Rumor: Rumour & Proposals Thread | Game of Nygard: We Won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I know Kadri is a hot head, but I would definitely make some calls if he's on the block for cap reasons.
I hate the guy but he’s good at hockey. I would think they would at least ask.

Hell worse case scenario doughty elbows McDavid again and Kadri uses his stick to shave a bit off his melon.

However didn’t Holland straight up tell Sean Avery he is trading him because he didn’t like his character and or integrity?

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006
Leafs can bridge, or trade Zaitsev, or buy out or trade Marleau, trade Nylander. Lots they can do if you think laterally. I don’t think a 2nd rounder will get either before July 1 in particular.

Marleau was over 35 when he signed contract. They’re stuck with the cap hit unless they can trade him. He’s got a NMC. Leafs can’t do anything without his consent. Only options I see are SJ or Toronto.

No one is taking Zaitsev at $4.5M without a huge sweetener.

Dubas has said he’s not trading Nylander.

Dubas will be smart. He’ll have irons in the fire with with other GMs before free agency. He’s got, what, a week to match? Hey Minny, Oilers signed Kappy 4 x $4M. I’ll match and flip him to you for Eriksson Ek & 3rd? I also don’t believe you get him or Johnson for a second pick.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I hate the guy but he’s good at hockey. I would think they would at least ask.

Hell worse case scenario doughty elbows McDavid again and Kadri uses his stick to shave a bit off his melon.

However didn’t Holland straight up tell Sean Avery he is trading him because he didn’t like his character and or integrity?

Kadri isn't anywhere close to Avery level.

He's made some pretty bone headed plays but I don't think there are any concerns among Gms about his character or integrity outside maybe that one time he slept through practice.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Marleau was over 35 when he signed contract. They’re stuck with the cap hit unless they can trade him. He’s got a NMC. Leafs can’t do anything without his consent. Only options I see are SJ or Toronto.

Dubas will be smart. He’ll have irons in the fire with with other GMs before free agency. He’s got, what, a week to match? Hey Minny, Oilers signed Kappy 4 x $4M. I’ll match and flip him to you for Eriksson Ek & 3rd? I also don’t believe you get him or Johnson for a second pick.

Are you able to match offers on restricted free agents and immediately flip them?

If so I agree, I think they'd be moved rather than accept a 2nd.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

He's made some pretty bone headed plays but I don't think there are any concerns among Gms about his character or integrity outside maybe that one time he slept through practice.
Oh I’m not trying to say he is. I’m just pointing out that Holland doesn’t seem to be a fan of bullshit.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Are we talking about the same Dubas here?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Leaf haters wont like this but I think that losing Kadri was a major reason they lost the series against the Bruins.
If they had Kadri they could have just as easily won that series.
If he could prevent himself from going tilt he is a very effective player.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Leafs barely have any signed D-men as it is. Gardiner and Hainsey are UFA's and probably gone. They won't be shipping out Zaitsev to make room for forwards. Marleau has a NMC and he ain't going anywhere. Dubas already told Nylander that he's not getting traded, so for him to ship him out 7-8 months after signing him is gonna be make Dubas look bad. Leafs have 14 mil in cap space, and Marner is probably going to eat up 10 mil by himself. That would leave them with 18 players signed, and still needing to squeeze in Johnsson and Kapanen along with a couple of more D men, and only having 4 m left. Problem with leaving Johnsson and Kapanen til after July 1st is that if they get offersheets and the Leafs match, they can't trade those guys for 1 full year. If a Marner offersheet comes in after that, they will be in a big time bind.

I can't help but feel that Nylander's contract was set up to trade him in the event they got into cap problems. After his bonus is paid out he'll have a 700k salary for a new team to take on this year. It makes more sense to me they trade Nylander anyways. Once he's gone the Leafs will have 15.7mil in cap space and another 5.3 mil in Horton's LTIR. That gives them $21 mil to fill out their roster.

Idiotic to think they're actually considering trading Marner.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I can't help but feel that Nylander's contract was set up to trade him in the event they got into cap problems. After his bonus is paid out he'll have a 700k salary for a new team to take on this year. It makes more sense to me they trade Nylander anyways. Once he's gone the Leafs will have 15.7mil in cap space and another 5.3 mil in Horton's LTIR. That gives them $21 mil to fill out their roster.

Idiotic to think they're actually considering trading Marner.
5.3 for Hortons LTIR?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Someone on Twitter is saying we signed Bogdan Yakimov.

???? Why tho?
As others have said it's likely B.S. only see 2 people on twitter reporting and neither one looks to be reliable.

Yakimov's stats don't indicate that he is worthy of another NHL shot, but I do recall his puck protection skills being quite good, if he further improved that one skill there is an outside shot that he could make it onto the 4th line if you wanted to play a big heavy cycle style on the 4th line akin to the Blues old CPR line, cycle for days & don't get much done offensively, but if your 4th line is hemming the other team in that can usually be chalked up as a win.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Yakimov rumor is based off the Oilers instagram following him the same day they followed Nygard

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
No you can’t trade them for a year IIRC
Correct
NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Can't trade for a year from first refusal.

The week span is there for the team deciding to match or not to actually read all the terms in the contract as they have to accept an entire contract someone else made.

That said, last offer sheet was OReilly in 13. Calgary got him to sign and Colorado matched.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Question - if a player is signed to an Offer Sheet by Team A from Team B, can they still be traded by Team B to Team C for assets under the agreement that Team C is ready to match the offer sheet? Or is it stuck in limbo until either Team B matches or doesn't?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Changing the subject, but is Toronto going to lose any high paid young players in the off-season? I'm not in the mood to ask on the trade forum because I'll just have a bunch of nut jobs telling me that I'm just there to incite insanity, so I'm trusting you guys.

Am I nuts thinking that Marner could be out? I'd honestly take him over Matthews, but I get the feeling that Toronto has a choice of either having a handful of highly paid players and 8 6 AHL players on their roster like the Lightning did after they won their first cup or trade away one of their big pieces for smaller ones and futures so that they can afford to stay competitive.

Make any sense?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Changing the subject, but is Toronto going to lose any high paid young players in the off-season? I'm not in the mood to ask on the trade forum because I'll just have a bunch of nut jobs telling me that I'm just there to incite insanity, so I'm trusting you guys.

Am I nuts thinking that Marner could be out? I'd honestly take him over Matthews, but I get the feeling that Toronto has a choice of either having a handful of highly paid players and 8 6 AHL players on their roster like the Lightning did after they won their first cup or trade away one of their big pieces for smaller ones and futures so that they can afford to stay competitive.

Make any sense?

Yeah the leafs have to make some major moves. I'm excited to see how that show starts in the next 2 months.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
DeBrincat is a 2nd round pick. It takes some skill to develop a 2nd round pick into the type of All-Star caliber forward he's becoming. C'mon what are you even defending here? It's common knowledge the Oilers have serious problems developing players.

Being salty at Chicago for having success in that regard is kind of a weird take to me.

Call me when the Oilers develop a young d-man into a 60-point player tied for 2nd in the NHL for D goal scoring because there hasn't been much of that here for 20+ years.

Letting kids play to their strengths and not locking them down onto the bench or the 3rd/4th line might've been an OK way to go instead of the "try desperately to win a few meaningless extra games to try and save face in front of the media, so we're focusing on Lucic over Puljujarvi" idiot mode the Oilers have been in.
DeBrincat is a second round pick who was as skilled if not more so than some of the guys in the top ten. He was just very small. In essence the only development they did with him was to let him stay in Junior for a year. He pretty much forced himself on the team and has been in their top 6 since the get go because he is one of their best players.

That said I have some sympathy for your position.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
For sure the Leafs are exposed to an offer sheet but I think they match and move Zaitsev in a cap dump. Can go 10% over the cap so they can theoretically go to $91-92M before the puck drops in early October so it gives them more time to deal with the overage from matching an offer sheet. I think it’s more likely they trade one of them before July 1 but for more than a 2nd. Either way they are screwed cap wise so it’s nice to see!
They have Horton though. He makes things a little complicated for them because he eats up over $5M of the $8M or so cushion. They can put him on LTIR in the off season but that has some negative consequences for them in season.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Once you match an OS that player is yours for one year. You cannot trade him to another team.

Question - if a player is signed to an Offer Sheet by Team A from Team B, can they still be traded by Team B to Team C for assets under the agreement that Team C is ready to match the offer sheet? Or is it stuck in limbo until either Team B matches or doesn't?

Stuck in limbo!

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
They have Horton though. He makes things a little complicated for them because he eats up over $5M of the $8M or so cushion. They can put him on LTIR in the off season but that has some negative consequences for them in season.

No Horton's cap hit is counting already. The Leafs will get relief on top of the 8.79mil in cap space they already have.

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

You can’t match and flip.

Have to wait a year to trade

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006
Are you able to match offers on restricted free agents and immediately flip them?

If so I agree, I think they'd be moved rather than accept a 2nd.
I think so. O'reilly signed with Flames, Avs matched, then traded. Maybe enough time elapsed? Maybe you have to wait a year or until the next season? which would make my post incorrect.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad