Rumoured deal benefits small-market teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2004
I laugh at the posts which say that the smaller market teams are getting hosed. Let's look at a team like Calgary vs a team like Toronto.

Toronto's payroll: 60-70 million
Calgary's Payroll: 25-35 million

Toronto is therefore 20 million over the cap, and the max 10 million over the soft cap. That 10 million goes back into the revenue sharing pot, and the Leafs are forced to purge themselves of all the contracts to get themselves down to 50 mill. The Leafs lose some of their higher paid players, have restrictions placed on them for the following few seasons, and the Flames get a budget of about 35-45 million based on the money collected from other soft cap breakers.

This rumoured deal is a perfect mix of the Baseball system(good for players) and the football system(horrible for players)

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
leafs4thecup said:
I laugh at the posts which say that the smaller market teams are getting hosed. Let's look at a team like Calgary vs a team like Toronto.

Toronto is therefore 20 million over the cap, and the max 10 million over the soft cap. That 10 million goes back into the revenue sharing pot, and the Leafs are forced to purge themselves of all the contracts to get themselves down to 50 mill. The Leafs lose some of their higher paid players, have restrictions placed on them for the following few seasons, and the Flames get a budget of about 35-45 million based on the money collected from other soft cap breakers.

This rumoured deal is a perfect mix of the Baseball system(good for players) and the football system(horrible for players)

Or the leafs use there franchise tag on there overpayed, overrated captain and are under the cap.

Feb 24, 2004
Trying to start a flame war? I'll bite. Overpaid? Overrated?

The man who has scored 1000 pts in 13 seasons? The man who leads the NHL in game winning goals? The first european captain in one of sport's most storied franchises?

buce

Jan 25, 2005
Toronto
leafs4thecup said:

The NFL system is horrible for the players? I would hardly go that far. Any place that pays illiterate criminals that much money has to be good for the players. No one is starving there. Everyone makes such a big deal about the non guaranteed contracts. It works out well for the owners and should be installed in every league, but most of these guys are gettting huge upfront money any way. When you get a 6 million signing bonus and get cut two years later, who really cares?

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
leafs4thecup said:

The man who has scored 1000 pts in 13 seasons? The man who leads the NHL in game winning goals? The first european captain in one of sport's most storied franchises?

Okay okay, Sundins a god in Toronto. But my original point was that the leafs wouldnt have to shred salary because of this supposed franchise tag.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
leafs4thecup said:

Calgary's payroll is $35 mil. If Toronto uses Sundin and his $9 mil as the franchise tag, they can have a payroll of $59 mil (including Sundin), and pay $10 mil in tax penalties.

Calgary, if they are lucky, may pick up $3-4 million in luxury tax payouts (that's assuming 7-8 teams are willing to pay over the tax for a total of $50 mil, and it gets re-distributed among the bottom 15 teams, which seems the most likely scenario).

So Toronto now has a $59 mil payroll and Calgary $35 (assuming they use the $3-4 mil to offset potential losses). So in reality, Calgary still can't afford anymore in terms of payroll, unless they want to go back to incurring losses.

I disagree the footbal system is terrible for players. Not only do they have lucrative signing bonuses, the mere fact that you are set for life if you are on the roster for 3 years is huge. You don't even have to play a down, and as long as you are on the active roster for 3 years, you can kick in for one of the best pensions in pro sports.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
leafs4thecup said:
...one of sport's most storied franchises?

Only the stories that emanate FROM Toronto make the Leafs a "storied franchise". Come on. A storied franchise? One of the NHL's storied franchises? Ok, I'll give you that. But the Leafs are one of sport's most storied franchises? Well, if your list is long enough then I suppose so.

When talking about a "storied franchise", one thinks immediately of:

Manchester United
Green Bay Packers
Montreal Canadiens
New York Yankees
Los Angeles Lakers
Toronto Maple Leafs

There's definitely a gap there.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Jag68Vlady27 said:
Only the stories that emanate FROM Toronto make the Leafs a "storied franchise". Come on. A storied franchise? One of the NHL's storied franchises? Ok, I'll give you that. But the Leafs are one of sport's most storied franchises? Well, if your list is long enough then I suppose so.

When talking about a "storied franchise", one thinks immediately of:

Manchester United
Green Bay Packers
Montreal Canadiens
New York Yankees
Los Angeles Lakers
Toronto Maple Leafs

There's definitely a gap there.

Hey man let the leaf fans have there fun. Everyone outside the centre of the universe knows that the leafs are not even the most storied team in Canadian sports history let alont all of sports history. Hell even the Brooklyn Dodgers who moved out 50 years ago or whatever are a more storied franchise.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
dawgbone said:
Calgary's payroll is $35 mil. If Toronto uses Sundin and his $9 mil as the franchise tag, they can have a payroll of $59 mil (including Sundin), and pay $10 mil in tax penalties.

Calgary, if they are lucky, may pick up $3-4 million in luxury tax payouts (that's assuming 7-8 teams are willing to pay over the tax for a total of $50 mil, and it gets re-distributed among the bottom 15 teams, which seems the most likely scenario).

So Toronto now has a $59 mil payroll and Calgary $35 (assuming they use the $3-4 mil to offset potential losses). So in reality, Calgary still can't afford anymore in terms of payroll, unless they want to go back to incurring losses.

Most likely is the Leafs cut back to around $45-46m+ Sundin's $9m. $55m payroll and $6m in tax. If 6 other teams do something similar that's $36m divided by 24 other teams. $1.5/team in distributed tax. Even if its divided between just 12 teams its still only $3m. Better than nothing, but they won't be getting rich. Average tax exempt payroll will be $46-50m ($40m + $6-10m franchise player).

And this is before factoring in a salary rollback, there might be next to no tax money for the lesser clubs.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
imo the rumored deal with a luxury tax from $40-50 mil helps the small market teams far more than a straight hard cap...

there is going to be a bottom limit that every team has to spend over (probably $30-32 mil) that means that a team like pittsburgh would have to raise their payroll $7+ mil which means that their revenue has to also increase by $7+ mil to avoid being a worse situation then they were before.

so the flexibility to go up to $50 mil doesn't level the playing field as much as say a $38 mil hard cap, but it makes the playing field closer to level then it is now and the luxury tax increases the revenue of those small market teams...

also something to keep in mind about the idea of small market teams losing...all along everyone has just assumed that the players and big markets teams would give up everything and the small market teams would get everything. but in negotiations and compromise there is supposed to be give and take resulting a deal that all parties can be happy with...to me this idea is the logical compromise since day 1 because all parties involve get something out of it

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
leafs4thecup said:

Beauty...a "storied frachise" that hasn't won a cup since there was a 1 in 6 chance of winning one.

let's see 9 mil for Sundin who getting older and slower by the second or 7 mil for Jarome Iginla, the ultimate power forward (and I loathe the Flames!) who's still only 27
you guys are aslo tied up in grandpa Belfour's salary for 3 years

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Listen I hate the leafs as much as the other guy, but they are going to suffer far more than most teams with a new hard cap, we dont need to lay it on them even more.

Feb 24, 2004
A 77 year old team that has won 13 cups and has the largest fan base(for hockey) in the world. More than the Habs. More than the Wings.

IF there is a thirty game season, with the Leafs avoiding the injury plague, they will win the Cup, and some of you trolls can finally shut your mouths.

Brent Burns Beard