Rumour: Ryan Kesler might be Retiring

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's not going to retire with that much money left on his deal. He'll be in a Pronger type situation. He's owed 20 million dollars, you don't walk away from that. A doctor will say he's not in condition to play, and an insurance company will pay 80% of the salary and he'll be on LTIR.

Reactions: Pia8988

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Hip replacement surgery means he's done. It also means his quality of life suffers greatly. At least he made his millions but I wish that on nobody.

His quality of life will be much better once he gets his hip replaced he just won’t be able to play high level hockey anymore. The daily pain should be gone though once his hip is replaced

Reactions: Phu

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
If he needs directions, the doctor now is semi-retired on Robidas Island and spends most of his time at the Zetterberg Beach Resort right on the corner of Horton Street and Clarkson Avenue. It's just a few blocks past Bolland Boulevard, you can't miss it. A new tour guide, a Mr. Luongo, is said to be arriving soon to show him around, and Mr. Gaborik and Mr. Grabovski at the front desk will answer any questions he might have. But he would watch out for that tall guy named Pronger -- he's there to steal luggage and any extra pucks that might be laying around.
Why is Zetterberg on here? He didn't miss a single game in his final 3 seasons despite having a destroyed back.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why is Zetterberg on here? He didn't miss a single game in his final 3 seasons despite having a destroyed back.
Because he isn't officially retired and is on LTIR and receiving his salary.

While he is only owed a million for the next two seasons, They don't want him retiring outright because of the recapture penalties that will hit the wings.

Reactions: iamjs

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
I always liked kesler i have his sweater for a reason.Its the first one i bought with my own money.I remeber we almost lost him to philly and brian burke freaked out cause he got offer sheeted.He did everything you wanted a player to do i thought he was the reincarnation of Linden but with more of a nasty streak.Probably why not alot of people liked him but i did.He could do everything though faceoffs against the best players fight and score goals.Sad to see he can barely function after giving so much to hockey

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
The guy can't get off the toilet or put socks on...

He says putting his socks on are tough, not that he can't do it. And that's what the surgery is for - to correct the problem.

My point was if you don't want anyone to get injured - don't watch a sport where injuries are near universal for those that play physical.

I ski. Like serious backcountry skiing. This often comes with injuries. I understand what he's going through but it comes with the territory, just ask my two wrecked knees.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
One thing that people are missing is that a replacement isn't some permanent solution. It's going to be an issue for the rest of his life and may very well require several additional surgeries for adjustment and further replacement.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
One thing that people are missing is that a replacement isn't some permanent solution. It's going to be an issue for the rest of his life and may very well require several additional surgeries for adjustment and further replacement.
Yeah. You have to ask how much he made it worse by continuing to play these past couple of years?

Maybe he should have just gone in Ltir sooner. But I’m sure he got excellent medical care and was advised of the severity of the injury.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Dear Ryan,
One more year for the Ducks please.
Thornton will be playing next year and he just had knee surgery. You can do it. Be there for the young players coming up through the Ducks system. The team needs you.

Regards,
An RK17 fan

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Because he isn't officially retired and is on LTIR and receiving his salary.

While he is only owed a million for the next two seasons, They don't want him retiring outright because of the recapture penalties that will hit the wings.
Wow, did not realize he wasn't officially retired. Seems like a reasonable LTIR, though.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He won’t retire with that much money left. No bloody way.

But no joke, I thought he would have been done in his early 30s due to his reckless style of hockey, and this was dating back to 2013, and me and a few nucks fan all unanimously agreed he’s done after his contact with the team (Canucks at the time)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Dear Ryan,
One more year for the Ducks please.
Thornton will be playing next year and he just had knee surgery. You can do it. Be there for the young players coming up through the Ducks system. The team needs you.

Regards,
An RK17 fan
I see what you did there!

Buttttt I think kesler retiring/ltir is beneficial for the sharks. If kesler played this season till the end there is a good chace we would have ended up higher in the lottery. If he was our 2/3c next year I imagine wed be lookin at another top 5 pick. Without kesler we are likely fighting for a playoff spot... so our draft pick wont be nearly as good at the same time if we do make the playoffs we should be an easy out for teams like Cal SJ and vegas.

Reactions: Pestilence

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->