Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Are they better then keeping a decent RHD around for the year after a (hopefully) playoff push. If they need the cap space I'm cool with trading away Myers, but if not at least keep him until the trade deadline and decide if he's worth keeping as a rental if the team is doing well or trading away then if they aren't
Depends on when you get a great offer. Chevy nor I would trade Myers away lightly. I would look to trade him to get cap space, but, preferably when you get the best deal.

Reactions: bumblebeeman

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't think they are getting raises.

They have to be kept up or exposed to waivers. That means you're paying them $600k-$1m instead of a minor-league salary. It all counts to TNSE. I'm sure Lemieux, Appleton and Vesalainen will be the next-in-line guys next year for call-ups. Not having Dano and Petan around doesn't hurt you. Having the picks helps you in the future.

Reactions: adammlis

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Hope I'm wrong. I'd love a first. Doubt I am though, but there's plenty of foolhardy GMs out there.

Just saying a very mediocre/average D returned a first. So not sure why Myers would not be valued the same way. In fact he likely has a bit higher value than Hamonic even though he has less time remaining on his contract. He also earns less than his cap hit now which is quite appealing to some budget teams

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Now that the team is finally doing well and has good depth for the first time ever I don't know why you trade it away for mid-round draft picks?

In the off-season this year, there is little option but to start to trade away some depth.

Up front you have 11 locks to return: Wheeler, Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Little, Lowry, Copp, Armia, Roslovic. You also have Tanev who is likely to be kicking around somewhere at bottom of roster. So right now at least you are looking at...
Laine - Scheifele - Wheeler
Connor - Little - Ehlers
Perreault - Lowry - Roslovic
Tanev - Copp - Armia
That's not counting a potential Stastny return (which would force Little and Lowry down a line, Tanev out of the roster).

Petan and Dano are the odd men out. I'd be flabbergasted if Dano returns for another season after the crap he's gone through this year. He has likely already asked for a trade and will be traded or head back to Europe as a RFA this off-season to wait for a trade or UFA status. Petan is waiver eligible this year, so they could keep him in a "Dano" like role next year or trade him. Players of Petans ilk have gotten 2nd's back in the past (thinking Weal, Vey, etc) so it might be best time to deal with him. You still have Spacek and Appleton down on farm next year for scoring replacements. We know Maurice won't use those type of players in depth roles.

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Just saying a very mediocre/average D returned a first. So not sure why Myers would not be valued the same way. In fact he likely has a bit higher value than Hamonic even though he has less time remaining on his contract. He also earns less than his cap hit now which is quite appealing to some budget teams

I just feel like there was a lot more buzz about Hamonic than there is about Myers. Not that I bought into it. I could be wrong.

I mean, I think people were comparing the Flames top 4 to Nashville's after that trade.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
In the off-season this year, there is little option but to start to trade away some depth.

Up front you have 10 locks to return: Wheeler, Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Little, Lowry, Copp, Armia, Roslovic. You also have Tanev who is likely to be kicking around somewhere at bottom of roster. So right now at least you are looking at...
Connor - Little - Ehlers
Copp - Lowry - Roslovic
Tanev - ??? - Armia
That's not counting a potential Stastny return (which would force Little and Lowry down a line).

Petan and Dano are the odd men out. I'd be flabbergasted if Dano returns for another season after the crap he's gone through this year. He has likely already asked for a trade and will be traded or head back to Europe as a RFA this off-season to wait for a trade or UFA status. Petan is waiver eligible this year, so they could keep him in a "Dano" like role next year or trade him. Players of Petans ilk have gotten 2nd's back in the past (thinking Weal, Vey, etc) so it might be best time to deal with him. You still have Spacek and Appleton down on farm next year for scoring replacements. We know Maurice won't use those type of players in depth roles.

And Holden has forgotten Perreault. I think Petan will join his best friend and his old coach in Vancouver, as they try to cheat the rebuild.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
And Holden has forgotten Perreault. I think Petan will join his best friend and his old coach in Vancouver, as they try to cheat the rebuild.

You know I was putting that post together thinking the whole time, damn I'm sure I forgot someone. Do we need a 3rd line LW? Wait that doesn't make sense. Did I forget someone? Hmmm...

Haha. Thanks. Will edit.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I just feel like there was a lot more buzz about Hamonic than there is about Myers. Not that I bought into it. I could be wrong.

I mean, I think people were comparing the Flames top 4 to Nashville's after that trade.

GM's aren't into Buzz. Scouts aren't into buzz. Not sure how relevant buzz is. It's on ice performance and Hamonic was pretty horrible his last year with NYI

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

Up front you have 11 locks to return: Wheeler, Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Little, Lowry, Copp, Armia, Roslovic. You also have Tanev who is likely to be kicking around somewhere at bottom of roster. So right now at least you are looking at...
Connor - Little - Ehlers
Perreault - Lowry - Roslovic
Tanev - Copp - Armia
That's not counting a potential Stastny return (which would force Little and Lowry down a line, Tanev out of the roster).

Quality post. I guess it comes down to if the Jets feel like Dano/Petan can develop into consistent contributors or want them as pressbox depth guys. There are always going to be injuries and it can't hurt to have cheap young guys like them around. But maybe they'd rather give the opportunities to other players like Lemieux or Appleton.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Quality post. I guess it comes down to if the Jets feel like Dano/Petan can develop into consistent contributors or want them as pressbox depth guys. There are always going to be injuries and it can't hurt to have cheap young guys like them around. But maybe they'd rather give the opportunities to other players like Lemieux or Appleton.

Agree to a point. I don't think it "can't" hurt as unhappy players can create divisions in locker rooms. It can also hurt you league wide reputation, which won't be a big deal might hurt on signing depth players and things like college UFA's. For a guy like Dano he is RFA at the end of the year, I highly highly doubt you'll see him sign any contract that has the name Winnipeg Jets on it. Jets can qualify him, but can't force him to return. As for Petan while he is also RFA he won't have same kind of problems or leverage, IMO. So while he might return, a year of "Dano"ing could hurt his trade value and possibly also his potential. It is possible, but I think if you can get a 2nd for Petan right now (a realistic goal considering the comparables) I think you have to take it. Vesailainen, Spacek, Appleton all have scoring potential that you will have around next year.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think Myers is as highly regarded now as Hamonic was when he was traded. I also am very skeptical of what his medicals look like (not that Hamonic isn't a sicknote).

That's why Myers doesn't get a 1st plus two 2nds, but I think he still gets a 1st.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I think you are putting too much weight on what fans think and say. GM's are a different story. They have their own ways of making decisions, good and bad. I think they are less fickle and less recency biased, to start.

Reactions: JetBlue420

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think you are putting too much weight on what fans think and say. GM's are a different story. They have their own ways of making decisions, good and bad. I think they are less fickle and less recency biased, to start.
Not talking about fans at all. I'll give you that Myers is 2-second rounders worse than Hamonic. Maybe he does garner a 1st. I think he has degenerative hips though. (I have no source to this one.)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not talking about fans at all. I'll give you that Myers is 2-second rounders worse than Hamonic. Maybe he does garner a 1st. I think he has degenerative hips though. (I have no source to this one.)

OK, fans & media. The media is no better than fans, IMO, maybe worse. They have incentives to create buzz.

Not saying that the buzz has no connection to reality. Only that you appear to be giving it too juch weight.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
OK, fans & media. The media is no better than fans, IMO, maybe worse. They have incentives to create buzz.

Not saying that the buzz has no connection to reality. Only that you appear to be giving it too juch weight.

not giving more than 20lbs of weight to fan buzz, I promise. that's not a lot by any measure.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
It's easy:
ducky likes the Coyotes
Ducky10 is a moderator
10Ducky10 wants to trade Myers for Nugent-Hopkins

It's even easier. Ducky10 was harassing ImGoingNucks to change his name yesterday, so he should be into that kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->