Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The Jets would want to have Trouba signed before they could entertain the thought of trading Myers.

Does it really matter? Myers can't play the minutes of a #1 RHD and arguably can't handle #2 RHD minutes either. If Trouba doesn't sign the Jets need to replace him with or without Myers and Myers is only signed through next season too. Trouba isn't UFA until 2020.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Myers is a liability in his own end. He is better than average in the O zone but horrible outside of it. Sure, his skating sometimes helps him backcheck and his reach helps him check a guy but he needs to be shipped out this summer regardless of what we do with Trouba. Trade him beforehand and it shows Trouba that there is just him and an aging Buff competing for minutes.
Poolman is fine with 10-12 minutes a game playing with Enstrom (2.0 x 1.75m). Enstrom could be the backup LHD for his last year if Niku make the team in 2019. Or is Niku ready for the Jets next season?

Reactions: Jetshockey

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Myers is a liability in his own end. He is better than average in the O zone but horrible outside of it. Sure, his skating sometimes helps him backcheck and his reach helps him check a guy but he needs to be shipped out this summer regardless of what we do with Trouba. Trade him beforehand and it shows Trouba that there is just him and an aging Buff competing for minutes.
Poolman is fine with 10-12 minutes a game playing with Enstrom (2.0 x 1.75m). Enstrom could be the backup LHD for his last year if Niku make the team in 2019. Or is Niku ready for the Jets next season?

We won't know until summer training camp and his pre-season results. I think it's totally up to him to grab a spot and run with it.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
a defenseman who is "fine for 10-12 minutes" should absolutely not be part of our top6, because we know what will happen:

2016-17 first 14 games, TOI/GP:
1 Byfuglien 28:34 <-- baaaad
2 Myers 23:26
3 Enstrom 22:05
4 Morrissey 18:17
5 Chiarot 13:52 "fine for 14 minutes"
6 Postma 12:52 "fine for 13 minutes"

2017-18 first 14 games, TOI/GP:
1 Byfuglien 24:16 <-- much better
2 Trouba 22:18
3 Myers 20:12
4 Morrissey 19:13
5 Enstrom 17:03
6 Kulikov 15:51 <--- that's an appropriate amount of TOI for a #6D

As a team, we should be well beyond the sheltered 13min third pairing and the babied 6min fourth line if everybody is healthy. We should have the depth.

If Poolman is "fine" for 10-12 minutes but not more -- alright, let him be our #7/8 D and make sure we have 6-7 guys who are better, he can play when there are injuries.
If Poolman wants to make the healthy roster -- he needs to be able to play 16min+ without looking out of place.

with our current injuries, Byfuglien again averages 26:57 minutes over the last six games. This should be the exception, not the rule.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
But Ducky10 we already know where you stand in terms of your love for the veterans. The only players you have been down on in the board is Tanev who you thought should be replaced by Dano or Petan and your strong dislike for Myers.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
But Ducky10 we already know where you stand in terms of your love for the veterans. The only players you have been down on in the board is Tanev who you thought should be replaced by Dano or Petan and your strong dislike for Myers.
Honestly can't remember that about Tanev but I am not necessarily pro vet. I love what the team has done with all the younger players. I think Roslo should be looked at at center and Armia should be given the opportunity to play with more offensive players. I think Comrie is better than what most posters do and should be given a chance. I also think Wheeler should be moved if his contract isn't a good long term deal. I haven't been a big supporter of Hendo.
If you think I am pro vet because a vet like Buff or Little have a string of poor games and I don't want to trade them or my opinion on them doesn't change (some posters changer their opinion on players almost daily), then I am pro vet.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Honestly can't remember that about Tanev but I am not necessarily pro vet. I love what the team has done with all the younger players. I think Roslo should be looked at at center and Armia should be given the opportunity to play with more offensive players. I think Comrie is better than what most posters do and should be given a chance. I also think Wheeler should be moved if his contract isn't a good long term deal. I haven't been a big supporter of Hendo.
If you think I am pro vet because a vet like Buff or Little have a string of poor games and I don't want to trade them or my opinion on them doesn't change (some posters changer their opinion on players almost daily), then I am pro vet.
Do you have 2 accounts?
That plus you think Buff is a better passer than Morrissey. I also know you definitely dislike Myers.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Yup, don't like Myers' game much. Morrissey is a great passer. Didn't say he wasn't. Buff is an excellent passer and so is Enstrom. Laine, Scheif and MP come to mind quickly off the top of my head....Wheeler too.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Do you have 2 accounts?
That plus you think Buff is a better passer than Morrissey. I also know you definitely dislike Myers.

FYI: There is one guy called "Ducky10" and one guy called "10Ducky10" - I hate it personally because I have no idea who is who TBH :laugh:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Statsny's jets #s have been pretty darn good.
i wonder how much he'll command this offseason.
it's likely more than what Wpg can afford.
small sample size, but 0.67 ppg on st louis and 1 ppg in winnipeg. dude would be smart careerwise to stay here

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
It seems like we might be able to pick up a few draft picks this offseason with some of the excess baggage we have floating around.

Petan, Dano, and Myers could all be on the move, bringing back 2nd - 4th rounders I would think. Myers will be the big question mark. He seems to have a good relationship with the organization, but his play was not good this year outside maybe a dozen games in November. With a year left on the contract, I think he's a gonner.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It seems like we might be able to pick up a few draft picks this offseason with some of the excess baggage we have floating around.

Petan, Dano, and Myers could all be on the move, bringing back 2nd - 4th rounders I would think. Myers will be the big question mark. He seems to have a good relationship with the organization, but his play was not good this year outside maybe a dozen games in November. With a year left on the contract, I think he's a gonner.

If Travis Hamonic returned a first why wouldn't Myers?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Statsny's jets #s have been pretty darn good.
i wonder how much he'll command this offseason.
it's likely more than what Wpg can afford.
small sample size, but 0.67 ppg on st louis and 1 ppg in winnipeg. dude would be smart careerwise to stay here

Problem is that just about any number would be more than Jets can afford.

More and more though he looks like just what we need. There are ways it could be done. I am beginning to lean toward thinking that Chevy should take the steps necessary to be able to make him a real offer. I'd still be wary of giving him too much term and I know it would require moving a player I really don't want to move. But he has been a real difference maker.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

Now that the team is finally doing well and has good depth for the first time ever I don't know why you trade it away for mid-round draft picks?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
FYI: There is one guy called "Ducky10" and one guy called "10Ducky10" - I hate it personally because I have no idea who is who TBH :laugh:
Do they at least have similar takes on things?
I agree one of them should change their name.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Now that the team is finally doing well and has good depth for the first time ever I don't know why you trade it away for mid-round draft picks?
So that they can keep doing well in the future? The draft picks most likely won't have any impact on the immediate future but moving players like Myers frees up cap room to sign someone else. Draft picks and prospects are better than losing the player for nothing.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

I think there is also a just plain Ducky....I recall a thread where all three were active in the same discussion at the same time.....it was hard to follow

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
So that they can keep doing well in the future? The draft picks most likely won't have any impact on the immediate future but moving players like Myers frees up cap room to sign someone else. Draft picks and prospects are better than losing the player for nothing.

Are they better then keeping a decent RHD around for the year after a (hopefully) playoff push. If they need the cap space I'm cool with trading away Myers, but if not at least keep him until the trade deadline and decide if he's worth keeping as a rental if the team is doing well or trading away then if they aren't

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I don't think Myers is as highly regarded now as Hamonic was when he was traded. I also am very skeptical of what his medicals look like (not that Hamonic isn't a sicknote).

Hamonic had a terrible last year with NYI. I don't think your assessment of the two players is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->