Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Comrie to ARI, Dahlstrom to WPG, Everyone else cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Trade Larsson for someone to play the 2nd line le. The d somehow looks better without him and Nuge badly needs someone to help him out 5v5. Add a 2 rounder if you have to.

Jones can go in exchange for a center that can play on the 3rd line. Add Pulju if the return warrants it.

Those are the two holes in the roster rn, fill them and this team can be sustainably dangerous.
For example something like this:

Larsson for Kapanen, Jones + Gagner + 3rd for Pageau

Drai - Mac - Kass
Kappy - Nuge - Steal
Nygard - Pageau - Chia
Khaira - Sheahan - PRussel

Nurse - Bear
Klef - Perss
KRussel - Benning

Smith
Kosko

The goaltending will just have to hold up. Add a vet d at the deadline as insurance for Benning ****ting the bed.
If you are going to trade Larsson shoot higher that Kappanen. He had a great start last year then his game fell off down the stretch. He had a weak playoffs and is off to a bad start this year. He has 2 g and 7 points in his last 29 games while playing a lot of that with Matthews, Marner and Tavares. He has also been a significant defensive liability.

Last edited:

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I honestly think that Caleb Jones is the odd man out. Lagesson is one of many Swede's on our team or in the system and seems to be a shut down type that would work out well for our 3rd pairing to give Nurse and Klefbom a break on the PK and in defensive zone draws once Russell moves on.

Then coming down the pipeline behind Jones, we have Samorukov and Broberg as LHD. Bear is showing very well and Bouchard is a year or less from grabbing a spot by the throat and not letting go. Benning and Jones are the two defensemen that I don't think will finish the season in this organization.

It's too bad because he seems like the Oil prospect with the most talent, but he's not beating Klefbom or Nurse out. I agree that Lagesson is more likely to replace Russell than he is.

Still a lot of season left though.

Also, I have a feeling Russell is gone next off season.

Reactions: PuckNut

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It's too bad because he seems like the Oil prospect with the most talent, but he's not beating Klefbom or Nurse out. I agree that Lagesson is more likely to replace Russell than he is.

Still a lot of season left though.

Also, I have a feeling Russell is gone next off season.

I think it will have more to do with players like Bouchard, Jones and others needing icetime

In theory next year could look like (sans Russell)

Klefbom
Nurse
Larsson
Benning
Bear
Persson
Bouchard
Jones

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If you are going to trade Larsson shoot higher that Kappanen. He had a great start last year then his game fell off down the stretch. He had a weak playoffs and is off to a bad start this year. He has 2 g and 7 points in his last 29 games while playing a lot of that with Marner and Tavares. He has also been a significant defensive liability.
Fair enough. I don't watch the Leafs so I was just throwing something at the wall tbh.

Who would you target in a deal like that?

Reactions: Chabot84

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I think many of you are selling Larsson short. First of all, the oilers are winning now so it is easy to just dump Larsson for a bunch of junk like Little or Kapanen. When the games become tighter later in the season, not having larsson may cost us some wins when we are forced to play Benning up the depth chart especially if Bear or Persson is injured.

Secondly, a RHD is worth a premium on the open market. He is also signed to a cap friendly deal. Larsson can return a solid top 6 forward plus a pick. Tossing him away for a bunch of fossils like Little is complete garbage especially when the Jets are willing to bent over to ger any D. I bet they would offer Ehlers to get a solid D in return.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
If Oilers find a good deal to trade Pulju for, would you guys be okay with this move for next year:

Puljujarvi (Reserve)
Russell
Safin
2021 2nd

to Jets for

Lowry
Copp

Basically 2 very solid third liners (both centres, Copp plays wing too) defensively and play driving. Then sign Haula this UFA with the extra money. I think this’ll give us a pretty good bottom 6 of:

Haula-Lowry-Copp
Khaira-Sheahan-cheap UFA/rookie

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I think it will have more to do with players like Bouchard, Jones and others needing icetime

In theory next year could look like (sans Russell)

Klefbom
Nurse
Larsson
Benning
Bear
Persson
Bouchard
Jones

Bennings days are numbered. What’s his QO next year? To me he’s their 5th best RHD.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I wonder if Larsson can play LHD? If Persson and Bear continue to impress, I’d be curious to see a Larsson-Bouchard 3rd pairing next season

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I think many of you are selling Larsson short. First of all, the oilers are winning now so it is easy to just dump Larsson for a bunch of junk like Little or Kapanen. When the games become tighter later in the season, not having larsson may cost us some wins when we are forced to play Benning up the depth chart especially if Bear or Persson is injured.

Secondly, a RHD is worth a premium on the open market. He is also signed to a cap friendly deal. Larsson can return a solid top 6 forward plus a pick. Tossing him away for a bunch of fossils like Little is complete garbage especially when the Jets are willing to bent over to ger any D. I bet they would offer Ehlers to get a solid D in return.
There is literally no way we'd be able to pull Ehlers for Larsson.

Reactions: Snowman

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
TBH I'd do one of Broberg or Bouchard and send Russell back the other way.

Nurse - Doughty
Klefbom - Larrson

It would be real hard to get the cap to work, just glancing at capfriendly

Better to send Larson and keep our young d .

Klefbom Doughty
Nurse Bear it is working

The problem is what we have to send along with Larsson . We still need to build up some forwards wth top 6 upside . Trading away 1st don't get us there . I would do

Larsson , Yamamoto/Benson , Manning a couple of 2nds , Jones and a couple of B prospects . Lots of meh in there so I am sure the Kings would pass

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Looks like John Marino has taken Gudbranson's spot on the Penguins roster. Wish we could have gotten something more for him. :(

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Looks like John Marino has taken Gudbranson's spot on the Penguins roster. Wish we could have gotten something more for him. :(

Good for him. I'm happy we got anything for him really... he wasn't signing here when he had to compete with Benning, Persson, Bear, and Bouchard for a spot on the right side.

Hoping we don't continue to run into these issues. Like... if Kesselring develops into a player but chooses to sign with an American team, it becomes frustrating.

I wonder if Larsson can play LHD? If Persson and Bear continue to impress, I’d be curious to see a Larsson-Bouchard 3rd pairing next season

People have talked about Lagesson at 3LD once Russell is gone. Here is an alternative:

Nurse/Bear
Klefbomb/(Persson or Bouchard)
Jones/Larsson

Jones is a mobile puck-moving D, could pair well with Larsson.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If Oilers find a good deal to trade Pulju for, would you guys be okay with this move for next year:

Puljujarvi (Reserve)
Russell
Safin
2021 2nd

to Jets for

Lowry
Copp

Basically 2 very solid third liners (both centres, Copp plays wing too) defensively and play driving. Then sign Haula this UFA with the extra money. I think this’ll give us a pretty good bottom 6 of:

Haula-Lowry-Copp
No way they trade Lowry for that

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

You need a Dman like Larsson to win tight games and playoff games. I wouldn’t move him unless the return was substantial.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Agreed, I would also welcome Cagguila back, good spark plug some games and can get 15 goals, was a solid utility player here

I'd also take back Pitlick. Also anyone who knows me knows I have all the time in the world for Davidson to return as a #7.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I’ve always compared Benning to a poor mans Petry. He’s going to be a solid, all around defenceman soon. Not an all star but a good 2nd pairing Dman.

How soon? This is Benning's 4th season in the NHL. Bear & Persson seem to have passed him. There have been no indications that he can succeed in a top 4 role.

Trying not to hate on the guy, but I think this is what he is at this point.

Reactions: TB12

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Puljujarvi (Reserve)
Russell
Safin
2021 2nd

to Jets for

Lowry
Copp

Haula-Lowry-Copp
Zero chance the Jets do this trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad