Rumor: Rumors & Proposals XI | Friedman: "Nothing Imminent, But Likely Petry Dealt Next"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Hey guys,

Petry is a solid NHL calibre Dman..Edmonton doesnt have a lot of quality Dmen..why would he be traded??

I dont get this organization..back when they traded away Smid..i was thinking (he's thier only good Dman at that time... a lot of oiler fans were saying he was a legit top4 guy)

why trade away the things you are in short supply of

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Hansen is a better player than Yakupov at this stage of their careers.
Lack is better than Fasth and younger
1st is obviously better than a 3rd.

1st round picks seem to carry more value these days then they did 3 or 4 years ago.

Hansen is a very good 3rd line grinder who is fast can hit and score 15 goals... he would help the oilers..

I dont think that the Canucks GM would let go of their 1st (just 2 days ago Bennign said "we are not trading our 1st" ) and Hansen and Lack for Yakupov... but who knows..i'm just some guy on a forum haha

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
In his brief stints with RNH, Yak has done well in the past. However putting him there long enough to get back on track means making one of the golden boys unhappy so I don't think it's allowed.

Also just my personal guess based on the rumours around the Yakupov selection is that management would rather see him fail. That's the only way I can reconcile his handling so far. To show Katz he needs to stay out of the hockey decisions.

And we wouldn't want our golden boy "future captain" unhappy. Otherwise he will just take shots at Yak through the media. I'm seriously starting to grow a hate on for Hall...I didn't think this was possible since he was one of my favorite oilers.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Hey guys,

Petry is a solid NHL calibre Dman..Edmonton doesnt have a lot of quality Dmen..why would he be traded??

I dont get this organization..back when they traded away Smid..i was thinking (he's thier only good Dman at that time... a lot of oiler fans were saying he was a legit top4 guy)

We should keep him but that point is fairly irrelevant. What's relevant is what Petry wants because he's an upcoming UFA.

When he signed a 1 yr deal you have to ask yourself if Petry wants to say. If the answer is no then you have to trade him regardless on whether he is a useful player going forward or not. If the answer is yes then my suspicion is that he would have signed longer than 1 yr in the offseason.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I've been a big supporter of bringing Richards into Edmonton. He plays the style of game that we need on our team and has a ton of heart.
I would think that Pitt's 1st rounder being part of the deal would certainly help. Something around Petry + Pitt's 1st and maybe a prospect should get it done.

The bigger issues are Richards would most likely never waive to come to Edmonton and LA would be pretty wary of trading him within the division for picks and prospects..

The last thing the Pacific division teams want to do is throw Edmonton a life line to get them out of the basement... LA is most likely targeting teams in the East like Toronto and Winnipeg (as Freidman reported)

That is way to much for Richards given what he would bring to the Oilers. He is no where near the player he was even a few years ago. Would you give that much up for Gordon, because considering the contract I'd just as soon have Gordon. In effect you are giving up Perron + for Richards and his $5.75M cap hit.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
We should keep him but that point is fairly irrelevant. What's relevant is what Petry wants because he's an upcoming UFA.

When he signed a 1 yr deal you have to ask yourself if Petry wants to say. If the answer is no then you have to trade him regardless on whether he is a useful player going forward. If the answer is yes then my suspicion is that he would have signed longer than 1 yr in the offseason.

excuse my ignorance..i didnt know he was an upcoming UFA

Damn, that sucks... Oil might lose a solid Dman...

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If he can be a legit veteran that brings it on the ice and in the room like Gordon then he is worth the money.

The problem Richards has had of late is that he does not "bring it" nearly as much as he did in the past. That's why he is basically the Kings 4th line center, and is playing behind Stoll. The team had Horcoff at $5.5M. Was that worth it? Because right now I'd be surprised that Richards would be as effective as Horcoff was when he was traded.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
I really don't understand dealing Petry, why not just keep him around as a 3-4? He's a decent fit there IMO, I mean he's not the greatest defenceman but I truly don't understand why we're dealing away on one of our weakest positions. Unless Petry explicitly wants out.

Can they (management) complain about him wanting more money? Maybe they shouldn't piss it away on terrible ****ing players and we wouldn't be in this position.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I really don't understand dealing Petry, why not just keep him around as a 3-4? He's a decent fit there IMO, I mean he's not the greatest defenceman but I truly don't understand why we're dealing away on one of our weakest positions. Unless Petry explicitly wants out.

Can they (management) complain about him wanting more money? Maybe they shouldn't piss it away on terrible ****ing players and we wouldn't be in this position.
Petry doesn't stick up for anyone, you can tell he wants out. That's why people want to trade him, better get something then let him walk

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

see post #953.

:)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Trade Ference for Richards.

They get their Willie Mitchell replacement. We get our nothing replacement.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
If he can be a legit veteran that brings it on the ice and in the room like Gordon then he is worth the money.

Worth the money is debatable but in this case irrelevant. If he is worth the CAP to a team like the oilers is the issue and based on what I've heard of him is a tough call. We really need a strong center though and big IF he can fill that role for the next two years then it'd be great.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009

Maybe you should sit this one out champ

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Hopefully the Oilers buy out Nikitin and move Purcell. This would free up cash for some UFA's!

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Petry doesn't stick up for anyone, you can tell he wants out. That's why people want to trade him, better get something then let him walk

Fair enough, unfortunately the team has played so poorly that each player is terribly devalued at this point. We'll really not get much for him if he's traded.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Fair enough, unfortunately the team has played so poorly that each player is terribly devalued at this point. We'll really not get much for him if he's traded.
Better something then nothing.
Petry had a bit of value cause he had looked decent on an awful team

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Hey guys,

^it's part of some grand plan....#becauseoilers

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I've been a big supporter of bringing Richards into Edmonton. He plays the style of game that we need on our team and has a ton of heart.
I would think that Pitt's 1st rounder being part of the deal would certainly help. Something around Petry + Pitt's 1st and maybe a prospect should get it done.

The bigger issues are Richards would most likely never waive to come to Edmonton and LA would be pretty wary of trading him within the division for picks and prospects..

The last thing the Pacific division teams want to do is throw Edmonton a life line to get them out of the basement... LA is most likely targeting teams in the East like Toronto and Winnipeg (as Freidman reported)

Anyone that gives up a 1st for Richards needs to be fired and banned from hockey arenas. He's barely a 3rd liner. Yes that's on a deep team but at close to 6mil for how many more years he's simply not a guy you give assets for.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He played pretty well there. Youre nitpicking. He's gonna be a better nhl player than either Shinkaruk or Floormat. He reminds me of a young Mark Messier.

If that's nitpicking then I guess people complaining about Jordan Eberle's toedrags and blind drop passes is considered nitpicking as well?

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
And we wouldn't want our golden boy "future captain" unhappy. Otherwise he will just take shots at Yak through the media. I'm seriously starting to grow a hate on for Hall...I didn't think this was possible since he was one of my favorite oilers.

It's all part of the oilers cycle.... New shiny draft pick is selected, we put all of our hopes into him after a great wold junior or memorial cup performance, he has a great rookie or couple years, development completely derailed due to being on the most poorly managed team in nhl history, we sour on him and say he's not performing like he should, the cancer in the room, addition through subtraction, then dump him rather than the trainers, staff, scouts, and people in charge of development who keep doing this and then put our hopes in the next shiny draft pick who will undoubtedly not life up to expectations.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It's all part of the oilers cycle.... New shiny draft pick is selected, we put all of our hopes into him after a great wold junior or memorial cup performance, he has a great rookie or couple years, development completely derailed due to being on the most poorly managed team in nhl history, we sour on him and say he's not performing like he should, the cancer in the room, addition through subtraction, then dump him rather than the trainers, staff, scouts, and people in charge of development who keep doing this and then put our hopes in the next shiny draft pick who will undoubtedly not life up to expectations.

Trainers?

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Nah you're right Yakupov should be a 70 pt player this year playing 3rd line minutes with guys like Lander and Arcobello centering him. His most dangerous weapon is his shot and nobody has the ability to get him the puck for any type of shot in the offensive zone. What has Eberle or Hall really done when they haven't played with RNH? barely anything.

Considering Gordon and Hendricks has scored more goals than Yakupov, is it really a problem with who he's playing with?

Also, Yakupov has played most of the season with the wonderkid Draisatl, not Lander. Yakupov has gotten waaay more offensive zone faceoffs and powerplay minutes and less responsibility than Gordon and Hendricks, and yet the two of them are outscoring Yakupov.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Considering Gordon and Hendricks has scored more goals than Yakupov, is it really a problem with who he's playing with?

Also, Yakupov has played most of the season with the wonderkid Draisatl, not Lander. Yakupov has gotten waaay more offensive zone faceoffs and powerplay minutes and less responsibility than Gordon and Hendricks, and yet the two of them are outscoring Yakupov.

and somehow playing with Drai made the situation more favourable for Yakupov? You bringing that up just furthers my point. He's got 9 points playing with either less than favourable offensive players (Lander/Arcobello) or a rookie who shouldn't even have been the NHL? so Yakupov is suppose to magically make those players into more than they are not playing 14 minutes a game? I'd love to know how that is possible when we look at the topline and they are all standing pat at 25 points in 40ish games. All three of them have eachother to work off of and they are having terrible seasons in comparison to the talent that is in each of them.

Brian28

May 22, 2008
Trainers?

You don't typically turn from a high caliber prospect with an excellent junior resume to a string pile of poo on your own. That kind of regression requires seriously bad trainers who try to change the player outright rather than developing them and working on bad habits.

Example of Yakupov. From great rookie season under Krueger and his system to practically worthless under Eakins. Krueger wanted to develop Yak; play to his strengths which is scoring and work on the defensive responsibility in time. Eakins demanded a natural scorer become a two way player immediately to earn time. Yak could have been something special with his work ethic...now he needs a lot of work to get his confidence, skills, and playing style back on part with where it started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad