Rumour: Ryan Kesler might be Retiring

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
From reading what he has to go through as far as training and rehab (or pre-hab if you want to call it that) to only be a marginal player, it seems like a reasonable decision.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Kesler may need career-ending hip surgery for Ducks

Might need career-ending hip surgery. He's incredibly banged up to the point where normal things are hard to do, best to hang them up. He was very effective for most of his career but this has obviously debilitated him a lot. He looked the ghost of Ryan Kesler out there this year, definitely one of the least effective players at this point.

He's made his money, has three kids that I'm sure he'd like to spend time with without being in agonizing pain, it's probably for the best at this point.

Of course if you can find a way to extract some of that contract money without that's left without playing then go for it but we'll see.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Honestly, people here on this board love using the words retirement and bust so freely. It’s frustrating to see that some people have no understanding of hockey related injuries.

The guy seriously has issues doing day to day stuff. He pushed hard last summer just to make it to 1000 games played. He’s done physically which is all due to him playing hockey so he’s going to get paid. He’ll collect it via ltir. Anaheim should have insured his contract so either they or another team can take the cap hit so long as they are willing to pay out the non insured portion of his contract which is likely 20% if Hossa and Bolland are typical of nhl deals.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
I know Kesler gets a lot of hate, but the guy can't even put on socks without being in immense pain. He's likely going to need a hip replacement and may not be able to walk normally again. Dude is a warrior.

I imagine he will "LTIRetire", which means his $6.875 million cap hit comes off the books for the Ducks. Big help for the Ducks cap situation. Now if only we could get rid of Perry..

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
giphy.gif

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Many of those large contracts were insured for long term injury and the franchise to my understanding in sports contracts that are insured at approx 60% of value. So the Ducks get 12 million of the 20 million to offset that exposure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad