Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2020-21 Pt. IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Gotta crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run. Devils are starting to walk. With a closet full of running shoes.

Rangers are jogging already....
lets face it, the rangers are rebuilding well

we can enjoy our team's success while not living with our heads in the sand. They had some good lottery luck, made some smart acquisitions like Zibanejad, Strome, Fox and Panarin...

in the very near future we are going to have to regard them as a legit playoff threat. Part of me is almost excited because the Isles and Rags are long overdue for a playoff series, but I feel like we would be positioned as the favorites, and in such a case, that series has TRAP written all over it. The plucky underdog Rangers could potnetially give the Isles fits. They have a lot of speed and skill.

Thankfully, like I said, our team is damn good. And with Trotz as our ace in the hole, I do think we could beat the young raggies... but I would honestly prefer like, any other matchup in the east save Tampa and perhaps Carolina

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
lets face it, the rangers are rebuilding well

we can enjoy our team's success while not living with our heads in the sand. They had some good lottery luck, made some smart acquisitions like Zibanejad, Strome, Fox and Panarin...

in the very near future we are going to have to regard them as a legit playoff threat. Part of me is almost excited because the Isles and Rags are long overdue for a playoff series, but I feel like we would be positioned as the favorites, and in such a case, that series has TRAP written all over it. The plucky underdog Rangers could potnetially give the Isles fits. They have a lot of speed and skill.

Thankfully, like I said, our team is damn good. And with Trotz as our ace in the hole, I do think we could beat the young raggies... but I would honestly prefer like, any other matchup in the east save Tampa and perhaps Carolina

Yep, lottery luck.

Everybody keep telling themselves that...

Re. Fox and Panarin:
These two guys prostituted themselves to become Rangers. Management barely had to lift a finger.

With the built-in advantages the Rangers have via no less than their location and the importance of their market, clearly making them the NHL's most important franchise, they should never, ever even have to be brought into connection with the word "rebuild". Stop indulging them.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Yep, lottery luck.

Re. Fox and Panarin:
These two guys prostituted themselves to become Rangers. Management barely had to lift a finger.

With the built-in advantages the Rangers have via no less than their location and the importance of their market, clearly making them the NHL's most important franchise, they should never, ever even have to be brought into connection with the word "rebuild". Stop indulging them.
I agree they had advantages and luck, but they definitely qualify for the "rebuild" title IMO. They gutted their previous team a few years ago for picks, drafted some youngins, and made some trades / signings for other young players

maybe a re-tool?

I just calls em like I sees em

Reactions: JoeM

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Yep, lottery luck.

Re. Fox and Panarin:

What's the need to jump down his throat? The Rangers are putting together a good team and have a lot of pieces already. Who cares about how it happened? So they didn't have to 'rebuild' in the traditional sense because of who they are, but they still are going to be a threat which is the main point of his post.

It's impossible to constructively talk about the Rangers, Leafs, or Tavares on here. It's such a joke. We're adults here, no?

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
What's the need to jump down his throat? The Rangers are putting together a good team and have a lot of pieces already. Who cares about how it happened? So they didn't have to 'rebuild' in the traditional sense because of who they are, but they still are going to be a threat which is the main point of his post.

It's impossible to constructively talk about the Rangers, Leafs, or Tavares on here. It's such a joke. We're adults here, no?

UnlawfulHeartyChanticleer-size_restricted.gif

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
For you, closer than you think=next year.

For me and others, closer than you think=within a few years.

I think the Devils could be a playoff team next year and contending for a cup within 5 years.

Well let's see what they do this offseason because if they don't add some significant pieces they're not going to be better than they were this year.

As for being a cup contender in 5 years...That's a long time. You could start a total rebuild and if things lined up well be a Cup contender in 5 years. So for a team that seems like they haven't hit bottom yet, despite having 2 of the #1 overall picks in the last 4 years I'm jus not impressed.

That said we'll see how Fitzgerald does as GM as I don't think Shero did a good job and most of the roster has his fingerprints on it.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Yep, lottery luck.

Re. Fox and Panarin:

It's not just one thing - It's a bunch of things and the "lottery luck" certainly is a factor in the rangers rebuild. I mean are you telling me that if they drafted like #8 and #12 instead of getting Kakko and Lafreniere they'd be better off? Come on.

When Wayne Gretzky wants to finish his career with you "just because" you are a destination franchise. Add in the deepest pockets in the league and it's a recipe where you are always going to be out ahead.

That said they "went for it" for like 3-5 years with Lundqvist in net (as they should have) and then found themselves older and without a prospect base. They could've duct-taped a competitive roster together for a few more years, but by rebuilding the way they have they have set themselves up for success for years to come if they play it right.

And it's annoying as f***.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Yep, lottery luck.

Re. Fox and Panarin:

Wait a second, I thought the taxes were a deterrent to playing in NY and everyone wanted to play in those tax advantaged states? (Hilarious how that is an UFA storyline but zero peeps at the trade deadline when a gets traded).

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

First and foremost, we're Islander fans around here.

Giving the Rangers credit for things they shouldn't be getting credit for is a slap in our faces.

That Bettman's team is on the way to being possibly real good (again) is completely irrelevant.

Plenty of other places around these boards to sing their praises without backlash in the form of perspective...

Reactions: Skip To My Lou

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I agree they had advantages and luck, but they definitely qualify for the "rebuild" title IMO. They gutted their previous team a few years ago for picks, drafted some youngins, and made some trades / signings for other young players

maybe a re-tool?

I just calls em like I sees em

No need to use the word luck.

The NHL NEEDS the Rag$ and NYC to be a successful market. It's bad business for them not to be a competitive team. The league will do its part, quietly, in the background, to help steer that ship in that direction. Unofficially, of course.

We can be very thankful, in fact, that there has been some pure failure on behalf of various managerial figures at times over the past 20 years.

But you're definitely right about re-tooling. That's a very fair and proper assessment.

After all, how many teams publically come out with a letter to their fans begging for patience and declaring a "rebuild" just to then go about trading for an 8-million-a-year Dman and then signing the premiere free agent on the market for 11+ MM in less than 15 months.

That's no friggin' rebuild.

And the Rag$ will ALWAYS have the type of advantage seen in the Fox situation. This kid iron-armed his way through two organizations to go to the team HE wanted to play for. Everyone knew he was good. Now he's their best Dman.

That ain't the first time that kind of thing has happened for them... And I'm not even referring to their UFA market advantages.

That's not a situation most other teams get to experience or enjoy.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Re. Fox and Panarin:

I honestly don't get why some players want to play for the Rangers. Not to knock NYC, but it wouldn't be my first choice of places I would want to live(and that ignoring the cost of living, once you factor in cost of living that would take it down a few more notches). Of the original 6 teams if somebody goes on the basis of that, I would rate them the 6th most successful out of 6 from a historic standpoint. I don't believe playing for the Rangers makes much difference to your advertising potential(infact I would argue you are probably better off playing in Canada if that is what motivates you, especially Toronto). Yet it seems like many players for some reason want to go there.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

ADVERB
constructively (adverb)
  1. in a way that has or is intended to have a useful or beneficial purpose.
    "the party has engaged constructively in this debate"
  2. law
    in a way that is not obvious or explicitly stated but may be inferred.
    "this non-disclosure was said to be constructively tantamount to fraud"
LOTS of room to thread the needle on either side . . .

And don't call me an adult! I identify myself as mature/adolescent . . .

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
It's not just one thing - It's a bunch of things and the "lottery luck" certainly is a factor in the rangers rebuild. I mean are you telling me that if they drafted like #8 and #12 instead of getting Kakko and Lafreniere they'd be better off? Come on.

When Wayne Gretzky wants to finish his career with you "just because" you are a destination franchise. Add in the deepest pockets in the league and it's a recipe where you are always going to be out ahead.

That said they "went for it" for like 3-5 years with Lundqvist in net (as they should have) and then found themselves older and without a prospect base. They could've duct-taped a competitive roster together for a few more years, but by rebuilding the way they have they have set themselves up for success for years to come if they play it right.

And it's annoying as f***.

Hmmm . . . the Dolans or MLSE? I go with the evil organization north of the border.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I honestly don't get why some players want to play for the Rangers. Not to knock NYC, but it wouldn't be my first choice of places I would want to live(and that ignoring the cost of living, once you factor in cost of living that would take it down a few more notches). Of the original 6 teams if somebody goes on the basis of that, I would rate them the 6th most successful out of 6 from a historic standpoint. I don't believe playing for the Rangers makes much difference to your advertising potential(infact I would argue you are probably better off playing in Canada if that is what motivates you, especially Toronto). Yet it seems like many players for some reason want to go there.
In the case of those two players, Fox grew up a Rangers fan, and his family already lives here. Panarin, like many Russians players, was likely attracted to the big Russian community in NY.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
In the case of those two players, Fox grew up a Rangers fan, and his family already lives here. Panarin, like many Russians players, was likely attracted to the big Russian community in NY.

And then there's Trouba, who didn't he want to come to the US for his fiancée's medical career? NYC does offer opportunities for family members, they can buy a place in Westchester, all that.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

But there is other players beyond those 2 that seem to for whatever reason say they want to be traded to the Rangers with no ties there. In the case of Fox, to be honest if I am a player making less then 1M dollars I much rather go to a place with a cheaper cost of living, family or not(I know 1M sounds like it's a lot but take away the taxes, agent fees etc it adds up, then you factor in the cost of living which is probably an extra 15k-20k a year).

On a side note about Fox, the next CBA needs to make a provision that as long as you offer a player a certain level of contract you retain their rights till they turn 27.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I wouldn't want to live there either if given the choice, but a lot of people are attracting to the city and the opportunities you have because of it. Being in the city is much different when you're a professional athlete and have wealth than it would be for most of us. They get to go to any restaurant or event they want to, whenever they want to. I'm sure it's a blast at night if you're a young guy. It's all superficial though and not something I'd be interested in doing on a regular basis. I'd be going somewhere like Arizona or Colorado.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to live there either if given the choice, but a lot of people are attracting to the city and the opportunities you have because of it. Being in the city is much different when you're a professional athlete and have wealth than it would be for most of us. They get to go to any restaurant or event they want to, whenever they want to. I'm sure it's a blast at night if you're a young guy. It's all superficial though and not something I'd be interested in doing on a regular basis. I'd be going somewhere like Arizona or Colorado.

For me it would be a case I would want a certain level of privacy where I live(so no apartments or condos) but at the same time I would like to be within 30 minutes of driving to work(the closer the more attractive). Now I only been to NYC once so maybe I don't know how the city is laid out as a whole but I just don't see how Madison Square Gardens can afford me that opportunity

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
For me it would be a case I would want a certain level of privacy where I live(so no apartments or condos) but at the same time I would like to be within 30 minutes of driving to work(the closer the more attractive). Now I only been to NYC once so maybe I don't know how the city is laid out as a whole but I just don't see how Madison Square Gardens can afford me that opportunity

I think the players split, some live in the city itself and others live by the practice facility in the Westchester area. Living near the practice facility would give more of what you'd be looking for but I'm not super familiar with that area.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Way back when, didn't the NYR practice in Long Beach and therefore a lot of their players lived in that area?

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
But there is other players beyond those 2 that seem to for whatever reason say they want to be traded to the Rangers with no ties there. In the case of Fox, to be honest if I am a player making less then 1M dollars I much rather go to a place with a cheaper cost of living, family or not(I know 1M sounds like it's a lot but take away the taxes, agent fees etc it adds up, then you factor in the cost of living which is probably an extra 15k-20k a year).

On a side note about Fox, the next CBA needs to make a provision that as long as you offer a player a certain level of contract you retain their rights till they turn 27.
Almost any 23 year old growing up in NY would be thrilled to live in NYC on a million dollar salary, on the way to a multimillion salary. Cost of living doesn't matter much to them. Remember, in Fox's case, he was already well off (at least his family is), and he knows he will earn a ton of money over his lifetime with his Harvard degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad