Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/General Discussion XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
G

-Wideman to the Canucks for Hamhuis

Wideman has negative value, in that he would not get claimed if put on waivers. His continuing contract and dismal play make him undesirable to pick up this year. He likely has value come next year's trade deadline.

Hamhuis does not have a continuing contract, and is considered a reliable d-man. He'll command at least a 2nd round pick come deadline day, perhaps a 1st.

And why would the Canucks trade a better d-man on an expiring contract for a lesser d on a continuing contract?

Wideman for Miller likely makes some sense for both teams.

Both teams take on 1-year of an undesirable contract, but both teams spend that undesirable contract on a better need for them.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Johnny is far from "humble" based on what I hear. he wants to be paid.

That is one hell of an assertion. As far as getting paid goes what your version of getting paid and Johnny's version likely are very different things.

I doubt that Kessell's failures plays into Johnny's mind come contract negotiations.

Bad contracts in general have GM's league wide paying very close attention on the dollar amounts spent.

If he decides he wants an 8 year contract, I doubt that the Flames want to insult him by refusing to negotiate more than a bridge deal.

Considering just a few day ago Trevling and Burke both confirmed their belief in bridge contracts it affirms it allows me to believe my assertions are right. To a point Burke brought up Penner again. If Johnny does indeed want that crazy money Trevling won't do it until Johnny has provided more of a track record.

What will Flames management do come July 1st, if Johnny says he won't sign a bridge contract, instead will wait to see if an offer sheet comes in?

Will they wait until someone actually offers him $8M over 7 years and then either match it or take the draft picks?

What will the Flames fan base do if the Flames let him walk via an offer sheet?

Whether is is smart to sign Gaudreau to a 8 year, $7.5M contract may not be particularly relevant if that is what he wants. The Flames likely have little choice, unless they are in fact prepared to let him leave.

As a Flames fan in the the modern NHL with a salary cap there is always that possibility. 2 first round picks and a second and a third though is very very punitive and with the parity there is in the NHL it is very doubtful any GM or ownership group would approve the offer sheet. Loss of 4 picks (2 first rounders and a second and a third) in 2 years makes it very difficult to remain competitive.

Last edited:

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Why is the 'humble' trope still getting traction on this board? It does not matter what a player's personality is. If he's a PPG player on a bad team as a 22-year-old, you can bet everything you own that his agent will be getting him the big bucks. And there's nothing wrong with that. Would you deliberately ask for less money than you know you deserve out of humility at your job? I didn't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad