Rumor: Rumors & Proposals XI | Friedman: "Nothing Imminent, But Likely Petry Dealt Next"

Status
Not open for further replies.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
we add----- r u A canuck fan? horvat has proven jack **** at the nhl level

Horvat 9th ovr pick
52% in the dot + he's a center
25gp 2g 5a 7pts -3 17 shots
1st year in NHL

Yak 1st ovr pick
41 gp 4g 5a 9 pts -20 79 shots
3rd year in NHL
Has declined every season but did put up 0.65pts/game in the short season in his rookie year.

I would say there are question marks on each player of course but considering yak is supposed to have a shot yet he is only is shooting 5%

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Did you watch the juniors?

Virtanen stinks.

We need to be patient with Yakupov. Flipping him for depth players and magic beans would compound the frustration of the franchise.

I wouldn't make that deal, but explain how Virtanen stinks? He played his role perfectly on that team

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Did you watch the juniors?

Virtanen stinks.

We need to be patient with Yakupov. Flipping him for depth players and magic beans would compound the frustration of the franchise.

He was very good at the world juniors. Great speed especially for someone over 200 lbs, very good hands and he wasn't afraid to mix it up and throw good hits. He also wasn't afraid to cause s**t after the whistle if an opposing player got in his face.

But you probably judge him by points :)

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Horvat 9th ovr pick
52% in the dot + he's a center
25gp 2g 5a 7pts -3 17 shots
1st year in NHL

Yak 1st ovr pick
41 gp 4g 5a 9 pts -20 79 shots
3rd year in NHL
Has declined every season but did put up 0.65pts/game in the short season in his rookie year.

I would say there are question marks on each player of course but considering yak is supposed to have a shot yet he is only is shooting 5%

Some think McDavid may help Yakupov tear it up. It's logical, meaning top 6 minutes :dunno:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Some think McDavid may help Yakupov tear it up. It's logical, meaning top 6 minutes :dunno:

If yak is a trash can and needs mcdavid in order to accomplish anything that constitutes allowing him to even touch nhl ice...than thats sums up his value and lack of talent.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
He was very good at the world juniors. Great speed especially for someone over 200 lbs, very good hands and he wasn't afraid to mix it up and throw good hits. He also wasn't afraid to cause s**t after the whistle if an opposing player got in his face.

thank you, kid has a very bright future imo

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
If yak is a trash can and needs mcdavid in order to accomplish anything that constitutes allowing him to even touch nhl ice...than thats sums up his value and lack of talent.

Nah you're right Yakupov should be a 70 pt player this year playing 3rd line minutes with guys like Lander and Arcobello centering him. His most dangerous weapon is his shot and nobody has the ability to get him the puck for any type of shot in the offensive zone. What has Eberle or Hall really done when they haven't played with RNH? barely anything.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
Nah you're right Yakupov should be a 70 pt player this year playing 3rd line minutes with guys like Lander and Arcobello centering him. His most dangerous weapon is his shot and nobody has the ability to get him the puck for any type of shot in the offensive zone. What has Eberle or Hall really done when they haven't played with RNH? barely anything.

In his brief stints with RNH, Yak has done well in the past. However putting him there long enough to get back on track means making one of the golden boys unhappy so I don't think it's allowed.

Also just my personal guess based on the rumours around the Yakupov selection is that management would rather see him fail. That's the only way I can reconcile his handling so far. To show Katz he needs to stay out of the hockey decisions.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
In his brief stints with RNH, Yak has done well in the past. However putting him there long enough to get back on track means making one of the golden boys unhappy so I don't think it's allowed.

Also just my personal guess based on the rumours around the Yakupov selection is that management would rather see him fail. That's the only way I can reconcile his handling so far. To show Katz he needs to stay out of the hockey decisions.

Katz needs to show them the ****ing door.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

No, I judge him by how he plays. No matter what line he was on, he was the death of offense. The only thing I can commend him for are his zone entries, which are attributed to his impressive speed, as you've noted.

He was put on lines that controlled the puck on the cycle and numerous times it was Virtanen's (sometimes blind, overly fancy) pass that was fired into his linemates' feet which resulted in a scramble or turnover.

Was he a cog in the lineup? Sure.

But I think a contributing factor of him being on that team is the fact that he was a right shot in a whole slew of left handers. There was some serious talent left at home that I think could've contributed equally if not moreso.

We didn't need a mouthpiece to win that tournament. That Team Canada roster was dominant with or without Jake Virtanen IMO.

And if the game he played in Toronto is the game he carries into the NHL, I foresee a player that is on a fast track into his coach's doghouse.

Oct 15, 2008
No, I judge him by how he plays. No matter what line he was on, he was the death of offense. The only thing I can commend him for are his zone entries, which are attributed to his impressive speed, as you've noted.

He was put on lines that controlled the puck on the cycle and numerous times it was Virtanen's (sometimes blind, overly fancy) pass that was fired into his linemates' feet which resulted in a scramble or turnover.

Was he a cog in the lineup? Sure.

But I think a contributing factor of him being on that team is the fact that he was a right shot in a whole slew of left handers. There was some serious talent left at home that I think could've contributed equally if not moreso.

We didn't need a mouthpiece to win that tournament. That Team Canada roster was dominant with or without Jake Virtanen IMO.

And if the game he played in Toronto is the game he carries into the NHL, I foresee a player that is on a fast track into his coach's doghouse.

He played pretty well there. Youre nitpicking. He's gonna be a better nhl player than either Shinkaruk or Floormat. He reminds me of a young Mark Messier.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Absolutely he does. But that's kinda unrelated to the straws I was grasping at there.

If he went to bat for Nail which I believe that he did, he should see how badly they have ruined him as a player. Some of that lays at Nail's feet but not all of it. The consensus 1st overall is looking like Paajarvi of a few years ago, Eakins is gone but how much did his year and a half here damage the team? That's all on MacT.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Nah you're right Yakupov should be a 70 pt player this year playing 3rd line minutes with guys like Lander and Arcobello centering him. His most dangerous weapon was his shot and nobody has the ability to get him the puck for any type of shot in the offensive zone. What has Eberle or Hall really done when they haven't played with RNH? barely anything.

Not sure what happened to that shot, in his first season he had moments where he looked like a one-shot scorer type like a Stamkos. It seems like the goalies are aware of him now, and are very capable of stopping whatever he has in his arsenal.

ConAirMcDavid

Dec 2, 2014
@TheHockeyChat saying the Oilers are one of 3 Canadian teams in the Hunt for Mike Richards. I don't know how trustworthy that source is (probably not very), but it seems plausible and its something that's been talked about before.

What do you think it would take for the Kings to send Richards to Edmonton? He hasn't 20+ goals for a few years now, so it shouldn't cost the moon. I see him as being a younger, faster, more skilled Gordon. I think he could work well with Yak or Eberle, where he could handle the brunt of the defensive responsibility and let the wingers do their work.

I feel like Petry is a guy LA would like to have. I don't know if its the Oilers fan in me, but I think that alone would be overpaying on our part, especially with Richards' current contract. What do you think?

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
@TheHockeyChat saying the Oilers are one of 3 Canadian teams in the Hunt for Mike Richards. I don't know how trustworthy that source is (probably not very), but it seems plausible and its something that's been talked about before.

What do you think it would take for the Kings to send Richards to Edmonton? He hasn't 20+ goals for a few years now, so it shouldn't cost the moon. I see him as being a younger, faster, more skilled Gordon. I think he could work well with Yak or Eberle, where he could handle the brunt of the defensive responsibility and let the wingers do their work.

I feel like Petry is a guy LA would like to have. I don't know if its the Oilers fan in me, but I think that alone would be overpaying on our part, especially with Richards' current contract. What do you think?

That hasn't really been the case for a few years now. He was never a burner, but I seem to recall a few people at least saying how Richards' skating has really regressed over the last few years.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Richards and Gordon are quite different players, and Richards is definitely not faster. Gordon is a big guy but he is not really all that physical. For Richards to be very effective he really has to play full out and be very physical. It's this sort of play though that has really taken a toll on him. I am honestly not sure how much more he has in the tank.

If he wanted to be an Oiler he could be an exceptional leader, because he is a real heart and soul type player. But I do wonder how much interest he would have at this stage of his career in playing for a team like the Oilers. But he has five more years left at $5.75M and it is not at all clear to me that this is a contract you want to take on given what he brings to the table.

Last edited:

McDeathbyCheerios*

Richards and Gordon are quite different players, and Richards is definitely not faster. Gordon is a big guy but he is not really all that physical. For Richards to be very effective he really has to play full out and be very physical. It's this sort of play though that has really taken a toll on him. I am honestly not sure how much more he has in the tank.

If he wanted to be an Oiler he could be an exceptional leader, because he is a real heart and soul type player. But I do wonder how much interest he would have at this stage of his career in playing for a team like the Oilers. But he has three more years left at $5.75M and it is not at all clear to me that this is a contract you want to take on given what he brings to the table.
If he can be a legit veteran that brings it on the ice and in the room like Gordon then he is worth the money.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton

I've been a big supporter of bringing Richards into Edmonton. He plays the style of game that we need on our team and has a ton of heart.
I would think that Pitt's 1st rounder being part of the deal would certainly help. Something around Petry + Pitt's 1st and maybe a prospect should get it done.

The bigger issues are Richards would most likely never waive to come to Edmonton and LA would be pretty wary of trading him within the division for picks and prospects..

The last thing the Pacific division teams want to do is throw Edmonton a life line to get them out of the basement... LA is most likely targeting teams in the East like Toronto and Winnipeg (as Freidman reported)

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton

If he wanted to be an Oiler he could be an exceptional leader, because he is a real heart and soul type player. But I do wonder how much interest he would have at this stage of his career in playing for a team like the Oilers. But he has three more years left at $5.75M and it is not at all clear to me that this is a contract you want to take on given what he brings to the table.

When the rumours were at their peak of Richards being on the trade market, Gregor talked about how in his final year of his contract he could be an easy buyout target if need be.

He is the perfect player to help keep Draisaitl and McEichel(hopefully) down in the depth chart where they should be until they are ready.... no more throwing rookies to the wolves and playing them 20 mins a night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->