Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Myers Perreault Kulikov Mason maybe Buff? I dunno. Buff is interesting.. Believed he has a limited NTC but... Man he'd get us a huge haul... Hes not getting younger either.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I really appreciate those charts above, great work! So it looks like with MP and Myers gone we should be okay this year. Then Mason will be gone and then it looks Kulikov is the guy that needs to be dealt at some point. We should be able to fill in one bottom pair D and a back up goalie much less, then we will be fine no? That and Wheels, Stastny and Tanev will sign for lest then you have listed IMO. I think we can make it work, but guys will need to take home town discounts no doubt.

Even then, we wont be able to do anything past two years as by then Roslovic and Niku will need second contracts and Morrissey will be off his bridge. It will be very difficult to manage the cap well enough to keep him for over 2 years that it continually looks more unlikely the more I look into it.

Also it is all well and good to say just move out x,y and z but we have to be mindful of not weakening a position too much.

On defense we will already be without Toby next season.
If you move out Myers and Kulikov we will be awfully thin and short on experience on the backend.

The three above are all legit 4-5 dmen with nearly 1850 games of experience.

Not only would we be placing tremendous pressure on JoMo, Trouba and Buff to carry the defense we would also be counting on players like Chariot and Morrow to play bigger roles then what they have shown capable of to date.

Niku and Poolman who both have good futures here would be pressured to hit the ground running right off the bat.

That doesn't even account for injuries in which case we would be #### if we ran into significant injuries.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Even then, we wont be able to do anything past two years as by then Roslovic and Niku will need second contracts and Morrissey will be off his bridge. It will be very difficult to manage the cap well enough to keep him for over 2 years that it continually looks more unlikely the more I look into it.

Also it is all well and good to say just move out x,y and z but we have to be mindful of not weakening a position too much.

On defense we will already be without Toby next season.
If you move out Myers and Kulikov we will be awfully thin and short on experience on the backend.

The three above are all legit 4-5 dmen with nearly 1850 games of experience.

Not only would we be placing tremendous pressure on JoMo, Trouba and Buff to carry the defense we would also be counting on players like Chariot and Morrow to play bigger roles then what they have shown capable of to date.

Niku and Poolman who both have good futures here would be pressured to hit the ground running right off the bat.

That doesn't even account for injuries in which case we would be #### if we ran into significant injuries.

Ya.
I was hoping we'd retain Enstrom on the cheap. But there are always cheap bottom pairing Ds to be had around the league and Chevy could find them easily imo. Poolman is no rookie anymore, he's ready to contribute so don't worry about pressure on him, Niku is great but yes still raw.
But I do agree once our next few stars graduate as prospects we are thin on recalls really bad. Gonna have to sign some tweeners that can get recalled and do the job.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets coach couldn't bear to watch Cup final (and other revelations of a hockey lifer)

It is near the bottom of the article where Maurice raves about Roslovic and sees him as a huge part of the team come fall as possibly a center.
From the article:

"He raved about the play of rookie Jack Roslovic in the series against Vegas and projected him being a big part of the team as early as this fall, possibly at centre."

Also, regarding Myers...

"He said he's talked to defenceman Tyler Myers about moving to the left side, which would open the door for Tucker Poolman."

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
From the article:

"He raved about the play of rookie Jack Roslovic in the series against Vegas and projected him being a big part of the team as early as this fall, possibly at centre."

Also, regarding Myers...

"He said he's talked to defenceman Tyler Myers about moving to the left side, which would open the door for Tucker Poolman."

Yeah I think its fairly safe to assume that the defense will look like this next season:

Morrissey Trouba
Myers Buff
Kulikov Poolman

Gives Poolman a good defensive minded vet to break in full time with. It also looks like they plan on keeping Niku on the farm to start.

They likely want to keep the same forward scheme as well which is why they are looking at grooming Roslovic to fill the 2B scoring line C role.

Certainly seems like a team that really isn't looking at moving out the salary needed to keep Stastny. As I mentioned earlier the only way that it is possible long term is to move out Little. I personally don't see that as possible given his contract and his NMC.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
From the article:

Also, regarding Myers...

Yes and yes...:vhappy:

Although Myers - Byfuglien might not be the best in there own zone...

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Yes and yes...:vhappy:

Although Myers - Byfuglien might not be the best in there own zone...
Buff is more than capable in his own zone but Myers with the puck in his own zone scares me.
Niku might stay in the AHL and work on the areas where he is weak. I heard Maurice say something about the way he plays the guy in front of the net..."but he'll learn" he said. This was after the Montreal game I think. I think he is on the team by the all star game if not before. If he gets an injury call-up, he just might make it impossible for management to send him back down.
I'd still like to see de Haan on the team but know it won't happen. I think he will be signed in the 4.2m range.
What about Mason to the Sabres for their 2nd or 3rd rounder next year?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is what I think

I don't think we sign Stastny
I think we go into the season with Schief/Little/Roslo/Lowry as our centers.
I think they see what Roslo does before they decide to do anything at the trade deadline

This is what I think as well. I also think it is the most prudent approach, best see what you have internally before expending more assets to bring in an external option.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This is what I think

I don't think we sign Stastny
I think we go into the season with Schief/Little/Roslo/Lowry as our centers.
I think they see what Roslo does before they decide to do anything at the trade deadline
I agree. I think they still move a player for cap compliance - I am betting on Perreault.

Reactions: surixon

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I think our main competition for Statsny is the salary cap rather than a particular team.

Could be right, in all honesty, I think it would be a mistake for the Jets to sign him given his likely term and tag. The Jets have the team and the depth, you shouldn't sacrifice elsewhere to retain Stastny IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really appreciate those charts above, great work! So it looks like with MP and Myers gone we should be okay this year. Then Mason will be gone and then it looks Kulikov is the guy that needs to be dealt at some point. We should be able to fill in one bottom pair D and a back up goalie much less, then we will be fine no? That and Wheels, Stastny and Tanev will sign for lest then you have listed IMO. I think we can make it work, but guys will need to take home town discounts no doubt.

If your plan is built on home town discounts, you need a new plan. Not to be snarky about it, but players want to be paid. It isn't just money, in the usual sense. It is a kind of keeping score. They want to be recognized and rewarded to the highest level they can get. Some times some players will sign a slightly team friendly contract. Maybe they want security, or term, or stability for their families, or a chance to play on a winner. But big discounts are a fairy tale. IMO.

Mason and Kulikov have to move on when their contracts expire, just like Myers does. We have Morrissey and Connor on bridge deals to make it that far. Their bigger next contracts come up. It doesn't end until we get bad and tear it down for the next rebuild. Play the cards right and that might take 20 years.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah I think its fairly safe to assume that the defense will look like this next season:

Morrissey Trouba
Myers Buff
Kulikov Poolman

Gives Poolman a good defensive minded vet to break in full time with. It also looks like they plan on keeping Niku on the farm to start.

They likely want to keep the same forward scheme as well which is why they are looking at grooming Roslovic to fill the 2B scoring line C role.

Certainly seems like a team that really isn't looking at moving out the salary needed to keep Stastny. As I mentioned earlier the only way that it is possible long term is to move out Little. I personally don't see that as possible given his contract and his NMC.

I like the talk of Roslovic at C. I'm not convinced he can replace Little but we can't find out without trying. If not, he could still be good at 3C. If he is at C it might open a spot for Appleton at RW.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of Myers at 2LD. He struggled defensively against better opposition on the right side. That can only get worse on the left. With him and Buff together who is going to p-lay D? :laugh:

And we still need to move somebody this year. Aaaand we still can't keep Myers after this year.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
If your plan is built on home town discounts, you need a new plan. Not to be snarky about it, but players want to be paid. It isn't just money, in the usual sense. It is a kind of keeping score. They want to be recognized and rewarded to the highest level they can get. Some times some players will sign a slightly team friendly contract. Maybe they want security, or term, or stability for their families, or a chance to play on a winner. But big discounts are a fairy tale. IMO.

Mason and Kulikov have to move on when their contracts expire, just like Myers does. We have Morrissey and Connor on bridge deals to make it that far. Their bigger next contracts come up. It doesn't end until we get bad and tear it down for the next rebuild. Play the cards right and that might take 20 years.
Chevy has managed to get good deals on most and hasn't over paid on many. I could see Wheels taking a tad less to win here as cappy.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I love Stastny but unless he signs a weird short term deal I think that ship has sailed. Cap wise I think we have to put the ball in Jack’s court and see what he can do.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Taking performance bonuses into account, we are projected to be way over the cap without Stastny. Someone has to be traded.

On a related note, Myers' trade value just skyrocketed up. With Carlson having been plan A for some teams, they now have to resort to guys like Faulk and Myers in their attempts of upgrading their D cores.

Reactions: ps241

viiggen

Sep 26, 2009
Luleå
And roumors about Marko Dano? I cant see him stay in Jets, he need icetime.. KHL or some NHL team who needs a middle/bottom 6 guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->