Rumour, Trade & FA Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Good work compiling those stats on Granlund, but you also have to look at who he was playing with during those years. As a coach, who would you have take a d-zone draw on an icing, Granlund or Mikko Koivu/Eric Staal? Just because he has not taken a ton of draws does not mean he could not play center IMHO.

Regardless of whomever fills this spot, Chevy absolutely needs to fill this in the offseason. This has been 3 years that we're spending assets in filling a hole.

We can't really afford to take the patient approach much longer. Time to pull the trigger on something. I heard a second or 3rd might snag Borgstrom. I'd be inclined to explore that, even.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Monahan would be interesting as I don't know that he is more then an average 1C but he would likely fit in very well behind Scheifele and give us 60ish points year.

I still don't see why the Flames would move him. He's not having a great year but that seems a silly reason to deal someone.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Monahan would be interesting as I don't know that he is more then an average 1C but he would likely fit in very well behind Scheifele and give us 60ish points year.

I still don't see why the Flames would move him. He's not having a great year but that seems a silly reason to deal someone.

I agree, I just don't see it barring someone going back that could fill his position now or in the very near future........Jets have no one like that barring Mark S which isn't happening of course.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I realize their fans are reeling after last years division champs took the early exit ramp but a full rebuild feels premature. Was this A rumour Of substance? I have been off the grid the last few days.

No, not as far as I know. I'm saying he would only be available if they went for a full rebuild. There has been some Monahan talk/speculation here recently. I'm assuming it started with some unhappy Flames fans. I also assume they were whinging about Monahan, not a rebuild.

They have been spinning their wheels for a couple of years, though they did finish 1st in the Pacific last year. It looks like that was a bit of a mirage. They went out of the PO quickly. They have traded away a lot of draft picks over the last 3 years, acquiring a lot of Dmen. Now 5 of the 9 D on their roster are pending UFA's. Their best remaining D man will be 37 going into next season. Their strength is that D corps that appears to be leaving. They don't have a lot of quality in their system. It isn't a pretty picture. So, who knows, maybe a rebuild makes some sense?

Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Which of our prospects are kicking down the doors. Not many. I mean Chisholm is exciting but how much is that because he came out of left field as a 5th rd pick.

Samberg and Heinola are our top 2 right now. Vesalainen and Gustafsson are probably the best 2 F's.

But what are you getting at?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Hmmmm ..... how do you embed a tweet?

That one says Connor + Roslovic + 1st for Eichel. Who would do that? Would Sabres accept?

Edit: After a little thought, that isn't near enough.

Edit 2: I see the tweet made it. :laugh: Didn't look right when I posted it.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Samberg and Heinola are our top 2 right now. Vesalainen and Gustafsson are probably the best 2 F's.

But what are you getting at?
Nothing just a thought. After all you said vesalinain isn’t exactly kicking down the door. Yet we often talk bout how well this team has drafted.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nothing just a thought. After all you said vesalinain isn’t exactly kicking down the door. Yet we often talk bout how well this team has drafted.

This team has drafted well but most of the good picks are already in the NHL.

Recently, we traded up to get Logan Stanley, traded down for the Vegas XD and traded away 1st rd picks in 18 & 19. We also acquired a 1st in return for Trouba.

The last Jets drafted player to make it to the NHL was Laine. The only players drafted since to have played a game in the NHL were Gustafsson and Heinola. Neither has stuck yet.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I have not written Ves off yet. The org pretty much tore his game down and is rebuilding it from the ground up much like with Laine.

If he adds another step and more strength before next year he will look a lot better.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have not written Ves off yet. The org pretty much tore his game down and is rebuilding it from the ground up much like with Laine.

If he adds another step and more strength before next year he will look a lot better.

I don't think anyone suggested giving up on Ves. Just that he isn't 'kicking the door in'.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim

Hmmmm ..... how do you embed a tweet?

That one says Connor + Roslovic + 1st for Eichel. Who would do that? Would Sabres accept?

Edit: After a little thought, that isn't near enough.

Edit 2: I see the tweet made it. :laugh: Didn't look right when I posted it.

I think Ehlers and Connor would get it done

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I think Ehlers and Connor would get it done

Not according to Buffalo fans. They expect our top line, our top prospect and our next 2 firsts and we would need to take a cap dump in return . Them and Toronto fans are cut from the same cloth I guess

I would go with Ehlers (or Laine if there is hesitation on him signing), Heinola, Lowry and 20’ 1st, 21’ 2nd.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Laine+1st+Perrault for Eichel. We have a solid set of wingers already hit Scheifele Eichel 1-2 punch down the middle is Crosby-Malkin 2.0

Reactions: hn777

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No, not as far as I know. I'm saying he would only be available if they went for a full rebuild. There has been some Monahan talk/speculation here recently. I'm assuming it started with some unhappy Flames fans. I also assume they were whinging about Monahan, not a rebuild.

They have been spinning their wheels for a couple of years, though they did finish 1st in the Pacific last year. It looks like that was a bit of a mirage. They went out of the PO quickly. They have traded away a lot of draft picks over the last 3 years, acquiring a lot of Dmen. Now 5 of the 9 D on their roster are pending UFA's. Their best remaining D man will be 37 going into next season. Their strength is that D corps that appears to be leaving. They don't have a lot of quality in their system. It isn't a pretty picture. So, who knows, maybe a rebuild makes some sense?

Calgary is an odd Canadian team. It feels like they were always “going for it” in the Iginla era. They had their 3 first round picks in 2013 and they dipped down and had some higher first round picks Tkachuk
#6, Bennet #4, Monaghan #6 but for the most part they have not drafted high they have kind of patched it together the hard way. Not sure what the mood is but their fan base feels beat up a bit right now after an early sweep last year and a bubble season this year.

I think it’s hard when your top guys get rolled like last playoffs. You lose faith. That being said they are pretty even with us so we shall see.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Calgary is an odd Canadian team. It feels like they were always “going for it” in the Iginla era. They had their 3 first round picks in 2013 and they dipped down and had some higher first round picks Tkachuk
#6, Bennet #4, Monaghan #6 but for the most part they have not drafted high they have kind of patched it together the hard way. Not sure what the mood is but their fan base feels beat up a bit right now after an early sweep last year and a bubble season this year.

I think it’s hard when your top guys get rolled like last playoffs. You lose faith. That being said they are pretty even with us so we shall see.

Yeah, we are in a glass house ourselves. I'm optimistic though.

Actually, we may be at a turning point. For Chevy, this is the real test. We are close, but can we take that last big step?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The Sabres are thinner at center than we ate...no way they are trading Eichel. The cost would be too much and his caphit is 10m a year.
I'd love to have him as he is as good as Scheif but it is a pipedream.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Sabres are thinner at center than we ate...no way they are trading Eichel. The cost would be too much and his caphit is 10m a year.
I'd love to have him as he is as good as Scheif but it is a pipedream.

Not to disagree with your point - but he is better than Scheifele. He is now at the age Scheif was when he first took over from Little as 1C. He has already scored > ppg in consecutive seasons. Career, he has scored .95 ppg to Scheif's .85. He has done it in Buffalo. Nothing to diminish Scheifele's accomplishments, but Eichel ranks higher.

While I tend to agree that Sabres won't trade Eichel, I wouldn't rule it out entirely either. He may force a trade if he is unhappy enough. The price would be astronomical though.

Reactions: hn777 and 10Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree 7 years is crazy. And he needs to take a sizeable paycut IMO. I am thinking a 1 year show me deal.

He has only had the 1 bad year and that was on a team where the whole team forgot how to score. Not much fodder for a playmaker. I think 1 year 'show me' is a little extreme. But the fact he doesn't play much C and hasn't for several years is a lot more telling to me. I'm only interested if he is a C, regardless of price.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
How many teams that can afford Eichel's cap space and he'd be willing to go, are there?
The Jets could if they traded Connor or Laine as part of the deal.

But I think it's ridiculous to think that the Sabres would trade Eichel unless they are ready to tear it down and rebuild again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->