot take Nylander's contract on).

Let's remove JP from the equation. Talbot and a conditional 2nd realistically gets us what from the Leafs? Don't say Kapanen lol.

Dermott? If we had a good GM that would have been my bet but instead we burned assets on non puck moving guys instead...

Reactions: McFuhryous

North

Jun 25, 2009

Probably someone in the Connor Brown, Zach Hyman, or Par Lindholm range.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Well Puljujärvi ain't developing at all here. At least Kapanen is already developed.

I would bet decent money that if Kapanen came here his game would fall apart immediately. We need him to either be a shooter, do board work well, or carry a line. As far as I've seen he doesn't do any of that.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That seems like a lot to pay for Kapanen, no? Maybe I'm being a homer here I don't see anything eye popping about his stats or play that warrants paying a pretty decent backup (previously at least...), former top pick with potential and another pick for him.

Edit - lol I see that others have said the same.

He's on pace for 30 goals as a 22 year old, kills penalties and has pedigree as a scoring winger at all levels. Yes, he plays on a stacked team but he's going to be playing with a highly skilled center here as well unless the Oilers coach, whoever that might be, throws him into the bottom 6 for some reason so it's not like he'll be playing with chopped liver here.

If the price is Pulju+Talbot (salary dump at this point) plus mid level pick/prospect, I'd definitely do it. Kapanen right now is basically what we hope that Pulju would be in his prime. The only issue is that they'd have to pay him after the season so that could be problematic.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Well Puljujärvi ain't developing at all here. At least Kapanen is already developed.

I'm failing to see what your point is here. In my opinion they aren't comparable at the moment. Sure Kapenen is better right now, but how is that relevant at all to Pulju? Because they are both finnish?

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
The Oilers should not be trading away any prospects. Instead, we should be adding to our prospect pool.

Trade deadline deals:
Cam Talbot
Ryan Spooner
Al Montoya
Alex Petrovic
Manning
Benning
Lucic
Kassian
Reider (don't see him resigning)
Brodziak

The only problem is that I traded half of our team away

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
I'm failing to see what your point is here. In my opinion they aren't comparable at the moment. Sure Kapenen is better right now, but how is that relevant at all to Pulju? Because they are both finnish?
Kapanen is worth significantly more than Puljujärvi and I would happily add + to Pulju to get him here.

Not that the Leafs would move him for anything reasonable.

Reactions: DerpMorg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
On the Mains I posted Lucic and JP for Kovalchuk and Clifford.

No retention at all. Would you do it?

JP still has some potential and is very young. By making that trade you are basically throwing in the towel on a 4th overall pick after 2 years of sporadic development in a bad organization. Do you think that makes sense?

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
On the Mains I posted Lucic and JP for Kovalchuk and Clifford.

No retention at all. Would you do it?
Kovalchuk is barely a top-six forward right now, while Clifford is a fourth liner. JP is a young prospect who could be a top six player for the future so I wouldn't trade him away for that package. And I wouldn't add Lucic to a valuable asset to trade him away

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The Oilers should not be trading away any prospects. Instead, we should be adding to our prospect pool.

Trade deadline deals:
Cam Talbot
Ryan Spooner
Al Montoya
Alex Petrovic
Manning
Benning
Lucic
Kassian
Reider (don't see him resigning)
Brodziak

The only problem is that I traded half of our team away

And that's a BAD thing?:laugh:

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Are there any good KHL forwards that the Oilers could bring in? We could try to replicate the success Flordia has with Dadonov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad