Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. II - Expansion Draft Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Just one thought. I know that GM is not supposed to consider human factors comes to assemble a team, but sometimes it could indirectly affect how well a team play and stay together.

I sense that the Ebs pick by Seattle made Barzal sad. I think he, Barzal and Beau got along extremely well. Maybe keeping Beau may be a big factor down the road for resigning Barzal as UFA. Not sure who else Barzy is closed to on the current team. Friendship on the team matters and when you lose most of your close friends you may have less incentives to stay, especially if the team cannot match what other teams will offer.

Perhaps that is why Pittsburgh may never considering trading Malkin and Black Hawks also holding off trading Toews because their long time close relationship with the other star players on the same team. I remembered that Tavares was quite upset when Isles traded his close friend Molson to Sabres and then again when his 2nd closest friend was not brought back as UFA. It did improve the team eventually but you never know if these type of decisions may have contributed to JT's decision to not staying with the team when he became UFA.

These guys are professionals and while there's something to building locker room chemistry this is ridiculous.

Matt Moulson getting traded had absolutely nothing to do with Tavares leaving FOUR years later. Penguins and Blackhawks haven't traded Malkin and Toews because they're hall of fame players that you would have been crazy to deal. Even if they weren't living up to their numbers (which they are until toews has had his issue last year) they have big cap hit contracts which are impossible to trade. It's a business.

Just because Barzal made an Instagram post about Eberle leaving we should carry his $5.5mil cap hit for the next 3 years. Right. When the most important thing to do to keep Barzy is to keep improving the roster and pay him a lot. If they had taken any veteran player he'd have posted the same thing.

Reactions: JKP

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
But let’s put that fantastical notion aside for arguments sake and focus on just the players… I’m concerned that Landeskog won’t be the dynamic scorer this team lacks to justify what I expect to be his contact and term.
That's why I think Tank is the better option. The worry with Tank is that he's not the same but the tradefoff is he's only signed through '23. With Landeskog he is more bankable in terms of early production but likely will have a contract that will hinder us 4-5 years down the line. I'd rather gamble on Tank because I still think he would be effective and that flexibility after two years would be huge for long term planning!

Reactions: impaaaaaact

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
It seems as though everyone is expecting Lee to come back at full form from day 1. Am I the only one who sees him as a big question Mark after a year off recovering from ACL surgery?

For some reason Lee has become almost legendary since his injury. Truth is he has been disappointing for a few years and was only signed to his 49 million dollar contract because Tavares's departure left the team over a barrel. He was having a better year this year than the last few, but 6 of his 12 goals were against Buffalo. The team did as well in the playoffs without him.

Reactions: MYIslanders

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Ha. Did I mistype (I did get excited because the temp in PHX dropped from 100 to 75 and in 15 minutes so I spent the last 90 minutes on my porch with whiskey and a cigar and trying to keep laptop out of the rain).

To afford the cap difference between Landy and Tank, you'd have to deal Komarov, for a 5th to 7th pick, or at worst giving a 5th to 7th with him.

To acquire Tank, you'd have to give up a lot more than Komarov and a 5th.

And that's why Landeskog is better asset management.

Agree, I’d pivot unless STL drastically drops their ask or they can launder him through a team to retain salary.

Reactions: Quickdraw2828

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Bring Tank, Suter, and Jackie in...we'll call it an offseason.
Blues fans in a Taransenko thread on the main board, are saying their GM has indicated he will hold onto Taransenko for now ( after trying and failing to find a 3 way trade).

An earlier tweet said 4 teams were willing to take on his full salary,with no retention. I guess those 4 teams are not on his wishlist. Good news for potential Landy bidders because St. Louis has been linked to Landy as a possible landing spot and being unable to move Taransenko keeps their payroll tied up.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
We're all going to be a lot smarter this time next week.

Suppose Wisconsin boy Suter and his MN buddy Parise decide COL is more like home and they sign to go for a Cup there. Tarasenko goes to PHI. Landeskog stays in COL or goes to StL. Then what?

Palmieri can also play LW. So does that bring us back to Garland? And on defense? BTW, our schedule makes me think that the Isles will carry 8 D and rotate in the 2 kids on callups. But we still need at least 1 top 4 LHD. Maybe that crazy OEL/Garland scenario isn't so crazy? :laugh:

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Suppose Wisconsin boy Suter and his MN buddy Parise decide COL is more like home and they sign to go for a Cup there. Tarasenko goes to PHI. Landeskog stays in COL or goes to StL. Then what?

There are actually a fair number of UFA wingers available, so I'm not too worried about NYI's ability to make a deal of some sort. LD is a bigger issue. In that case, the plan has to be to do the best that they can while holding on to/opening up enough cap space to make a deadline acquisition.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Well maybe Jericho or Syosset, who've had actual future NHL players, but not Roslyn.

Ah yes . . . Roslyn . . . the answer to the trivia question "What do the LIRR and Jimmy Carter have in common? They both pull out of Roslyn at 7:00 in the morning . . . "

Reactions: BrockLobster

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
We're all going to be a lot smarter this time next week.

Palmieri can also play LW. So does that bring us back to Garland? And on defense? BTW, our schedule makes me think that the Isles will carry 8 D and rotate in the 2 kids on callups. But we still need at least 1 top 4 LHD. Maybe that crazy OEL/Garland scenario isn't so crazy? :laugh:
Parise is chasing a cup. The knock on Colorado is that they are not gritty enough for playoff hockey.
Losing Landy in free agency doesn't push them closer to winning the SC. Kind of hard to see Parise looking at that situation and choosing the Avs.

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
I think a huge part of this entire equation is allowing this group and whatever new additions brought in a chance to mesh for a full 82 game season (god that felt good to say).

Be it Palmieri, Parise, Suter, Landy or Tank.

That is a point that shouldn’t be lost.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Will be a very interesting week from today leading up to free agency. If Lou makes another big move to free up space (i.e. trade Bailey or trade one of Leo/Clutter & lose Cizikas) then I expect to get one of the big fishes .. getting very hypothetical just for fun,

Right now I think we have enough/close to enough cap to do this:

Lee Barzal. Palmieri
Beau Nelson Bailey
Parise JGP Wahlstrom
Martin CC. CC

Pelech Pulock
Suter Mayfield
Greene Dobson

If we free up another $7M to $8M so to sign Landeskog to a long term $8M isn deal we could potentially do this with the forwards:

Option 1: f we trade Bailey and find another $2-$3M (Leo/Hickey etc)

Lee Barzal Landy
Beau Nelson Palmieri
Parise JGP Wahlstrom
Martin CC CC

4 really good lines. With all due respect to PK, no one likes Bailey as much as me but how could you turn down this forward lineup?

Option 2: Casey not resigned, no Parise, move Leo (or maybe even Clutter since Casey gone?)

Lee Barzal Landy
Beau Nelson Bailey
Palmieri JGP Wahlstrom
Martin Koivula/Zajac. Clutter (MDC/Leo if Clutter gone)

Three really good lines but 4th line diminished and lesser factor. Likely unpopular.

Last edited:

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Elliotte Friedman saying the Isles are "far along" with Kyle Palmieri on a new deal. Whatever that may mean, and we all know Lou's cone of silence, so take it with a grain of salt.

Palmeri back.
Parise replaces Uncle Leo
Tank or Landeskog as Eberle replacement.

Would be very happy with that.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Elliotte Friedman saying the Isles are "far along" with Kyle Palmieri on a new deal. Whatever that may mean, and we all know Lou's cone of silence, so take it with a grain of salt.

idk, I doubt someone says something like this with no reason. The fact that Tarasenko is still on the blues, and Eberle is gone would make it surprising were talks with Palmieri not ongoing. But as we saw with the Lee & Panarin situation, LL can both walk and chew gum.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Agreed. Still need a Leddy replacement though.

Larry Brooks had reported that we were interested in both Parise and Suter. Friedman said on NHL network that he believes this to be true, Suter cutting down his list the most interested teams have been Islanders, Bruins Colorado, Florida, & Dallas.. Would be really nice if we could land Suter at something reasonable.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Larry Brooks had reported that we were interested in both Parise and Suter. Friedman said on NHL network that he believes this to be true, Suter cutting down his list the most interested teams have been Islanders, Bruins Colorado, Florida, & Dallas.. Would be really nice if we could land Suter at something reasonable.

Yup, I've been following. Reaffirming to that poster that we still have an empty LD slot who may have forgotten.

Nicely priced Suter would be a big deal.

Reactions: 19 in a row

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Yup, I've been following. Reaffirming to that poster that we still have an empty LD slot who may have forgotten.

Nicely priced Suter would be a big deal.

along with many others here. (including you I think), I have been saying that I have faith in Lou. My faith has continued to grow with each move he has made.. I would be shocked after all of these other moves if he did not have a plan in place for LD.. going to sit back and continue to enjoy the show.. In Lou we trust.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I want Palmieri back but I’m afraid of what the deal is going to look like. $4milAAV for 4 years would be perfect but he’s a UFA wouldn’t be surprised to see $5-$5.5Mil AAV

Drive 4 Five

Sep 5, 2006
I think we will see something similar to the below on opening night. Maybe swap Suter with another LHD. Hickey probably gets moved if necessary. That is a rock solid team, as good as the back-to-back conference finals teams, which has to be your baseline at this point. Can look to add at the deadline.

upload_2021-7-23_9-48-8.png

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
along with many others here. (including you I think), I have been saying that I have faith in Lou. My faith has continued to grow with each move he has made.. I would be shocked after all of these other moves if he did not have a plan in place for LD.. going to sit back and continue to enjoy the show.. In Lou we trust.

For sure, kinda like how some thought he was asleep at the wheel on Saturday and wasn't going to have 4 eligible defensmen for the expansion requirements?

Up to this point, I have complete faith in Hall of Fame General Manager Lou Lamoriello.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I want Palmieri back but I’m afraid of what the deal is going to look like. $4milAAV for 4 years would be perfect but he’s a UFA wouldn’t be surprised to see $5-$5.5Mil AAV

If it goes that high then we move on to other options. From all the press and the positives that have been said on both camps on Palmieri, I am hoping that he takes a semi team friendly deal to stay. It seems (I hope) what all involved want to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->