Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
As good as Stastny was, he cost us a likely Little replacement - plus Erik Foley. And he didn't get us a cup.

First of all, there is no way of knowing that. Second of all, the 1st round pick we are traded to supplement the team was an extremely late round picks anyways.

Not saying that Chevy should give up a 1st every year for help, but the Stastny trade made sense, and I would do that trade every day of the week. If we are in a similar position this coming TDL, and a high-end center is available would you trade another 1st for the help? Have to strongly consider it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I hope the Jets don't see the need for a big pick-up at the trade deadline, and can preserve their future picks. Before 2019, they'll also likely need to trade Perreault and likely Kulikov, so they might pick up some extra picks in those types of transactions.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think if this team is as good or better at the trade deadline you make a move that is right for you. We don't know what that is yet though. It could mean a big pick up like Statsny or could be a depth move like Morrow

Reactions: Duke749

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think if this team is as good or better at the trade deadline you make a move that is right for you. We don't know what that is yet though. It could mean a big pick up like Statsny or could be a depth move like Morrow
Agree.

I'm hoping their roster is good enough that they don't need a big acquisition.

Reactions: surixon

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I hope the Jets don't see the need for a big pick-up at the trade deadline, and can preserve their future picks. Before 2019, they'll also likely need to trade Perreault and likely Kulikov, so they might pick up some extra picks in those types of transactions.

Hopefully Little will be healthy and can play C, plus PMO juggles the lines for greater chemistry and there is no need for making a trade for a 2C. Roslovic is also a possible option at C.

MP would return picks, not sure about Kul depends on his health & play.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I hope Chevy doesn't make any more big TD acquisitions.

I would like to preserve out 1st round pick. “If” we are renting Myers and using a year of Trouba’s Remaining two then it feels like we are already investing in this playoff run. That being said I reserve the right to change my position at the TD. Who knows maybe we regress our get crippled with injuries and we are major sellers at the TD?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
First of all, there is no way of knowing that. Second of all, the 1st round pick we are traded to supplement the team was an extremely late round picks anyways.

Not saying that Chevy should give up a 1st every year for help, but the Stastny trade made sense, and I would do that trade every day of the week. If we are in a similar position this coming TDL, and a high-end center is available would you trade another 1st for the help? Have to strongly consider it.

Joe Veleno was still available when our turn came up. He is a likely, not certain, Little replacement.

I reluctantly agreed with the Stastny trade. It was a better C for a better price than I had expected. For those reasons, it is very unlikely to be available again. In hindsight, I wish it had not been done. As usual for TD acquisitions, the cost exceeded the benefit. I consider it a mistake and would not do it again. The short term gain does not equal the long term pain.

Reactions: Bigfish

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would like to preserve out 1st round pick. “If” we are renting Myers and using a year of Trouba’s Remaining two then it feels like we are already investing in this playoff run. That being said I reserve the right to change my position at the TD. Who knows maybe we regress our get crippled with injuries and we are major sellers at the TD?

Selling at the TD is the other side of that value equation. If we are out of contention I would certainly sell. Even if we are in contention, I might consider selling some pieces who are not key to our PO run.

But buying at the TD is a little like those impulse buys while waiting in the checkout line. How many good buying decisions do you make there? :laugh:

Reactions: ps241

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

No, absolutely not. I asked a while back for recent examples where picking up a rental probably made a difference between winning and losing the Cup, and the only one that was mentioned was the Kings picking up Gaborik in 2013-14. And it's worth noting those Kings since then have failed to make the playoffs twice, and been blown out in the first round twice. Short term gain for long term pain?

You also have limited time to incorporate the new player into your team's system. It might work out in time, it might not. If a team has done well enough going into the playoffs that they're considered a serious contender, why risk messing that up by introducing an unknown quantity? Plus, what does it say to the guy getting pushed down? Thanks for getting us this far, but now we want you to spend more time on the bench because we just think you're not good enough? I wonder what Bryan Little is thinking this season now that he's back up to 2C? Will he play a relaxed, confident game or just be looking over his shoulder all year?

Just say no to rentals, IMO. As Mortimer said, keep building for long term success and many opportunities and one of those times you might get lucky.

Reactions: Bigfish

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Selling at the TD is the other side of that value equation. If we are out of contention I would certainly sell. Even if we are in contention, I might consider selling some pieces who are not key to our PO run.

But buying at the TD is a little like those impulse buys while waiting in the checkout line. How many good buying decisions do you make there? :laugh:

When the wife grabs a chocolate bar and puts it down with the groceries, it becomes a good buying decision. :nod:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Without Stats we don't win the NSH series.

A Winnipeg Franchise has never won a second round series - EVER until this year.

he was worth it.

How is getting knocked out in the 3rd round any better than getting knocked out in the 2nd round? Beyond the playoff revenue for the team. I don't feel any better about it, in fact, I probably feel worse that we were bested by a less deserving team. And Rinne is the reason we won, not Stastny.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Without Stats we don't win the NSH series.

A Winnipeg Franchise has never won a second round series - EVER until this year.

he was worth it.

How is getting knocked out in the 3rd round any better than getting knocked out in the 2nd round? Beyond the playoff revenue for the team. I don't feel any better about it, in fact, I probably feel worse that we were bested by a less deserving team. And Rinne is the reason we won, not Stastny.

What he said - plus the possibility that other things change too if Stas isn't there. Very speculative, I admit. But maybe Mau swaps Ehlers and Connor and both 1st and 2nd lines do better that way. Maybe all Little needs is Connor's forecheck and North/South style of game to get him going. Scheif and Ehlers are very creative together. Maybe those combinations get by Nash and VGK too. It is possible.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I think we'd have to add assets just to get rid of those contracts, just like the Mason trade; Kulivov for sure.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maybe Petan blows the doors off early this season? Who knows. I am kind of hoping that when the trade deadline rolls around we don't need to bring in anyone.
Agree. I think we might see really big seasons from Roslovic and Petan.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Because you know Maurice will put both in the best possible positions to succeed? I hope you're right, but my expectations are lower. Roslovic could do OK, but I think both Petan and Dano will be on very short leashes, and it won't take much for Maurice to put either one back in the doghouse.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Because you know Maurice will put both in the best possible positions to succeed? I hope you're right, but my expectations are lower. Roslovic could do OK, but I think both Petan and Dano will be on very short leashes, and it won't take much for Maurice to put either one back in the doghouse.

Well it's not like Maurice has gritty vet fall back options this time around so he won't have much of a choice but to play them.

Reactions: Mathil8

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk

I think/hope so too. I'm also thinking Little has a bounce-back year and people who are writing him off will remember why he was able to adequately play a 1C role for a period of time. He looked quicker at the end of the season to me which makes me think he was battling an injury at some point last year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Because I think both are ready to perform at a very high level with consistency.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Joe Veleno was still available when our turn came up. He is a likely, not certain, Little replacement.

I reluctantly agreed with the Stastny trade. It was a better C for a better price than I had expected. For those reasons, it is very unlikely to be available again. In hindsight, I wish it had not been done. As usual for TD acquisitions, the cost exceeded the benefit. I consider it a mistake and would not do it again. The short term gain does not equal the long term pain.

Likely a little replacement?? Based on what exactly. A 30th pick in the NHL has a 55% chance of not making it to 100 NHL career games. They have a 75% chance of being a career 4th liner or worse. Nobody picked in that area of the draft is LIKELY to be anything near Little.

Reactions: SLAYER and Mathil8

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I really enjoyed winning the NSH series.

Reactions: SLAYER
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad