Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 - "Ross the Boss" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
If we make a trade this year, it will be at the deadline because we will know what we have by then

So Leddy, Greiss, Ho-sang and one OR two D prospects and a pick is what we have to play with. What can we get for that? If we take a dump in return...we could land a very good winger or 2c.
Sorry guys, I still don't like Nelson.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I get the... strong desire to add a skilled winger, but I'm not feeling it. I would love to add the right player to play with Barzy, but I don't think it's just as easy as putting the two together, and 'voila!', we have success.

We seem to agree that a LW is the open spot, but if I were GM, I would not be looking for someone to just compliment Barzal, I would be looking for someone who fits the team needs. Makes sense that we have a better selection at trade deadline, so if we can stay competitive until then, that would be ideal.

I really do think we have a better chance than we did last year, if only because we have set strong foundation. Incoming players are going to be hearing lots of good things, and believing it, because our players are living testimony. It's pretty good here....

Now, to some of you, these last 4 words... I know you're going to stare at them, blink a few random, intermittent times, and start laughing. Expected. A change of culture, a strong and deep change, takes time. And I think this year, as we slowly but steadily, put together another strong showing, players are going to take notice. Players that want to play for a contender.

Last edited:

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Teams with the 5th best record in hockey arent bubble teams...
Does a ball player going 4 for 4 in game one of the season will this translate to him batting 1:000 after 300 more at bats ? Last year was an abnormality and anyone remotely understanding hockey like the experts doesn’t see this repeating with this lineup.
To help this team really become a contender, Lou needs to find a way to remove some of the overpaid 3rd and 4th liners to give him
More wiggle room to shape this roster to be seriously looked at. I think Lee’s 7 mil will be another dog of a contract but time will tell

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Does a ball player going 4 for 4 in game one of the season will this translate to him batting 1:000 after 300 more at bats ? Last year was an abnormality and anyone remotely understanding hockey like the experts doesn’t see this repeating with this lineup.
To help this team really become a contender, Lou needs to find a way to remove some of the overpaid 3rd and 4th liners to give him
More wiggle room to shape this roster to be seriously looked at. I think Lee’s 7 mil will be another dog of a contract but time will tell

I obviously dont think lou should stand pat. The team still needs help. Despite all that they arent a bubble team. At worst 3rd best team in division.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

All those same experts picked us to fail last year. There's one constant... the coaching. Devils and Rangers picked up a ton of skilled players and suck balls. And they all complain about coaching.

All Trotz has done with this team is win. And we have started exactly as we did last year. We all want a winger, but how about we wait and see before we pencil us in as a lottery team?

You have zero evidence that we overachieved last year until we suck this year.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
All those same experts picked us to fail last year. There's one constant... the coaching. Devils and Rangers picked up a ton of skilled players and suck balls. And they all complain about coaching.

All Trotz has done with this team is win. And we have started exactly as we did last year. We all want a winger, but how about we wait and see before we pencil us in as a lottery team?

You have zero evidence that we overachieved last year until we suck this year.
We overachieved because Dom Luczynynyn and his idiotic spreadsheets said so!

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
We overachieved because Dom Luczynynyn and his idiotic spreadsheets said so!

At first his models frustrated me. I was like “who is this guy?” But it’s cool to see models but it’s clear his model doesn’t address the Islanders well. He tries to communicate that but doesn’t do a great job. There will always be things that don’t fit models well but if the majority of the other teams are well addressed by the model I see why he sticks with it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
At first his models frustrated me. I was like “who is this guy?” But it’s cool to see models but it’s clear his model doesn’t address the Islanders well. He tries to communicate that but doesn’t do a great job. There will always be things that don’t fit models well but if the majority of the other teams are well addressed by the model I see why he sticks with it.

He changes his model after each year so the lack of consistency with his model makes it pretty much meaningless until he leaves it for an extended period of time before making tweaks.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
We seem to agree that a LW is the open spot, but if I were GM, I would not be looking for someone to just compliment Barzal, I would be looking for someone who fits the team needs..

I'm pretty sure that both of things are the same. We have LWs that can slot easily into the 2nd and 3rd lines. But while Lee is somewhat adequate with Barzal, I think that slot can be upgraded and Lee shifted down to 2nd or 3rd line duties.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
I'm pretty sure that both of things are the same. We have LWs that can slot easily into the 2nd and 3rd lines. But while Lee is somewhat adequate with Barzal, I think that slot can be upgraded and Lee shifted down to 2nd or 3rd line duties.
This needs to happen. Lee holds barzal back to be honest. Lee is terrific in front of the net and battling, he also gives a 110% effort on back checking and I applaud him for that, but his skills are not that of a top line winger. He doesnt have the speed hands or possession skills to help drive the forecheck with barzal. The other night was a prime example of him not being able to complete a 5ft tape to tape pass in the neutral zone to drive a 3 on 2 with Barzal. At some point this year, assuming lou kicks tires all year, I hope we see
Wahlstrom-Barzal-Eberle
Lee-Nelson-Bailey
Beau-Brassard-Leo
Clutter-Cizikas-Johnston/Martin

The offense still doesn't scream top 15, but it will be better than what we are throwing out now.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
This needs to happen. Lee holds barzal back to be honest. Lee is terrific in front of the net and battling, he also gives a 110% effort on back checking and I applaud him for that, but his skills are not that of a top line winger. He doesnt have the speed hands or possession skills to help drive the forecheck with barzal. The other night was a prime example of him not being able to complete a 5ft tape to tape pass in the neutral zone to drive a 3 on 2 with Barzal. At some point this year, assuming lou kicks tires all year, I hope we see
Wahlstrom-Barzal-Eberle
Lee-Nelson-Bailey
Beau-Brassard-Leo
Clutter-Cizikas-Johnston/Martin

The offense still doesn't scream top 15, but it will be better than what we are throwing out now.

I'm not quite sure that Wahlstrom deserves top line minutes just yet, but I think that's what we'll be looking at in the (near) future.

Reactions: MJF

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Petan might be available from Toronto. Won’t cost much and I’d give him as insurance over Brassard if Brassard doesn’t start playing better.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Petan might be available from Toronto. Won’t cost much and I’d give him as insurance over Brassard if Brassard doesn’t start playing better.

I wonder about Boyle...if nothing else he is really good in the dot, good on the PK and could be a good front presence on the PP. Just waive Brassard and when he clears he goes down and helps BP

Reactions: SI, dood and SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I wonder about Boyle...if nothing else he is really good in the dot, good on the PK and could be a good front presence on the PP. Just waive Brassard and when he clears he goes down and helps BP

I love Boyle but he hasn’t had training camp so it might take him awhile to get going. Petan is a center and would at least maybe give us some offense.

Reactions: BTrotts19

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I Turris available? He's expensive but I like his game. Heard he was on the 4th line, but he played over 18 minutes tonight.

Granlund might fit well. UFA next year, and doesn't seem to be fitting in great there.

Josi getting a big raise next yr... making room?

Hmmmm....

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I Turris available? He's expensive but I like his game. Heard he was on the 4th line, but he played over 18 minutes tonight.

Granlund might fit well. UFA next year, and doesn't seem to be fitting in great there.

Josi getting a big raise next yr... making room?

Hmmmm....
Turris is 30 years old and has 4 years remaining after this season at 6 mil per. The only way we’re making a deal for him is if they take back Ladd, or retain 50%. I can’t see them doing either

Reactions: YearlyLottery

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Turris is 30 years old and has 4 years remaining after this season at 6 mil per. The only way we’re making a deal for him is if they take back Ladd, or retain 50%. I can’t see them doing either
Yup, that's expensive. But if they are desperate, they might eat some of it/take Hickey, or something...

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I'm thinking the 4th line is going to get a facelift within the next 1-3 years. Now that players like Bardreau and a few others are showing they are younger and can handle themselves with similar or better ceilings than the current roster. Leddy + Zeeker + can bring a VERY good player. I think we'll just bury Martin and Clutter in the minors until their contracts are done.

New 4th line

Boss - Bardreau - Fritz

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm thinking the 4th line is going to get a facelift within the next 1-3 years. Now that players like Bardreau and a few others are showing they are younger and can handle themselves with similar or better ceilings than the current roster. Leddy + Zeeker + can bring a VERY good player. I think we'll just bury Martin and Clutter in the minors until their contracts are done.

New 4th line

Boss - Bardreau - Fritz
Despite his sweet dish in pond hockey last night, you are over-valuing Leddy.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

New 4th line

Boss - Bardreau - Fritz

Martin is done at the end of this year. I don't see him being brought back unless it's a super cheap and short deal as an extra forward. Trotz is going to work on creating a new identity without that line this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad