Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19 - Part IX - Trade Deadline Edition

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Instant,

Why in the world do you think it's not possible to...

1. Come here and discuss all aspects of the Isles.
  2. Enjoy Islander games 100% when they're on.

When you go the beach you bring a towel and when you come to these boards we're supposed to discuss our opinions, both positive and negative, about our favorite team. That's what I do.

Now my opinions might annoy you, or it might be annoying that I keep hammering them home (and I only do that because there are some people still out there like, "I don't understand...Tavares told us he would stay." :'-( ), and that I understand. But make no mistake...When the Isles score a big goal I dance around my house and the only thing that holds me back is not risking waking my kid and drawing the ire of my wife.

So to recap...
  • Multiple things can co-exist at the same time.
  • I love me some Islanders (especially the 18-19 version).
  • Coming here to post helps me vent when the team frustrates me.
  • I'm never going to stop posting about things that are so obvious to me (like wang/snow/capuano needing to be removed before we could start winning...Or me knowing that Tavares should've been traded the moment he didn't resign in July 2017...etc).

Of course it's possible, where did I say I think it's not? But at some point we all need to let some things go. Yeah, Tavares wasn't traded. And there's nothing, nothing we can do about it now. Not only that, constantly bringing this up is pointless. Snow didn't pull the trigger on the trade, Tavares signed with a different team. We all know that happened, kinda hard to forget it now. And yeah, you were right about trading him last year.

That said, we also can't do anything about Lee and this situation. TDL has passed, we didn't trade him, so I just don't understand how constantly reminding everyone of that fact helps. I'm all for constructive discussion and considering different options - but as far as our UFAs go, that's it, we're ending the year with them and posting all the time about how we should've traded them and that no one will re-sign is: a) not constructive, b) not an invitation to a discussion of any sort.

We didn't trade any of them. Accept that and move on.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
With no real options available on RW in the ufa market, i wonder if Lou can trade for one.
As crazy as it might sound, maybe Marner or Nylander could be viable options...

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
With no real options available on RW in the ufa market, i wonder if Lou can trade for one.
As crazy as it might sound, maybe Marner or Nylander could be viable options...

Isles were in the mix for Hoffman at this season's TDL. There was a report the Panthers were asking for Sorokin +1st. Guessing the isles( wisely), were unwilling to move Sorokin. Hoffman is not worth a potential franchise goalie imo.

If Fl really is gonna make a run at Bob & Panarin,I expect Hoffman will be moved by the draft.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Isles were in the mix for Hoffman at this season's TDL. There was a report the Panthers were asking for Sorokin +1st. Guessing the isles( wisely), were unwilling to move Sorokin. Hoffman is not worth a potential franchise goalie imo.

If Fl really is gonna make a run at Bob & Panarin,I expect Hoffman will be moved by the draft.
Hoffman is a LW, Isles need someone to replace Eberle...

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Hoffman is a LW, Isles need someone to replace Eberle...

Might be throwing shit at the wall but it may seem like Brett Connolly is starting to figure it out:

66 gp
16 goals
19 assists
35 points

He's going to put up 20 goals and 45-50 points. May be one of those guys that takes another big step forward next year.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Might be throwing **** at the wall but it may seem like Brett Connolly is starting to figure it out:

66 gp
16 goals
19 assists
35 points

He's going to put up 20 goals and 45-50 points. May be one of those guys that takes another big step forward next year.
I don't mind Connolly, but not in the top 6. I honestly think Toronto is the best option. They are going to have cap issues this summer and they got 3 legit RWs in Marner, Nylander, and Kapanen...

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I don't mind Connolly, but not in the top 6. I honestly think Toronto is the best option. They are going to have cap issues this summer and they got 3 legit RWs in Marner, Nylander, and Kapanen...

Agreed. I wouldn't mind pulling one of them out of their safe space up there. To me Connolly makes sense since he was a Trotz guy.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He's an absolute monster at what he does and I love his game. Meat and potatoes, 100% effort.
To me that is a skill set that is not being given it's proper due and we don't have anybody else able to play the game the way Lee does. That makes what he brings to our table unique.

Yes, I think we should pay for Anders Lee. 7 years at market rate for a guy who is a 30-40 goal scorer.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
To me that is a skill set that is not being given it's proper due and we don't have anybody else able to play the game the way Lee does. That makes what he brings to our table unique.

Yes, I think we should pay for Anders Lee. 7 years at market rate for a guy who is a 30-40 goal scorer.

Not to mention if Lee was coming here to play as a UFA we would be ecstatic would picking up a 30-40 goal scorer.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Not to mention if Lee was coming here to play as a UFA we would be ecstatic would picking up a 30-40 goal scorer.
Besides that, Lee's game isn't based on speed. He's proven to be fairly durable. He doesn't have Ladd's or deHaan's injury history. I don't see much of a tailing off in Lee's game after year 3, where he would be 32-33 years old.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

It makes me incredibly nervous. Ultimately, I like Lee and we won't know if any deal like that would be worth it until the back end of the contract. I just hope if they give him a lengthy deal for a lot of money that they front load it and don't offer him a lot of protection. He can have a full NMC in the early years, but on the back end that type of stuff needs to go away.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm starting to wonder if Lou's plan is to essentially play chicken with our UFAs. Pretty sure he played it with Hickey last year.

Essentially, if contract demands are too high, allow Lee/Nelson/Eberle/Lehner to test the open market knowing we'll take them back on our terms (say 5 years for Lee instead of 8). This isn't Tavares where teams line up to hand 7 years, $11+ M, these are guys who still have the "lol Islanders roster sucks" stink on them, and apart from Lehner (and I guess Nelson too) aren't really having career years:

Nelson 43 points in 65 games
Lee 42 points in 65 games
Eberle 30 points in 61 games

So if Lee wants to insist on 7 or 8 years and point to Stone as a comparable, let him test the market. With UFAs hitting the market and RFAs now demanding top dollar instead of the "bridge deal", committing cap space to Anders means absorbing the risk of him becoming a Ladd/Lucic/Okposo type of anchor in a few years.

The downside, obviously, is if they find a better offer they like - poof they're gone and all that's left is a picture of Anders Lee in Minnesota Wild pajamas. But I'd hate to be a sports agent trying to convince GMs these guys are worth way more than Lou is willing to pay.

Reactions: nyisles1992

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times, they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
When you go the beach you bring a towel and when you come to these boards we're supposed to discuss our opinions, both positive and negative, about our favorite team. That's what I do.

Exactly! Right! And, if there's opinions you don't like, just block those posters. LALALALA.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I'm starting to wonder if Lou's plan is to essentially play chicken with our UFAs. Pretty sure he played it with Hickey last year.

Essentially, if contract demands are too high, allow Lee/Nelson/Eberle/Lehner to test the open market knowing we'll take them back on our terms (say 5 years for Lee instead of 8). This isn't Tavares where teams line up to hand 7 years, $11+ M, these are guys who still have the "lol Islanders roster sucks" stink on them, and apart from Lehner (and I guess Nelson too) aren't really having career years:

Nelson 43 points in 65 games
Lee 42 points in 65 games
Eberle 30 points in 61 games

So if Lee wants to insist on 7 or 8 years and point to Stone as a comparable, let him test the market. With UFAs hitting the market and RFAs now demanding top dollar instead of the "bridge deal", committing cap space to Anders means absorbing the risk of him becoming a Ladd/Lucic/Okposo type of anchor in a few years.

The downside, obviously, is if they find a better offer they like - poof they're gone and all that's left is a picture of Anders Lee in Minnesota Wild pajamas. But I'd hate to be a sports agent trying to convince GMs these guys are worth way more than Lou is willing to pay.
I’m pretty curious about who would step up to make offers for Lee and Nelson. Lee gets a little pop outside of these parts but they’re both kinda under the radar, and it helps that there are actual marquee players who will be available. But seriously, what kind of team offers Lee seven years? I can see bad teams with space doing it but any contenders?

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Chicago may like him as he did go to school around that area. That team also do not have that many big wingers so I can see them being one of the teams be interested in him but not sure if he will take less money to go there.

Hope he resigns with Isles though. He is quite a good character and yes Isles can use his physical strength and his willingness to take punishment in front of the crease. Plus he is a proven goal scorer.

He is from Minny but I do not see him as a guy who will only want to go back to his home town to play out his career. I think he is more open to that.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
He is from Minny but I do not see him as a guy who will only want to go back to his home town to play out his career. I think he is more open to that.

At least his wife lives on LI and not in Minnesota. Just sayin'.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I’m pretty curious about who would step up to make offers for Lee and Nelson. Lee gets a little pop outside of these parts but they’re both kinda under the radar, and it helps that there are actual marquee players who will be available. But seriously, what kind of team offers Lee seven years? I can see bad teams with space doing it but any contenders?
I think Lee is a bit different in that there are some other intangibles to his game, leadership and locker room stuff. Nelson could see similar deal to what Hayes gets. I’d imagine Nelson will get 4-5 a year for five years at least. I’d let him walk and see if you can get someone via upgrade, I’d really only sign lee if I was making decisions. Eberle could be back he hasn’t had a good year so I don’t know if he gets anywhere near what his contract is. Perhaps he stays on a one year or two year deal here depending on what the dollars are which wouldn’t be so bad.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Prompted by the injuries, but it's good to see regardless. Last season we "didn't need Hosang" because "we didn't need extra scoring". Well I think it's about time to try and boost scoring. Rotating Johnston and Kuhnhackl in and out of the lineup isn't ever gonna accomplish anything.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Prediction: JHS plays well and sticks. He's a PPG player the rest of the way and into the playoffs. His offensive injection transforms the team and they become a force and win the Cup. After Lee skates around with the Cup, he hands it off next to JHS. Someone on this board says, "I told you so".

I realize this is highly speculative and I may be off base with parts of it, but I am 100% certain of the last sentence.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Prediction: JHS plays well and sticks. He's a PPG player the rest of the way and into the playoffs. His offensive injection transforms the team and they become a force and win the Cup. After Lee skates around with the Cup, he hands it off next to JHS. Someone on this board says, "I told you so".

I realize this is highly speculative and I may be off base with parts of it, but I am 100% certain of the last sentence.
From your keyboard to gods ears

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
FWIW, what are we since we did nothing at the TDL; 1-3?

Just asking since CBJ are 1-3 since the TDL.

Not getting at anything beyond irony. :)

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad