Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2020-21 Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
This was my post on October 8th in an older thread, where I caught some flak from a couple of the, let's be nice and say passionate, fans:

"It would be funny (and of course great for the Isles), if Lou is sitting on the current $9 million in cap space, the medicals to send at least Ladd ($5.5 million) plus maybe Boychuk ($6 million) to LTIR for a large part of next season, with the plan of sending Hickey to the AHL again ($1 million saved).

So Lou has $21.5 million in free cap, when free agency opens, and verbal contract agreements with Barzal and Pulock, which you wait to announce until after you add the player(s) you want. Then you just let the Leddy vs. Toews situation sort itself out, by shopping both and take the best overall trade for the team."

BOOM!

The timing didn't line up with the start of NHL free agency, because I assume Covid and the messed up situation delayed doctor's appointments, second and third opinions, NHL (exit) physicals (prob still pending for Ladd and closer to training camp), etc.

But Lou has gotten the job done largely inline with the least amount of pain for the Isles near term and long term, at least so far.

I still believe that if Lou wants to force Ladd to LTIR, it will be relatively easy to fail him based on his injuries, a NHL physical and any competent doctor.

I am interested to see what is next. So far, so good.

Reactions: SI and Olliemets

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Athanasiou is basically Grabner without the defensive/pk ability. I like his skating, but other than that he is basically a shooter version of Ho-Sang. I have a hard time seeing him fitting into our system, so I'd take a hard pass on him and if we need that type I would prefer just calling up Ho-Sang.

Speaking of Grabner, I would not be opposed to signing him. Waive MDC (or put him in Knuckles role as strictly a 13th/14th warm body) and put Grabner there, veteran PKer who I feel would mesh really well with JGP. I'd like to see a faster 3rd line.

Plus we can use a PKer, especially with Cizikas health a question mark.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This was my post on October 8th in an older thread, where I caught some flak from a couple of the, let's be nice and say passionate, fans:

"It would be funny (and of course great for the Isles), if Lou is sitting on the current $9 million in cap space, the medicals to send at least Ladd ($5.5 million) plus maybe Boychuk ($6 million) to LTIR for a large part of next season, with the plan of sending Hickey to the AHL again ($1 million saved).

So Lou has $21.5 million in free cap, when free agency opens, and verbal contract agreements with Barzal and Pulock, which you wait to announce until after you add the player(s) you want. Then you just let the Leddy vs. Toews situation sort itself out, by shopping both and take the best overall trade for the team."

BOOM!

The timing didn't line up with the start of NHL free agency, because I assume Covid and the messed up situation delayed doctor's appointments, second and third opinions, NHL (exit) physicals (prob still pending for Ladd and closer to training camp), etc.

But Lou has gotten the job done largely inline with the least amount of pain for the Isles near term and long term, at least so far.

I still believe that if Lou wants to force Ladd to LTIR, it will be relatively easy to fail him based on his injuries, a NHL physical and any competent doctor.

I am interested to see what is next. So far, so good.
If Ladd's contract disappears also, can one imagine how this team can be set up contract wise. Beauvillier and Pelech will need contracts after this upcoming season. Sorokin will most likely command more if he has a good season. It never ends juggling the cap.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Athanasiou is basically Grabner without the defensive/pk ability. I like his skating, but other than that he is basically a shooter version of Ho-Sang. I have a hard time seeing him fitting into our system, so I'd take a hard pass on him and if we need that type I would prefer just calling up Ho-Sang.

You can teach defense, and thankfully we have Trotz. I would be more than happy to take a flyer on one of Athanasiou, Duclair, Hoffman, or Granlund any of which would likely be an upgrade on Brassard.

replayer

Aug 3, 2005
You can teach defense, and thankfully we have Trotz. I would be more than happy to take a flyer on one of Athanasiou, Duclair, Hoffman, or Granlund any of which would likely be an upgrade on Brassard.

With today's news, they can sign Barzal without concern, and if they put Ladd on LTIR (or use those 2nd rounders to shed someone else), and add Hoffman on a one year deal. Helps the PP, gives us a lot more offensive depth. We'll see what Lou does.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
While it is true that defense can be taught to a point, there is a certain amount of on ice awareness and hockey smarts that are necessary, but more importantly, there absolutely has to be a willingness to buy in. And even assuming Athanisiou has all of that (which from what I have seen of his play and heard about him, he doesn't) there is also the question of whether he can produce while buying into a system. Athanisiou mostly produces from his high risk personal offense only style, and I don't think he'd produce well in Trotz' system. And I'm pretty sure Trotz and Lou agree with my points here, otherwise we'd have seen a lot more of Ho-Sang.

Hoffman I would love to add, and Granlund I think would be worth rolling the dice on if he's willing to sign a cheap enough contract. Duclair I'm iffy on - wouldn't mind it if we added him at 1m or lower, but also would have no problem if we didn't.

Reactions: 19 in a row

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
If Ladd's contract disappears also, can one imagine how this team can be set up contract wise. Beauvillier and Pelech will need contracts after this upcoming season. Sorokin will most likely command more if he has a good season. It never ends juggling the cap.

I really can't see how Ladd can pass a physical, if Lou opts to hold his feet to the fire and force a resolution this season, as opposed to just sending him down again.

Ladd is just making too much money in a flat-cap world and, with a buyout-proof contract, he guaranteed his money but also limited the ability of the Isles to buy him out and allow him to continue his career elsewhere.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the Isles and Hickey see how his health holds up this season (since he could provide depth) but, if he suffers any significant setbacks, they might need to re-evaluate if he will continue beyond that.

The expansion draft will be another wild card with respect to the Isles long-term salary cap. If the Isles opt to leave a forward exposed, one with offensive ability but a significant contract, there is probably a good chance Seattle will pounce.

There should be a lot of solid defensemen in the expansion draft, but maybe not so many quality forwards this time around.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Hard to gauge what Hoffman will cost in this market. Typically id say 6ish a year, but i would not be surprised to see him take a 1 year contract for 3-4 million.

Hoffman in a way is exactly what we need. I have a hard time believing Trotz will love him given the (lack of) defensive side to his game, but bottom line is I don't want to get locked in to too many long-term deals right now. Just not the time for 5-6+/year for someone like Hoffman.

If by some miracle we can get him on a 1 year deal I'm all for that.

Reactions: WangMustGo

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Pulock-Pelech
Leddy-Mayfield
Greene-Dobson
Aho

Most likely.

I can see the Isles starting with that mix, to take some pressure off of Dobson initially, but once Dobson is comfortable, and maybe I will be wrong, but I think pairing Leddy-Dobson and Greene-Mayfield makes more sense.

In a very limited sample size last season, Leddy-Dobson played well together. And I can see Greene's experience and calm demeanor helping Mayfield a lot. Maybe pairing them together will help with some of the bad clearing passes and unnecessary icings that we have seen from Mayfield.

One other important thing to consider is that assuming the NHL regular season will be shortened, that probably helps with the mental drain (for young players like Dobson, Aho, Hutton, etc.) and physical toll (on older vets like Greene).

Reactions: buud

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Well we have no choice now.

It's serviceable, but not great.

It's more than serviceable.
No Choice?

Lou can sign a cheap vet D for depth and have Aho go Bport... If depth or Aho is the issue. IMO, I think Lou for sure adds another d man on the cheap. I have no problem with the starting 6 - it's a balanced group - you don't have a top pairing that plays 25 minutes a game or even a top 4 that eats up most of the minutes. The 6 if they can stay healthy will spread the minutes around with Pulock and Pelech getting 20+ minutes a game - Leddy, Mayfield around 18, and Dobson and Greene slotting in just under that depending on special teams.

Reactions: danteipp

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Hoffman in a way is exactly what we need. I have a hard time believing Trotz will love him given the (lack of) defensive side to his game, but bottom line is I don't want to get locked in to too many long-term deals right now. Just not the time for 5-6+/year for someone like Hoffman.

If by some miracle we can get him on a 1 year deal I'm all for that.

I feel it coming...

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

Won't disagree about his limitations. He can play some center but as stated, in his current form, a liability defensively and that doesn't go here. Not sure if Koivula can cut it at the NHL level but would like to see a little more depth down the middle. Maybe there's an AHL move to be made.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Not to sound too cold-hearted at this point, but those with salary cap rules knowledge . . . is there a benefit to us trading Boychuck to Tampa for a pick?

I'm assuming that insurance pays the contract for the most part, assuming some sort of deductable, and that the team he is signed with doesn't matter.

Tampa gets the relief and it is net zero to us? Or is there something in the rules that means we would have to retain something like the deductable?

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I am pretty sure it has been all but confirmed that all three of Greene, Martin and Schneider have verbal agreements to sign. Brassard was someone they were interested in bringing back, but the JB news may allow us to think a little bigger.

I find the odds rather low that both Ladd and Hickey will be able to survive also not being put on the LTIR and the odds are rather high that whoever isn't- is in fact buried.

A)Worse case is both are buried and we have around 12 million in cap space.

B)Another would be Hickey traded or put on LTIR while Ladd is buried and we have 13.5 million

C)Even better would be Ladd on LTIR and Hickey buried, giving us 16.5 million

D)And ideally will be both on it or Hickey traded (Ladd would cost a 1st rounder minimum, so it isn't happening), giving us almost 18 million

Depending on how all of that goes will determine where we go in shaping our lineup and what we pay Barzal and whom, if any; other free-agent is brought in.

Komarov could also be dealt, but this late in the process I find that less likely; even though he could be easier to move than Hickey....

Personally, I think it winds up being "C"...

Odds are better than good that Barzal gets his 6-7 million on a bridge deal and that all 3 of Andy, Matt and Cory are inked for around 3 million...

Minimum that would leave us with 3 million and it could be as much as 9 million.....

Reactions: danteipp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad