Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: I've Got Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The question becomes can we win with rolling out Bear-Barrie and Bouchard long term? IMO Barrie adds an element that the other two don't in terms of his skating and jumping into the play that would supplement our offensive depth and improve the offensive options with our skilled lines. If we could sign Barrie for under $6 million I would probably make that deal and not even care if Jesse breaks out for the Leafs.

Barrie wont take under 6. My guess he will get 7 to 8.

We have enough d running around without adding a big ticket item

We are already talking about trying to give russell away to spend money elsewhere.

We need forwards who can score more than A d man

Reactions: BlackDogg

Vader611

Nov 8, 2019
Who would take this deal?

Larsson + Bouchard + Pulju + Gagner for Hall + Vatanen + NJ 1st this year

Devils wouldnt trade their first. I wouldn't do it, no interest in signing Hall for the $$ and term he will want, Trading Bouchard just sets us back in our quest to ever have a high offense defenseman :p

Vader611

Nov 8, 2019
The problem with that is that Puljujarvi doesn't exactly push the dial very far in a package for an established player.

There's uncertainty with Puljujarvi. If we want full value for him, there's uncertainty coming back.

Throwing him in a deal for a rental would just be a waste.

Alex Nylander and Dylan Strome both got good returns, both were labeled busts by HF. GM's see things different :p

Reactions: 780il and Cloned

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Alex Nylander and Dylan Strome both got good returns, both were labeled busts by HF. GM's see things different :p
Nylander still has exempt status. And Perlini was also a part of that Strome deal which had a lot to do with cap flexibility. The only thing we've got going for Puljujarvi is that he's willfully gone home so an NHL team doesn't have to force him onto their roster.

You're right though. Certain GMs value players differently than others. But it's pretty rare to see a downward trending prospect moved as the key piece in a deal for a quality established player.

Vader611

Nov 8, 2019
Nylander still has exempt status. And Perlini was also a part of that Strome deal which had a lot to do with cap flexibility. The only thing we've got going for Puljujarvi is that he's willfully gone home so an NHL team doesn't have to force him onto their roster.

You're right though. Certain GMs value players differently than others. But it's pretty rare to see a downward trending prospect moved as the key piece in a deal for a quality established player.

Jokiharju and Schmaltz were both quality... Nylander and Strome couldn't stick in the NHL and were Puljujarvi's age.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I feel like if you got Nylander, you'd have to separate Connor and Drai. I feel like Nylander and Nuge wouldn't go well together. But we've soon Nuge succeed with Connor and I feel like Nylander and Draisaitl could be good

Not necessarily. It all depends who the 3rd guy on the line is. Nuge has done well with a smaller guy as long as he also has a big body as well (Pouliot - Nuge -Ebs for example). You might be able to go

Drai - McDavid - Neal
Kassian - Nuge - Nylander

I'd take Johnsson way before Kapanen, personally.

Same points this year, but he seems like the much better player to me.

as would I. Kapanen is one of the most overrated players in the league.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Jokiharju and Schmaltz were both quality... Nylander and Strome couldn't stick in the NHL and were Puljujarvi's age.
Jokiharju was also a prospect and the Schmaltz deal as I've just clarified was cap-driven and contained two first-round prospects.

Odds are that when you offer up Puljujarvi in a deal for a player like Kreider, he's not pushing the dial very far. Kreider as a rental has the potential of returning a decent bundle of picks--potentially even a 1st. You throw Puljujarvi in a bundle like that, you're essentially valuing him as a mid-round draft pick. If you have no intention of re-signing that player, you're devaluing your prospect even further.

These trades are good evidence that there's a market for struggling players with good draft pedigree. But I wouldn't use them as a gauge of what to expect in terms of a trade return. Especially when you're not recognizing waiver exempt status.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
FWIW here's Brooksie's take.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/10/rangers-lias-andersson-dilemma-may-need-trade-resolution/?utm_source=url_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons
So at this point, perhaps it would be best for all concerned to move Andersson in a trade, but what value could he possibly carry? If the team’s semi-interest in winger Jesse Puljujarvi, currently playing in his native Finland as an unsigned Edmonton restricted free agent, escalates over the next couple of weeks, sending Andersson the other way would seem logical.
After all, that would be an exchange of a disappointing fourth-overall for a disappointing seventh-overall. But unfortunately, Peter Chiarelli no longer sits in the Edmonton GM chair and good luck to Jeff Gorton convincing his counterpart Ken Holland that the players have equal value.
Because whatever value Andersson has is depleted by the day. It is depleted when he can’t get off the bench. It is depleted when he is stuck on a fourth line on a team that doesn’t go overboard with its usage.
Pretty easy to see why a lot of the Rangers aren't big fans of the guy. More pessimistic than anyone in our media circle.

Reactions: Vader611

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Barrie wont take under 6. My guess he will get 7 to 8.

We have enough d running around without adding a big ticket item

We are already talking about trying to give russell away to spend money elsewhere.

We need forwards who can score more than A d man
Barrie needs to produce to command anything more than 6M.
Without his offense he isn't even a 4M Dman. The man has 0 goals and is on pace for 22 pts this season with a pretty sad +/-.
He can command 7M if we acquired him and he puts up 50 pts this season. Doubt it happens.

Vader611

Nov 8, 2019
Perlini is just ok though, 2014 was a terrible draft. Holland is patient, he will get what he wants or we will see Puljujarvi playing for the Oilers in the future :p

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Plus I’d be more comfortable taking a Swedish player over a Finnish player personally.
Paajarvi, Lander , Omark … we don't discriminate when it comes to ruining prospects.
Kapanen is right shot, PKs and is a RFA at the end.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Perlini is just ok though, 2014 was a terrible draft. Holland is patient, he will get what he wants or we will see Puljujarvi playing for the Oilers in the future :p
Oh, Perlini is absolute garbage. My point is that these are young players with a certain level of risk and a certain level of upside attached to them. If you want the best bang for your buck, be willing to take on some risk yourself.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Without his offense he isn't even a 4M Dman. The man has 0 goals and is on pace for 22 pts this season with a pretty sad +/-.
He can command 7M if we acquired him and he puts up 50 pts this season. Doubt it happens.

He's definitely struggling under a new system but when you put up the numbers six seasons in a row before that, I'm not sure if these last 20 games are the sample size we should be looking at.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
May be petty of me but want Oil to trade fo Hall just so Flames dont do a JG for signed Hall trade

would suck to see Hall as Flame AND he is better JG so would make them better so if we can stop it we should

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Gaudreau scored 99 points last season. He's younger, cheaper and better than Hall.
And Hall had 93 in 76 games a year prior despite his only support being a rookie 52 point Nico Hischier. Hall is every bit as good as Gaudreau and isn't nearly as easily neutralized by physical play and tight checking. The only concern with Hall is injuries, but aside from that I'd much rather the Flames have Gaudreau going into a playoff series than having Hall.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And Hall had 93 in 76 games a year prior despite his only support being a rookie 52 point Nico Hischier. Hall is every bit as good as Gaudreau and isn't nearly as easily neutralized by physical play and tight checking. The only concern with Hall is injuries, but aside from that I'd much rather the Flames have Gaudreau going into a playoff series than having Hall.

Gaudreau is more durable and consistent IMO. The playoffs are a different animal but IMO Gaudreau gets you to the playoffs more times than Hall does due to his injury history.

Reactions: belair

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Johnny is pretty good. I rank him above Hall.
Ideally CGY trade JG for Hall+conditoinal pick and then Hall bolts after the season to EDM.

I don't think Gaudreau is sticking around in Alberta once he hits free agency

Reactions: McFlyingV

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Exactly. If he gets moved and doesn't gain much traction with another team it will hurt his bargaining position.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Johnny is pretty good. I rank him above Hall.
Ideally CGY trade JG for Hall+conditoinal pick and then Hall bolts after the season to EDM.

I don't think Gaudreau is sticking around in Alberta once he hits free agency

IMO Hall at his best > Gaudreau at his best. The problem for Hall is that Gaudreau has been more consistent the last handful of years.

Reactions: iCanada

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Until Hall provides any source of consistent health, he's good for about 60 points on average. I agree that when assuming both are healthy, these two players are essentially a wash, but Hall's health is absolutely a factor.

He's in year 10 of his NHL career. He's topped 80 points twice and 60 points three times. Sub-point-per-game player. Calgary would never make that trade and they'd be insane to consider it.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019

Meh, Holland should call up Treliving right now, I bet we could get Bennet for Pullijarvi straight up with Calgary eating some salary

Reactions: Bryanbryoil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad