Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Wake Me Up When June Ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Do we have any CBA gurus around here? @Fourier, maybe?

I was thinking about trading for Reimer with retention, but curious how it works with how his contract is structured. He's owed $2.25m in signing bonus and only $850k in salary in the second year of his deal. If Florida retains 50%($1.7M), would Florida be paying 100% of his salary that year along with another $850k of his signing bonus?

He'd be a fairly risk-free add if you could pay the $1.4M signing bonus on July 1st 2020 and then move him as a guy with a $1.7M cap hit and owed zero dollars in actual salary.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Some of the names Friedman mentioned in his article for the Oilers...

Connolly, Carr, Tanev

Is there a guy in the organization who just mass texts everyone in the media with our exact targets? Only heard these same names from 4 other sources.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Some of the names Friedman mentioned in his article for the Oilers...

Connolly, Carr, Tanev

Is there a guy in the organization who just mass texts everyone in the media with our exact targets? Only heard these same names from 4 other sources.
Stuff like this often comes from the agents too. Or someone sees an agent in town and deducts from there.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Friedman's 31 thoughts:

31 Thoughts: Could short-term deals break RFA stalemates? - Sportsnet.ca

15. The goalie carousel: San Jose would like to move Aaron Dell, who has a $1.9 million cap hit and $1.6 million in cash. It’s believed the Sharks tried to make it part of the Patrick Marleau trade, which complicated things for an extra 12 hours or so. Mike Smith’s been tied to Calgary (along with Cam Talbot), Carolina and Edmonton. There been a bit of linkage with the Oilers: Petr Mrazek; Semyon Varlamov, too, but his price is high. Heard some talk of James Reimer, but that’s cooled. Curtis McElhinney was hoping for a two-year deal, and may get it.

16. We always get blinded by the stars, but St. Louis’s grinding style was very good for Michael Ferland and Wayne Simmonds. A couple clubs suspect Minnesota will make the biggest pitch for Simmonds, but there’s plenty of interest. Both the Blues and Bruins were four-line teams, good for Noel Acciari and Joonas Donskoi. I think Edmonton and Los Angeles are among the teams that checked in on Brandon Tanev. The Oilers are exploring everywhere for wingers: from Brett Connolly to Tanev to AHL MVP Daniel Carr. Jesse Puljujarvi’s preference is to resume his NHL career outside of Canada; someplace a little quieter. Boston, Carolina and Tampa Bay are among the possibilities.

17. There was a trade rumour every 10 minutes involving Jason Zucker. Arizona, Edmonton, Toronto, Washington…you name it.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Do we have any CBA gurus around here? @Fourier, maybe?

I was thinking about trading for Reimer with retention, but curious how it works with how his contract is structured. He's owed $2.25m in signing bonus and only $850k in salary in the second year of his deal. If Florida retains 50%($1.7M), would Florida be paying 100% of his salary that year along with another $850k of his signing bonus?

He'd be a fairly risk-free add if you could pay the $1.4M signing bonus on July 1st 2020 and then move him as a guy with a $1.7M cap hit and owed zero dollars in actual salary.
If Florida retains 50% then they are on the hook for 1/2 of what ever money is owed going forward from the date he is traded. So they would be on the hook for $1.125M of his 2020 signing bonus and $425K of his salary. So lets say the Oilers got him at 50% retained. They could pay their share of the signing bonus $1.125M and all he would be owed would be $425k. So yes he would be a very low risk at 50% retained.

Reimer 30% retained for Manning would be a solid trade for the Oilers. They would get Reimer at a cap hit of $2.38M this year but they also shed the full Manning cap hit so really it is like getting Reimer at about $1.25M this year.

Florida could buyout Manning and they would save both real money and a little cap space.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Shit. I hope Mrazek hasn't ruled Edmonton out. I'm not crazy about Smith at all. I was hoping for Varlamov but as suspected, he wants too much cake.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Here’s my YOLO offseason scenario (copying some ideas from @CycloneSweep)

Larsson + Puljujarvi for Ehlers + Roslovic + pick (for cap)

RNH + Russell and a pick for Zucker + a pick

Benning+Bear+pick for Carrier+Miller

Brodziak for futures

Hebig+Khaira+Yakimov+Kass+2nd for Jarry+Simon+pick

Gagner+Safin for CBJ 3rd from Ottawa

Sign:
Haas and Jaskin 925,000
Connolly 3.5x3
Pirri 2.8x2
Donskoi 3x2
Heed 1.2x2

Cap space: 800k

Zucker-McDavid-Donskoi
Pirri-Drai-Ehlers
Carrier-Haas-Connolly
Nygard-Roslovic-Simon
Jaskin

Klef-Miller
Nurse-Sekera
Jones-Heed
Persson

Koskinen
Jarry

Forwards are a good mix of scorers (Connolly,Drai, Zucker), drivers (McD,Ehlers, Carrier, Pirri) and underrated defensive players (Jaskin, Simon, Donskoi).

Defence core is also a good mix of drivers and scorers, and Heed is borderline 2nd pairing at this rate.

Only weakness is goaltending, but all you can really do is just pray that hockey gods are on your side since goaltending is so inconsistent between seasons (unless you have a top end elite goalie)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
****. I hope Mrazek hasn't ruled Edmonton out. I'm not crazy about Smith at all. I was hoping for Varlamov but as suspected, he wants too much cake.

It's the Oilers. Expect the worst, and anything better than that is a positive. ;)

Reactions: McFuhryous
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->