Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
100% serious. The Jets are going to sign a veteran 4th line type player with some gnarl before the season begins. I am willing bet money on that. They have done so every year these past few years, it's an established pattern. I'd rather that be Stempniak who you know what you are getting with than another Hendricks. Also last season Stempniak was coming back from a rough injury so I wouldn't weigh that in too heavily. I feel he can still put up 25+ points in a 4th line role, kill penalties and move up your lineup in a pinch. That's a useful player to have.

1) I don't see this "established pattern".
2) Stemp is another Hendricks. That is, among other things, a player whose time has passed.
3) The roster is full. Someone has to be moved before anyone else is brought in.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I'd be very surprised if the Jets sign a vet forward. Once Morrissey is signed, their roster is set, with Petan and Dano as 12th and 13th forwards. Signing Stempniak would be a step backward now that Roslovic and Petan are fully ready for NHL roles.

1) I don't see this "established pattern".
2) Stemp is another Hendricks. That is, among other things, a player whose time has passed.
3) The roster is full. Someone has to be moved before anyone else is brought in.

I am fairly certain the Jets are going to sign a glue 4th liner type. They have never gone without one for a season and always made a point to have one on the roster before the season began. Stempniak is likely available at under 800k and his entire salary can be buried in the minors if need be and if one of the younger player falters or if there are injuries, he'd be a good body to have with the big club.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I am fairly certain the Jets are going to sign a glue 4th liner type. They have never gone without one for a season and always made a point to have one on the roster before the season began. Stempniak is likely available at under 800k and his entire salary can be buried in the minors if need be and if one of the younger player falters or if there are injuries, he'd be a good body to have with the big club.
Do you really want to spend the season trying to defend one of your all time favorites if he has fallen hard off the age cliff like he looks to have? With the legend of Lee Stempniak a running theme through multiple threads over multiple years he would quickly become a lightening rod for posters to aim their derision. Best to let him ride into the sunset.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If they bring in Stempniak or any other old vet I'll be very surprised, and annoyed, and will waste some of my time hammering him on these boards throughout the season, as I have with Stuart, Hendricks and Thorbs in the past. The Jets have tons of veteran leadership, and they don't need a player like Stempniak for any reason.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Eklund busy with another Jets/Leafs big rumour on Twitter......at least it won’t happen now

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What if they aimed a bit higher and signed Letestu (aka The Jets Killer)? Would you still be furious, or just somewhat peeved?
Furious.

I'll take the 23 year old Dano over 32 year old Letestu as a bottom-roster replacement, thanks (see below).

Letestu Dano.png

Reactions: Laine Fan

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd like to see Pickard for Comrie. A local yokel on the roster, playing with hometown pride.

Brossoit in Hutch's role, #3, in tandem with Berdin.

Leafs are likely going to have to waive at least one of Pickard, McIlhenny or Sparks. So getting Comrie makes sense for them instead of getting nothing at all. In fact they may need to lose 2 of them as all 3 require waivers. Their other 2 minor league goalies are 1 still decent prospect and 1 ECHL level so they would be a little thin in the system. Comrie should look good to them, IMO.

The trade looks to make sense to me, but would there be other teams willing to pay more? Maybe the time for that is past and anybody interested will just wait for waivers. If that is the case we should jump in there.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Leafs are likely going to have to waive at least one of Pickard, McIlhenny or Sparks. So getting Comrie makes sense for them instead of getting nothing at all. In fact they may need to lose 2 of them as all 3 require waivers. Their other 2 minor league goalies are 1 still decent prospect and 1 ECHL level so they would be a little thin in the system. Comrie should look good to them, IMO.

The trade looks to make sense to me, but would there be other teams willing to pay more? Maybe the time for that is past and anybody interested will just wait for waivers. If that is the case we should jump in there.

Maybe this will be part of Eklund's Trouba-Nylander blockbuster. Do it Chevy! :nod:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Jets are fine on the PK. It won't be hard to improve on Hendricks and Matthias on the PK.

Copp, Lowry, Tanev, Roslovic, Little, and some Wheeler and Scheifele would be more than enough. I'd bet Perreault would also be effective in the PK if needed.

Perreault is made of brittle sticks and stained glass, so the last thing I want to see is him being in a position to block a shot for up to 50 seconds at a time. >_>

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
our forwards on the PK should, in no order, be Lowry Copp Little Scheif Roslo Ehlers Laine (yes, Laine) Tanev.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
our forwards on the PK should, in no order, be Lowry Copp Little Scheif Roslo Ehlers Laine (yes, Laine) Tanev.
Disagree with having top offensive players on the PK. That will limit their ice time at ES and on the PP. Save them for then.

Jets PKers should be Lowry, Tanev, Copp, Roslovic, Little and Perreault. Maurice will use Scheifele and Wheeler on the PK in close / important games to turn momentum or try to get a shorty, but I'd preserve them for extra ES duty instead.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Lots of great players have played the PK.
Scheif is still young and in great shape, he could easily play 20-22 minutes a game.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lots of great players have played the PK.
Scheif is still young and in great shape, he could easily play 20-22 minutes a game.
Sure, but the Jets PK is designed to be a bit of a shooting gallery from the points, and it would be bad if the Jets lost a core player like Scheifele or Wheeler to a broken bone from a shot block. It's an unlikely event, but if you don't need the risk, why do it?

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
I HATE sheif and wheels on the PK. Its gonna end up with a bad outcome soon enough. They should never be on the PK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->