Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread II | I Dealt The Word 'Trade' For A Thread Count. Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Why does anyone think Jim Nill would have been available for the Oilers?

Alberta Boy, and the roster. Hell of a lot more to work with here then what he had when he showed up in Dallas. His contract was up and his kids were done school so it was widely known he'd be looking at taking a GM position somewhere. He had turned several GM positions down previously because he didn't want to move while his kids were in school.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I asked the Bruins board about Colin Miller. They didn't want to deal him.

They proposed Hayes for Yakupov and then tried to give us Seidenberg.

Feel like Sweeney might have the same reaction.

It doesn't matter what Sweeney thinks. Lowe... I mean Neely would have to get over his personal grudge with Chiarelli for anything to happen between the Oilers and Bruins.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He took a bad team and made it worse. Nothing else matters.

Also, he handcuffed Chia last offseason due to the anchor contracts he had on the books and depreciated assets due to the poison of the Eakins era.
Not to mention all the fan soul crushing press conferences and false promises.

We're still handcuffed by Ference's and Fayne's deals.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Tambo made small moves only but each one completely sucked. MacT made more bigger moves but got burned on a couple of them

A ton of people on here are forgetting MacT was heaped praise when he got Scrivens and Fasth for nothing and Scrivens rocked a .916 in his first year here (same as Talbot). Or the fact hes brought in Pouliot (the most underrated Oilers) whos had 2 career years here and been staple on the best lines the past 2 years. MacT then turned MPS into Perron (win trade), got career year from Perron, and then dealt him to Pittsburgh for a 1st (14) another win. Thats two bigger trades he won in a row

Then he offloaded Smid and picked up Brossoit. Smid has went on to compeltely flop in Calgary and LB has dominated in the AHL. Another win trade that was pretty ballsy

MacT has made horrendous deals too. And more bad than good. But its disingenuous to forget the 2/3 good moves he made.

If MacT can suggest a MPS deal (Yak for undervalued vet) and a Smid deal (Fayne for prospect), this team will be better off

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
In my mind there are really only 2 things that are unforgivable for McTavish. Eakins and Petry. The rest of it isn't really so bad. He did smarter work at the draft than Tambellini did because drafting for need past round one really ****ed the depth of this organization over. At least MacT got some pieces that might work out after the first round was over.
Couple of poor GMs the real difference was Tambo sat on his hands and waited until he missed the boat to make moves and MacT just made some pretty blatant screw ups at full speed they detracted from the good things he did actually do.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I asked the Bruins board about Colin Miller. They didn't want to deal him.

They proposed Hayes for Yakupov and then tried to give us Seidenberg.

Feel like Sweeney might have the same reaction.

As expected. Chara is declining, Seidenberg fell off a cliff, they re-signed McQuaid for some reason, lost Boychuk and Hamilton.

They need to keep Colin Miller if they can.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Tambo made small moves only but each one completely sucked. MacT made more bigger moves but got burned on a couple of them

A ton of people on here are forgetting MacT was heaped praise when he got Scrivens and Fasth for nothing and Scrivens rocked a .916 in his first year here (same as Talbot). Or the fact hes brought in Pouliot (the most underrated Oilers) whos had 2 career years here and been staple on the best lines the past 2 years. MacT then turned MPS into Perron (win trade), got career year from Perron, and then dealt him to Pittsburgh for a 1st (14) another win. Thats two bigger trades he won in a row

Then he offloaded Smid and picked up Brossoit. Smid has went on to compeltely flop in Calgary and LB has dominated in the AHL. Another win trade that was pretty ballsy

MacT has made horrendous deals too. And more bad than good. But its disingenuous to forget the 2/3 good moves he made.

If MacT can suggest a MPS deal (Yak for undervalued vet) and a Smid deal (Fayne for prospect), this team will be better off

None of this matters. It's a results oriented business and he produced 2 of the worst seasons that I can remember in my Oiler fan history (20 years now) and there have been a lot of soul crushing seasons. None worse than the 2 years MacT was GM.
Hell, even he said that he would be judged based on the Eakins hiring. Well, there ya go. F-
Granted, there were some moves that most of us were a fan of but he failed, plain and simple.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He is being evaluated by Chia this season, Chia needs to see if he's worth bringing back or not. If he does return I will have lost some respect for Chia TBH.

Lowe overruling great trades by MacT really sounds like wishful thinking on your part. It's always Lowe's fault and never MacT's according to MacT fans. That's rich.

The fact hes been kept close to Chiarelli for a while and now even appears to be given more responsibility is kind of going against what so many people in here think.

Again, im not in the room so I am speculating too. But in the best case situation: MacT had a number of good moves up his sleeve that were all rejected by Lowe. Chiarelli hears these moves and likes them and keeps him around

I mean if MacT was saying " yeah I had a near agreement with Anton Stralman for 4 years * 4.5 mil but Lowe axed the deal, hes the emails from 2014" I could forsure see Chiarelli see the benefit to MacT

Too many people are completely forgetting MacT made good deals

I need to go shower tho, feel so dirty some what defending MacT (who I think was a horrible GM)

Oct 15, 2008
Team hasn't made the playoofs in ten years, much of which Crapt was either head coach or gm, and there are still people that will defend him.

Hard to believe but true nonetheless

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Tambellini and MacT are ultimately together in the Terrible Hall of Fame.

Chiarelli has a big summer ahead because either he's a hero or he joins them.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
None of this matters. It's a results oriented business and he produced 2 of the worst seasons that I can remember in my Oiler fan history (20 years now) and there have been a lot of soul crushing seasons. None worse than the 2 years MacT was GM.
Hell, even he said that he would be judged based on the Eakins hiring. Well, there ya go. F-
Granted, there were some moves that most of us were a fan of but he failed, plain and simple.

Yes, at the end of the day he failed, I agree. But that doesnt mean he didnt have 15 great ideas vetoed. Deals that know would be considered great. This is just speculation but could be reality given the fact hes been kept around

Not every time a GM or coach is fired after bad seasons do they instantly become hot garbage. I mean at one time Quenville was fired for being bad, know hes best coach in the NHL.

At the end of the day, noone knows what happens in meetings or the reasons behind them. Just have to trust two of the best minds in hockey know what they are doing

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Belanger didn't have a $4.5 million price tag attached last that I checked.

What's wrong with Fayne? MacT saw him as an upgrade on Petry, that's what's wrong. He literally paid duds to take the place of a decent defenseman.

Tambo's initial plan wasn't to tank, but after it all went downhill that was quite clearly the plan.

Tambo was throwing money around throughout his entire tenure. If he wanted to lose he could have done it for less cash.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
We're still handcuffed by Ference's and Fayne's deals.

Fayne's contract is not ideal. Ference's deal is like being handcuffed to slab of concrete in the ocean. If he cannot be bought out this summer because he remains injured, his NMC may force the Oilers to protect him next June in the rumored expansion draft.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The problem with MacT is not that he was willing to take risks, it's that his risks were bad gambles to begin with.

Compare him for example to the Reinhart trade. A risky move to be sure and indeed one that looks like it won't pay off, but even that move is infinite times less risky than offering Clarkson the contract he was offered, or giving your best D-man a one year 'challenge' contract that takes him straight to UFA.

I actually give MacT a bit of a pass for hiring Eakins in the first place, but he took another huge risk(read - obvious disaster) in hanging onto Eakins for as long as he did.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Team hasn't made the playoofs in ten years, much of which Crapt was either head coach or gm, and there are still people that will defend him.

Hard to believe but true nonetheless

Im not defending MacT per se. I am just speaking out against some pretty incredible revisionist hindsight and complete logical fallacies. I guess thats human nature

Mac T made good moves plain and simple. And two smart people have kept him around. If you twist things to forget his good moves and then try and believe you actually know anything about anything when it comes to what happens in the meeting, then yes he is 100% horrible and everything he thinks is also horrible

Oct 15, 2008
Im not defending MacT per se. I am just speaking out against some pretty incredible revisionist hindsight and complete logical fallacies. I guess thats human nature

Mac T made good moves plain and simple. And two smart people have kept him around. If you twist things to forget his good moves and then try and believe you actually know anything about anything when it comes to what happens in the meeting, then yes he is 100% horrible and everything he thinks is also horrible

Please list all the good moves. Mact was **** from day one. I recognized this and have said so all along. Revisionist? No chance.

He is here because Katz demands it. There simply is no other reasonable explanation.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
This isn't a thread about what MacT and Tambo did. Start up a new one if you want to talk about that.

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
Fayne's contract is not ideal. Ference's deal is like being handcuffed to slab of concrete in the ocean. If he cannot be bought out this summer because he remains injured, his NMC may force the Oilers to protect him next June in the rumored expansion draft.

Why would they have to protect a UFA?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Why would they have to protect a UFA?

Because he has a NMC

Ferences deal is not a worry at all, and there is some blatant fear mongering.

1. You can buy out a injured player, they just have to agree. Im guessing hes done anyway so hell agree. This is most likely outcome

2. You can buy him out at any point next season when he does get better.

3. In the worst or worst cases where we for some reason dont buy him out. You can ask him to waive NMC for the draft. Hell be a UFA days after the expansion draft and his career is likely over. There is no reason for him to not waive his NMC. By waving NMC he allows himself to be subject to draft (where that team doesnt take him)

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Because he has a NMC

Ferences deal is not a worry at all, and there is some blatant fear mongering.

1. You can buy out a injured player, they just have to agree. Im guessing hes done anyway so hell agree. This is most likely outcome

2. You can buy him out at any point next season when he does get better.

3. In the worst or worst cases where we for some reason dont buy him out. You can ask him to waive NMC for the draft. Hell be a UFA days after the expansion draft and his career is likely over. There is no reason for him to not waive his NMC. By waving NMC he allows himself to be subject to draft (where that team doesnt take him)

My point being, we do not know how bad the Ference contract truly is until the rules come out (assuming expansion is approved next month). It has the potential to be very bad, however, if the NHL decides to be very restrictive with respect to NMC.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
My point being, we do not know how bad the Ference contract truly is until the rules come out (assuming expansion is approved next month). It has the potential to be very bad, however, if the NHL decides to be very restrictive with respect to NMC.

They kind of already said NMC will be a forced protect. But if you buy him out tomorrow that eliminates any issue

And if worst comes to worst and we are somehow stuck with him taking up a roster spot, its not the end of the world. Davidson is likely out best-exposed D and I am guessing there is 6 better D out there exposed. I will bet a pretty penny our claimed player is either Maroon or Pouliot. I could see Pouliot given a premier role next year on a scoring line again, putting up a 50-55 points and being a mighty appealing claim

We can also give new team a pick to not claim a D from us

In the end I think there is significantly more opporunity for us to exploit the new expansion draft rules than there is risk from us potentially (very small chance) having to expose a top 4 D

Alberta Oilfire

Jun 4, 2010
Central Alberta
Sign Kyle Okposo to take over Eberle's spot. Trade Eberle + for D. Then as far as the 4th overall pick goes; I have no clue. Sometimes I'm thinking just take Tkachuk. Then other times I'm thinking trade down with Arizona or Montreal. Really looking forward to the the draft.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
They kind of already said NMC will be a forced protect. But if you buy him out tomorrow that eliminates any issue

And if worst comes to worst and we are somehow stuck with him taking up a roster spot, its not the end of the world. Davidson is likely out best-exposed D and I am guessing there is 6 better D out there exposed. I will bet a pretty penny our claimed player is either Maroon or Pouliot. I could see Pouliot given a premier role next year on a scoring line again, putting up a 50-55 points and being a mighty appealing claim

We can also give new team a pick to not claim a D from us

In the end I think there is significantly more opporunity for us to exploit the new expansion draft rules than there is risk from us potentially (very small chance) having to expose a top 4 D

If Ference remains on the IR during the buyout window between Jun 15-30, as you mentioned, they will need his approval for the buyout. I just do not see a reason why he would agree to accept only 2/3 of his owed salary spread out over two seasons. Perhaps the Oilers could dangle a front office job to sweeten the deal; however, I imagine the NHL would want to take a closer look at any such arrangement.

The potential loss of a protection spot by having to burn one for Ference could really limit any deal Chiarelli makes for a veteran player this off-season. Depending on the rules for exempt players (e.g., what is considered a pro year), the Oilers could have a lot of leverage in the trade market because they would possess numerous spots for which to acquire players other teams do not want to lose for nothing. This is Chiarelli's summer to make a big move and it would be unfortunate if Ference's contract lessens the impact any major trade could have on this franchise.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Sign Kyle Okposo to take over Eberle's spot. Trade Eberle + for D. Then as far as the 4th overall pick goes; I have no clue. Sometimes I'm thinking just take Tkachuk. Then other times I'm thinking trade down with Arizona or Montreal. Really looking forward to the the draft.

No, NOT Okposo. As someone else said (forget who) Okposo will be the Clarkson of this year's free agent class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->