Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread III: Insert clever title here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Thats the problem. If theres a wound and infection on/in his ankle, it won't heal with movement. Which is why I don't think he could have been doing a lot of cardio and lower body exercises.

So you're saying he was lying about working out a ton?

Gregor: I know that your teammates have always marveled at just how good of shape you are in. Even amongst NHL players, you kind of standout physically. Did you lose any of that during these three months or have you been able to train like you usually do?

Klefbom: Oh yeah, I would say I’m more fit now than ever. I spend so much time in the gym just to keep the physical part in shape. I mean we have so much good stuff going on at the rink in the gym. I think that the trainers helped me a lot this year, especially Chad our trainer has been unreal for me. I think I’m in really good shape right now and I think that it’s very easy, especially when you’re out for such a long time that you maybe slow down a little bit and maybe you go the easy way because you know that you’re not going to play anymore this season, but I really want to focus and just be in the best shape I can be and prepare myself the good possible way.

Gregor: Well if you’re in better shape than ever that’s impressive considering you were a guy who was always in tip top shape. Was being able to train the only thing to keep you going mentally?

Klefbom: Exactly and like you said, if I cannot be on the ice and skate and show some progress there, I just want to put all of my effort and all of my energy in the gym and try to be better there. I do all I can to be a better hockey player and the situation this season is that I am going to spend a lot of time in the gym and that’s what I’ve been doing. I try to prepare myself anyway I can for the next season for sure.

link

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
people said the same thing about taylor hall but i think he shed those

head stomps and fluke ankle breaks

I dont know if you can find one player currently that is a fluke injury player over 4 years. Most have 2 or 3 injuries and then have 75+ games from there on out

Its the guys with 1 nagging injury that have the issues

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sure, but if there was that much irritation there I just don't see the guy being able to run 3 miles daily. He could maybe do squats but even then with and infection in his ankle I think it's more then likely he didn't because of the pressure put on your ankle while squatting. Plyometrics again would put a ton of pressure on an infected ankle. I just don't see him being able to do much lower body work without the infection in his ankle becoming a problem.

I have to think part of it is that skates are hard and shoes can be rather soft. The rubbing is just not as severe.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
So you're saying he was lying about working out a ton?

link

No I'm saying his lower body and cardio probably isn't where it needs to be. He can spend tons of time working out his upper body in the gym, but I still find it highly unlikely he was doing much on that ankle.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Thats the problem. If theres a wound and infection on/in his ankle, it won't heal with movement. Which is why I don't think he could have been doing a lot of cardio and lower body exercises.

Normal footwear and movement were fine.

It was just the rubbing in the skate that messed with the thin skin.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
People saying he's not injury prone because of a few fluke injuries isn't the same thing as people disputing that he's had injuries

People in the past have over defended Klefbom by saying he hasn't had many injuries. Which he clearly has.

It has almost certainly hindered his development. I don't know how anyone could say otherwise.

His play, the last however many games before he was injured, is the only stint of hockey that I have been impressed by him in Oilers silks.

He had a another brief moment of glory the previous year against bottom pairing competition and everyone gushed. After Petry was traded he got absolutely slaughtered by mid pairing competition.

He also had a brutal start to this last season as well before ramping it up nicely.

I am glad he looked great in his last bit, but like others here have pointed out, he is still widely unproven.

He could regress drastically. I was impressed enough to think that is unlikely now but it is certainly still possible.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I have to think part of it is that skates are hard and shoes can be rather soft. The rubbing is just not as severe.

Well of course theres that. But with an infection in the ankle theres going to be inflammation and pain in the ankle. From the sounds of it they had to debride the area to get rid of the infection. So he's also have a huge wound on the side that would need to heal. How many gaping wounds have you seen heal on a joint that is used strenuously everyday?

Last edited:

Gretzky to Kurri

May 9, 2015
Normal footwear and movement were fine.

It was just the rubbing in the skate that messed with the thin skin.

Yeah, a skate is far more rigid, hot, and moist (sweaty). All skates, to some degree have hot spots of friction. Ie 'lace bite'

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well of course theres that. But with an infection in the ankle theres going to be inflammation and pain in the ankle. From the sounds of it they had to debride the area to get rid of the infection. So he's also have a huge wound on the side that would need to heal. How many gaping wound have you seen heal on a joint that is used strenuously everyday?

None really, but I'm not really in the medical field.

My actual question would be why was he working out so hard and not just letting it heal, but as he said they were trying to get back

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
NHL expansion could be deferred to 2018-19, per Bill Daly. There's still a chance for 2017-18, though.

Oufff. Not sure what to think of that. We are actually set up really nice for expansion draft with potentially only Sekera as best exposed player. This would likely benefit a good amount of teams with NMCs. There goes hope of taking advantage of team looking to save assets from being exposed

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Oufff. Not sure what to think of that. We are actually set up really nice for expansion draft with potentially only Sekera as best exposed player. This would likely benefit a good amount of teams with NMCs. There goes hope of taking advantage of team looking to save assets from being exposed

Not really shocked to be honest. There were a few guys after the last GM meeting asking whether or not expansion would happen so soon. But a lot just assumed it was a go.

Sekera isn't expose though, he has NMC.

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
Would we do this trade would Montreal?

Hall + Eberle + Yak + Nurse + 4th for Subban + Callagher + 9th
2 nd + 4th for Shaw (resisgn 3 x 3)
9th oal I hope to get Brown big 3 c of the future (prob ready next year)
Resign Pak 2 x 1.25 m
Resign Gryba 1.5 mil
Sign Fleishmen or similar 3rd line Vet 1.5 - 2 mil for 1 or 2 years
Sign G C.Johnson (1m)

Maroon McDavid Gallagher = 8.25 Have McDavid getting 2 of 3 boniuses
Pouliot Nuge Drai = 13.25 Have Drai again hitting 2 of 3 bonuses
Fleishmen Shaw Pak = 5.75
Hendi Lets Kas = 5.15
Lander Korp =3.5

Klef Subban = 13.167
Sekera Fayne = 9.125
Davidson Reinhardt/Gryba = 3
Gryba /Reihardt =1.5

Talbot 4.167
Johnson 1

Total 67.9 mil
I beleive this team be a playoff bubble team

Would make expansion draft not a huge concern as all the main parts are easily protected:
Protect 7 forwards
top 2 lines + Shaw
Def protect Klef Sek Sub
Hope Fayne is taken due to ver precense and cap hit help them make the floor
Goalie protect Talbot

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011

Sekera has NMC. ( http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1005 )

Clauses
NMC in 2015-16 to 2018-19,

And so Sekera has to be protected if the expansion is prior to 2019/20.

yar joestevens29 beat me to it

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

It also puts McDavid and Nurse in play. Not good news for the Oilers.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
as the head of the Klefbom fan club--he keeps getting injured and it is never the same injury twice in a row

That's called bad luck.

Nobody is predisposed to broken fingers or staff infections. Players having the same shoulder hurt, repeated concussions or similar groin injuries are the players who are "made of glass".

Dudes who have missed some time to random maladies that have nothing to do with how you play the game are just unlucky. It's not indicative of some pattern that will continue. Any player could suffer this at any time.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
They need to figure this expansion stuff out ASAP. Teams don't build only for the next season. Any team wanting to make a big trade will have to consider when expansion is occurring and which of their young guys will be eligible. It's absurd to expect GMs to function with such uncertainty.

Either figure it out early or make it way less aggressive (allow teams to protect more).

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

A flat cap next year though is VERY good news. This puts the screws to a lot of teams.

Aka 'Hey Columbus. Take our offer of 4th, Oesterle, and a couple 3rds for Jones, or we're more than happy to offer sheet him'

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Oh well. Every team will need to deal with the same sort of consequences.

Still will only lose a maximum of 1 or 2 players depending on how much the league expands by. If a team can't survive the loss of their ~10th best player, even their 10th and 11th best players. The GM isn't very good at their job.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Arguing this Murphy vs Klef/Davidson stuff is silly. Klefbom and Davidson both have really small samples of what they can do. I'm not even convinced yet that Davidson is a permanent fixture on this team. Murphy definitely isn't worth the #4 though.

I couldn't agree more. Lots of reasons to be optimistic about Klefbom and Davidson but I find it strange to try and compare these guy's very limited success.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Atleast it also catches other teams. It doesnt put McDavid in play in that hes exposed, it just exposes a better player at the end of your roster

I said it before but the NHL came out guns blazing on expansion draft and drove a extremely tough bargain. They knew GMs would fight back and grind the rules down, but they wanted to start from a very high place to begin with

If rules were accepted as is, Vegas would have a playoff team since day 1

The rule to have min salary amount left exposed has already been scrapped. I wouldnt be suprised to see NMCs ground down too (like a max of 2/3 ELCs are a forced protect). I could also see # of protection spots increased to 9 or 10 players total

In the end I think well see Pouliot lost to expansion. And thats not a concern for me

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I couldn't agree more. Lots of reasons to be optimistic about Klefbom and Davidson but I find it strange to try and compare these guy's very limited success.

Comparing those guys to a guy with 32 points to his name and some rather poor possession numbers. This isnt comparing them to Seth Jones. Its comparing them to a glorified Ladislav Smid or your run of the mill #4 D.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They need to figure this expansion stuff out ASAP. Teams don't build only for the next season. Any team wanting to make a big trade will have to consider when expansion is occurring and which of their young guys will be eligible. It's absurd to expect GMs to function with such uncertainty.

Either figure it out early or make it way less aggressive (allow teams to protect more).

Decision will come June 22. Will still give teams a couple days before the draft to figure out what they want to do.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

*Dances*

Ok Chiarelli you got a great enviroment for a big trade in our favour. Numerous teams in cap issues, flat cap.... and go

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Decision will come June 22. Will still give teams a couple days before the draft to figure out what they want to do.

Two days doesn't really seem like a lot in the grand scheme of things but it's better than nothing I guess. I hope Chia is good at making quick decisions.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Two days doesn't really seem like a lot in the grand scheme of things but it's better than nothing I guess. I hope Chia is good at making quick decisions.

Id expect teams to know the 3 different options and have 3 different plans for any scenerio. Or atleast youd hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad