Rumour- Players Prepared to Give In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/2004/11/players-prepared-to-fold-hand.html#comments

"There will be hockey this year.

The players are now officially prepared to accept a salary cap...they realize that the owners are going to cancel the season and start over next year. A private survey on their own password protected website revealed that 82% would be willing to accept a salary cap, and that 74% would scab it next year. They have lost this battle, and are getting angrier as they miss paychecks.

The NHL office is well aware of this whole scenario as I was told this by one of the few people that still works up there. I was also told this by a reputable sportswriter, who heard it from a player. This is how it will likely go down. At the end of the month, following their next meeting, the players will make a last proposal...Without a salary cap. The two sides will sit down and negotiate. A hard salary cap will be traded for slightly younger FA. The players will say they bent for the "good of the game."

And the season will begin mid January. The players over in Europe have already been informed of this.

"There is ZERO chance that the season will be cancelled," one player rep told to me."

Apparently this author has credentials (listed on the side) and has good sources. Please don't jump on me for this. I just thought I should bring it to people's attention.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I think there's a glitch in the matrix...I just saw the same cat, twice.

Operator, get me an exit! ;)

(I'd love for it to be true, unfortunatley I think the general consensus was that this was highly implausible at best.)

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
wish this was true but it's too good to be true. If I here anything about this "proposol" then I'm gonna be so happy :) :) :) :)

bling

Jun 23, 2004
I wonder how many more times someone is going to dig this up and think it is news....

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I swear I read a bs post like this a week ago. One problem....

Players are still leaving for Europe!

Okay?

If this "password protected website" somehow implies that the Players Association is ready to fold, wouldn't players stay home and prepare for a season? Yes. Are they? Nope.

Enough is enough.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
A private survey on their own password protected website revealed that 82% would be willing to accept a salary cap

If this is true sooner or later, pressure will be placed on Goodenow to get back to the table.

If you have ever been on strike...in the beginning, you're usually united against the tyrants. But once you start missing pay cheques, you start questioning why exactly that is. If you can't come up with solid reasons, you begin to question your union leadership. Anyway, that was my experience. Money talks.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
i wouldn't hold my breath...if there was any credibility to this, then why hasn't anyone else picked up on this?? the article is almost a week old

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
mazmin said:
I swear I read a bs post like this a week ago. One problem....

Okay?

If this "password protected website" somehow implies that the Players Association is ready to fold, wouldn't players stay home and prepare for a season? Yes. Are they? Nope.

And play with a few other NHLers and some scrubs three on three pick up in their teams training facility?

It seems plausible that players are going over to Europe for a month to get their legs. It does, afterall, seem like a second "wave" of players going over.

I doubt there's going to be a season this year, but it certainly does look like the Union is showing subtle signs of cracking.

Oilers Ent

Aug 31, 2002
Burnaby, BC
robandgen.blogspot.com
PecaFan said:
Private articles get leaked all the time. That means nothing.

Not saying this is true, but that doesn't prove anything either way.

Exactly. Everytime I go to the site I make sure to bring some popcorn with me. I'm just hoping at the end of the movie I see a "...this was based on actual events." That would make my day. :)

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
PecaFan said:
Private articles get leaked all the time. That means nothing.

Not saying this is true, but that doesn't prove anything either way.

No one, repeat - No one, can get access to what is said on the NHLPA website other than the players. Which is why this ''rumour'' is bogus unless some player spieled a little info to someone.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
monster_bertuzzi said:
No one, repeat - No one, can get access to what is said on the NHLPA website other than the players. Which is why this ''rumour'' is bogus unless some player spieled a little info to someone.

And people spill the beans all the time. That's the point.

Last night, Vancouver radio was completely full of inside knowledge of who bought a piece of the team, yet by your logic, no one could possibly know yet since the announcement was today. The quickest way to spread something is tell somebody it's a secret. People just absolutely have to blab to someone.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out some player blabbed to his wife, friend etc. We all know there are guys who aren't completely behind the union.

That said, I don't believe the players will give in, until the season is lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->