Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
McDavid
Driasaitl
Nuge
4c
We don't have the wingers for that. By the time we get down to Nuge he is going to have Lucic and Kassian as wingers.
Hell with the money we have that means we need 4 top 6 guys which is impossible.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Who showed the most emotion and looked like the cared the most when a Jersey got tossed on the ice here...Ben Scrivens.

Totally OT... but I think Ben Scrivens was one of the better leaders we've had on this team in some time. In fact I'd argue his personal accountability is probably the only reason he was playing in the NHL in the first place. Unfortunately it's pretty tough to remain a leader for very long when your own play is deteriorating.... but even that... it's a bit chicken or egg. Ben's fall from grace was quick and intertwined with guys quitting on each other and then on him. Resilient teams (and we've not been one since Smytty/Gator/Pronger) have leaders that don't allow each other to quit, even when one guy or a few guys are struggling and not getting it done.

I'd also argue the same thing happened to Dubby (who withstood longer because he was not a fiery leader type) and (to a lesser extent) Talbot.

But that's just me playing "goalie shrink".

Reactions: Oilhawks and nabob

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
All the teams who won cups recently split up there top players.

Malkin/Crosby, Toews/Kane, Kopitar/Carter, Bergeron/Kreji,
Ror/Tarasenko.

Even OV and Backstrom were split when they won.

Drai and McD need to be split. Period.
Drai needs a player like we saw with Hall.
McD was playing just fine w/ RNH. I have no clue why that was changed,?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If Eberle played like atop 6 player he would still be here.
If Oilers could net a top pairing RD for cheaper, Hall would still be here.

And that’s the problem with this organization, running guys out of town for no reason. Eb’s just signed a long term 5.5M contract in New York. So it wasn’t like he’s massively overpaid. Holland never makes those trades.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
That’s a weird tangent to go off on.

Who showed the most emotion and looked like the cared the most when a Jersey got tossed on the ice here...Ben Scrivens.

You know who didn’t seem to care much when things were bad here... Moreau, Horcoff, and the other guys who had played a ton of hockey, all of it with the Oilers.

Jersey tossing started after Moreau and Horcoff we’re gone IIRC

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Ror/Tarasenko.

It was changed because McDavid and Draisaitl have far better chemistry and the 2nd line wasn't producing much with Drai or RNH.
The team, as current constructed, is better with McDrai and RNH than they are with McNuge and Drai because McDrai is FAR more productive than McNuge.

Also, if McDavid and Drai are split, it should be Drai and RNH together on the 2nd line and let the best line driver take the scraps and try to turn them into useful producers. I don't know why that hasn't been tried. Instead, they stick Drai or RNH with the worst wingers and give McDavid the best winger for 3 years now since Drai/Hall. Odd

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Trouba apparently close to 7 years at 7.5-8mil

I really hope he ends up at 7.5mil and Myers ends up a touch less.

Reactions: Faelko

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

Ror/Tarasenko.

First thing you are arguing for splitting up players pre-emptively cause teams who won the cup did it, but the basic fact is we are a million miles away from winning a cup, much less be in the playoffs, if your argument was these teams did it and it led to better regular season success it would be of greater import. A lot of teams have had greater regular seasons largely off the back of one super line, it's in the playoffs where that dynamic often changes, when defensive structure and heavy game-planning upset what worked in the regular season.

The moral of the story is you need 2 good lines, so in the event one gets shut down the other can step up, it isn't you must keep the teams best players away from each other, you need a 2nd line you can count on, which fairly we are a long way off from having. Also in a lot of the examples you provided it was either two players who could independently drive their line and make the individuals around them better or two players who are natural C's through and through, to this point Drai is a winger more than he is a center.

Nit-picking I'd say Kuznetsov outplayed Backstrom in that years playoff push and it was actually OV and Kuznetsov who were the top 2 forwards, you could also make the same argument of it being ROR and Schwartz for the Blues, but that was close enough to argue either way.

If we could get back Hall or a Hall level player (and fit it in our budget) then great, but till then best make do with what we got. McDavid and Drai duo from a numbers perspective heavily outperformed the McDavid RNH duo last year, and RNH on our no mans land 2nd line outperformed Drai when he was put into that same situation. Things will likely change as next season progresses even great duos tend to get shuffled around at some point, but it seems likely that McDavid + Drai is something we are going to see a lot of going forward.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If Eberle played like atop 6 player he would still be here.
If Oilers could net a top pairing RD for cheaper, Hall would still be here.
But... he did.

What you should be saying is "If the idiot GM didn't suddenly crave cap space that he wasn't going to use, Eberle would still be here."

Reactions: Aerrol

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

Brassard prove it deal please.

Finally some rumblings about 3C.

I could see Talbot having a bounce back year but still not sure I would give him a contract. Hopefully he continues letting in his first shot ..hehe

Reactions: Aerchon

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Whats everyone opinion on Keith Kinkaid? He had an up year n followed by a bit of a down year last season. But the entire Devil's roster took a step back last season.

I hardly ever watched him play though. He'd most likely be on the cheaper end of things contract wise. Would he be good enough to 30-40 games a season for us?

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Brassard is a shadow of what he was, and he’s definitely trending downward. I say no go for Brassard. He’s going to be nothing compared to his predicted ask of around 4M

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Brassard prove it deal please.

Brassard seems sort of like Sam Gagner to me. A guy who is better off on wing because he kind of sucks defensively and isn't good at faceoffs. I used to like the player quite a bit though.

He'd probably be worth a shot at ~1-1.5M. Not sure what kind of a contract he's getting though.

Reactions: joestevens29

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Brassard last year with PIT:
upload_2019-6-28_9-44-52.png

upload_2019-6-28_9-45-8.png

Boyle with NJD:
upload_2019-6-28_9-46-13.png

upload_2019-6-28_9-46-35.png

Conclusion: they both suck but at least Boyle slowed everything down kinda. Important to note that Boyle in NSH was more similar to Brassard in Pittsburgh, bad offensively and defensively

Last edited:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I have lots of time for Boyle. He would be a great fit. Does everything.

I kind of do too but I’m worried time is catching up with him. The thought of a big bodied C that can win draws and PK is something we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad