Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Stauffer Speculates About Another NCAA Forward Signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Fayne and Kulemin both have 2 years left but Fayne's cap hit is ~500k left.

Kulemin's a decent player and he was a right shot I'd be fine with it but adding another expensive left shot would be tough.
I figure taking the extra $500K would partially address the salary difference between Eberle and Hamonic. The reality is that Hamonic is on a steal of a contract and having him in the lineup would give us a lot more financial flexibility in the future. I figure he's underpaid by at least $2M and possibly more in this economic climate.

If Kulemin is a disaster, I suspect the Oilers would just waive him down to Bakersfield and take the hit like they did with Fayne this year.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I could see us retaining on Eberle on a Hamonic deal. Hamonic's cap hit is crazy low for what he brings. We would benefit in the end even if we retained 2 million on Eberle since Hamonic's deal is a season longer.

Y'know, if Eberle's contract was only for 4-4.5 Million a season, that would be just about perfect. Either to keep him or as a trading piece.
But nooooo. They had to lump him in with Hall and RNH as part of the six million dollar core.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
I figure taking the extra $500K would partially address the salary difference between Eberle and Hamonic. The reality is that Hamonic is on a steal of a contract and having him in the lineup would give us a lot more financial flexibility in the future. I figure he's underpaid by at least $2M and possibly more in this economic climate.

If Kulemin is a disaster, I suspect the Oilers would just waive him down to Bakersfield and take the hit like they did with Fayne this year.

Yeah, that'd be pretty stomach-able. I think he PKs well so there's that?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Y'know, if Eberle's contract was only for 4-4.5 Million a season, that would be just about perfect. Either to keep him or as a trading piece.
But nooooo. They had to lump him in with Hall and RNH as part of the six million dollar core.

So you think a reasonable price for a guy capable of scoring 30 goals and 65 points a year is in the 4-4.5 range?

:help:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
One piece I'd be intrigued in trying to acquire from the Islanders is Dal Colle. He's a big winger whose stock is pretty down for being drafted 5th overall two years ago but he put up great numbers in the OHL for Kingston after getting dealt from Oshawa where he was struggling. If the Islanders insist on a guy like Nurse being involved in the deal, Dal Colle is one name that interests me along with Anders Lee.

Dal Colle would be an awesome pickup. The kid oozes talent. But I think he's a guy Snow hopes to fill JT's LW in the coming years at a cheap rate. Seeing how Snow likes his cheap contracts, plucking his blue chip prospects from him seems like a difficult task.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge

Pretty sure when Eberle signed that contract he was coming off his career year 34 goals and 76 points. Seemed like a good deal at the time and I still dont hate it.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

For the Oilers Hamonic is a bargain because of his cap hit. But he will be making $4.875M in real dollars until his deal is done. The Islanders are more interested in salary than cap. Kulimen vs Fayne saves them a fair bit as Fayne will make $3.5M for the next two years and Kulimen makes $4.25 next year and $5.25 in the last year of his deal. So in terms of real dollars that deal is actually pretty much a wash with a slight plus for the Islanders.

Last edited:

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Hopefully the Islanders get eliminated tonight. Maybe then we'll find out sooner if a deal is on the table.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Exactly what year do you think this is? Lol
He's getting paid exactly what you'd expect for a scoring winger with his numbers.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
As a UFA Eberle would get 7 with at least a NTC.

Agreed eberle takes a lot of crap on this board despite doing the hardest thing in today's game and that's score, he's a perennial 25 goal scorer and I bet with a full year alongside mcdavid he's a 30 plus goal scorer, those are expensive assets

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Watching Dumba in this WHC and I've got myself thinking that I have never seen a game where he has impressed me. Looks like a 3rd pairing guy with questionable IQ offensively and defensively, and he's undersized... And despite being lauded for his shot, it doesn't actually seem all that effective.

No way would this guy be a primary target for me.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Watching Dumba in this WHC and I've got myself thinking that I have never seen a game where he has impressed me. Looks like a 3rd pairing guy with questionable IQ offensively and defensively, and he's undersized... And despite being lauded for his shot, it doesn't actually seem all that effective.

The only thing IMO that Dumba brings is the hitting the odd time and a somewhat hard shot.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I've said this for a while. He is a very dumb player, and whether thats just a lasting image from the WJC's when he was Canada's worst dman or not I'm not sure. Every other time I've seen him though he hasn't looked good. He's a good skater who can throw big hits, but he's overmatched physically in front of the net and on the boards, makes numerous stupid decisions, and his offensive game at the very best might match Vatanen in his prime, but even thats extremely questionable.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

he's nothing special, I frown when I hear his name being mentioned as a target

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Isles are a garbage team. They badly need a solid goaltender and some scoring, if JT isn't scoring then it isn't getting done. I'm sure he's gonna be thrilled when they let their 2nd leading scorer and the only other guy on that team who can create offense consistently walk because they are too cheap to pay him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

My head hurts when I see people proposing RNH for Dumba.

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
Isles are a garbage team. They badly need a solid goaltender and some scoring, if JT isn't scoring then it isn't getting done. I'm sure he's gonna be thrilled when they let their 2nd leading scorer and the only other guy on that team who can create offense consistently walk because they are too cheap to pay him.

Garbage teams don't make it to the 2nd round of playoffs. If Islanders are "garbage" does that make Oilers flaming dog crap?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Garbage teams don't make it to the 2nd round of playoffs. If Islanders are "garbage" does that make Oilers flaming dog crap?

Calgary made the 2nd round last year. All it takes is a lucky matchup.

Most teams in the east aren't great. The Isle included. Put them in the west and they miss the playoffs.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Calgary made the 2nd round last year. All it takes is a lucky matchup.

Most teams in the east aren't great. The Isle included. Put them in the west and they miss the playoffs.

Yeah I agree. I don't envy Islander fans. Hamonic will be gone, Okposo and Martin likely gone. I won't be surprised if Tavares leaves too. I think Garth Snow's team has peaked.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
With Yak basically having both feet out the door and most here willing to wave goodbye to Eberle (and even see the team retain salary to get rid of him)... what exactly will this team have on the RW for depth?

I know some think Eberle is one-dimensional but the Oilers will be no-dimensional on the right side with him gone.

Is Caggiula ready for #1RW duty... or is that job open for Dubois when he's drafted by the Oilers in June?

I'm being a little facetious saying that... but they basically NEED to pick up a solid winger this summer (like Okposo) if Eberle is being shipped out.

Pakarinen
Kassian
Cracknell

Not exactly a stellar RW group... even though I like all three of those players... they really aren't ready to be stapled to the top 6.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Agreed eberle takes a lot of crap on this board despite doing the hardest thing in today's game and that's score, he's a perennial 25 goal scorer and I bet with a full year alongside mcdavid he's a 30 plus goal scorer, those are expensive assets

We are going to miss Eberle once he's traded. He's been one of the league's top scoring RW's since he entered the league. Remove him and it leave's a huge hole on the right side.

10 years of no playoffs, 4 1st OA's and the other years being top 10 picks. I think you answered your own question. Put NYI in the West and they don't make the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad