Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: Cap Gymnastics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don’t think so, who’s played more minutes, and been as consistent? Klefbom has been hurt a lot, Larsson hasn’t looked great at times, Nurse except for a short period of time has looked like a garbage fire defensively. You may not like Russell’s game, but you know what your going to get from him every time he hits the ice. He reminds me of Steady Steve Staios in a lot of ways.
Yeah, you’re gonna get a guy who gives up more ice than nurse, shoots the puck off the glass more than nurse, lays on his stomach and makes bad d plays more than nurse.

But atleast he’s consistently bad instead of showing glimpses of a top 4 D

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Yeah, you’re gonna get a guy who gives up more ice than nurse, shoots the puck off the glass more than nurse, lays on his stomach and makes bad d plays more than nurse.

Off the glass and out is better then passing it directly to the other team. Setting your defensive partner up to be out of position, and making it look like the play was his fault. I can’t count the number of times nurse wrapped it around the net directly to the other team in the defensive zone.

Reactions: B33K33PING

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

So why aren’t we getting out scored by a huge margin with him on the ice at evens?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
So why aren’t we getting out scored by a huge margin with him on the ice at evens?

Because Connor McDavid scores a lot?

We are getting outscored by a margin that matches any other Oiler when Russell plays behind any other forward group. Only it's worse, because we're being outshot and outpossessed by a margin that exceeds any other Oiler on top of that. So not only are we not doing well, we're not doing well trapped in our own end.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Off the glass and out is better then passing it directly to the other team. Setting your defensive partner up to be out of position, and making it look like the play was his fault. I can’t count the number of times nurse wrapped it around the net directly to the other team in the defensive zone.
You aren’t really objective when it comes to nurse.

He could ice the puck and you would call him a #7 and the worst D in the league.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
And Russell is the only D man to benefit from this of course.

Of course not, but if your big response to us saying Russell sucks is "why aren't his numbers terrible if he's so bad", there's your answer. His numbers without Connor McDavid are bad.

Everybody is outscored without McDavid, but Russell is uniquely trapped in his own zone.

Russell w/o McDavid: 43% CF
Benning w/o McDavid: 45% CF
Nurse w/o McDavid: 46% CF
Sekera w/o McDavid: 48% CF
Klefbom w/o McDavid: 49% CF
Larsson w/o McDavid: 49% CF

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I don’t think Russell is bad, he’s just not our best D like the poster said.

I never said he’s our best d. I said he’s been our best most consistent dman over the last 2 years. The 3 I mentioned are obviously better when at their best. They just haven’t consistently brought their best over the last 2 years, Russell has.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I never said he’s our best d. I said he’s been our best most consistent dman over the last 2 years. The 3 I mentioned are obviously better when at their best. They just haven’t consistently brought their best over the last 2 years, Russell has.
Fair enough, I may have misinterpreted the point.

Reactions: Raab

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Fair enough, I may have misinterpreted the point.

That’s what I believe the difference between a true vet, and a young guy learning the ropes is, consistency. The other 3 should be getting close to the point where you know what they’ll bring consistently.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Russell is a fine #5 defenseman but does this team really have cap space to have a 4 million dollar #5?

Moving Russell makes a lot of sense to me.

If you move him you can look for someone who moves the puck in trade or free agency and if you can't find that player there are a lot of 3rd pairing defensemen available in free agency. Pretty good chance you can find someone on a value contract like the first one he signed with the Oilers.

Maybe you can try Klefbom-Sekera, Nurse-Larsson and then just have to round out the 3rd pair with kids like Jones or free agents.

Add a healthy Sekera and it's an upgrade over this year's group. A smart free agent signing or a kid stepping up and it's a big upgrade.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

About as many times as you can count that the forward was out of position to receive the pick as it came around the boards?

Your hate for Nurse must get tiring.

Reactions: KYams17

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

That’s like constantly coming in 5th out of 7 in Tee ball tournament. Lucic has arguably been our most consistent forward over the last two years. Should we keep him because he’s consistently not very good?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Are you only talking about last year. ? Russel has made a career in giving up chances against.

He played well last year, I'll admit. But 1 year is not worth keeping him..especially if he refers to his old self

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Of course not, but if your big response to us saying Russell sucks is "why aren't his numbers terrible if he's so bad", there's your answer. His numbers without Connor McDavid are bad.

Everybody is outscored without McDavid, but Russell is uniquely trapped in his own zone.

Russell w/o McDavid: 43% CF
Benning w/o McDavid: 45% CF
Nurse w/o McDavid: 46% CF
Sekera w/o McDavid: 48% CF
Klefbom w/o McDavid: 49% CF
Larsson w/o McDavid: 49% CF

Thanks for finding this. I was looking for it

Woodguy did a fantastic write up on this a few years back. It was scary how bad Russel was withiout McD, and how much he stifled him at the same time

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
That’s what I believe the difference between a true vet, and a young guy learning the ropes is, consistency. The other 3 should be getting close to the point where you know what they’ll bring consistently.
You’ve been a Nurse hater forever. His continued development must be killing you. Moving Russell would serve many purposes: it would rid us of an over-priced, declining, small LH shot D, making room for Jones and/or Persson this year and Samorukov/Bouchard/Lagesson.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
You’ve been a Nurse hater forever. His continued development must be killing you. Moving Russell would serve many purposes: it would rid us of an over-priced, declining, small LH shot D, making room for Jones and/or Persson this year and Samorukov/Bouchard/Lagesson.

It would also kill the season once one of Klefbom, Sekera or Larsson go down, resulting in Nurse and Benning being forced into higher minutes and 2 rookies being crow barred into the bottom 4.

Unless the team can find a clear upgrade that fits under the cap, they've gotta roll with Russell for at least one more year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad