Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: Cap Gymnastics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Because that doesn't create cap space. Manning is borderline immovable and finding a taker for him saves you 1M dollars. Benning makes 1.9M and his lowest end replacement is 650,000 - for a cap savings 1.2M.

Trading Kris Russell for nothing could save you 3.4M dollars AFTER replacement. That's a middle six forward by himself.

They have space to upgrade the forwards without moving a guy like Russel. If they can make a move for an impact player and they need more than what they have then they look at possible moves to find a little more space. They have a number of ways they could do this.

Reactions: Raab and Consultant

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
bUt He’S a RoOkIe He NeEdS sEaSoNiNg
He's also never played in North America. Expecting him to replace the contributions of a veteran defenseman who has regularly averaged over 20 minutes a night with heavy PK time is a recipe for failure.

If he's the guy who pushes for the Benning role in camp, fantastic. But plan for him to not do that.

Reactions: joestevens29

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
They have space to upgrade the forwards without moving a guy like Russel. If they can make a move for an impact player and they need more than what they have then they look at possible moves to find a little more space. They have a number of ways they could do this.

At a projected cap of 82.5M ( slightly less than originally projected, as Friedman reported it would be less than expected), they have 11 million dollars in cap space to fill 8 roster spots.

I do not see where you think they have the space to add multiple, proven top-six forwards. They need two wingers and a 3C at minimum. This is probably close to 12-13M dollars invested in three players. They need to find the space for that.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
As far as the Oilers Blueline goes, I would like to see all of Russell, Benning and Gravel gone, and actually try to get Kronwall in as veteran depth a reasonable rate, I think younger guys could learn a lot from him.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
He's also never played in North America. Expecting him to replace the contributions of a veteran defenseman who has regularly averaged over 20 minutes a night with heavy PK time is a recipe for failure.

If he's the guy who pushes for the Benning role in camp, fantastic. But plan for him to not do that.

Kris Russell himself fails in this role currently.

It's not as though they'd be gifting the spot to Persson or Jones. There are 6+ guys in competition for that spot, not including the potential for a bargain experienced 6-7 signing.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Seriously, this is what our middle-six forwards looks like today:

____ RNH ____
____ ____ ____

How do you fix that without spending? Gagner isn't an answer. Khaira and Puljujarvi re-signed should be, at most, the third line wing options. How do you address the rest without spending at least 10M dollars (that the Oilers don't have to spend) on external players? I'm all ears on this.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

And how has the PK been during russell’s tenure of heavy minutes? Have things gone particularly well with him playing on his off side on the second pairing?

This board has had the balls beaten off of them over the last couple years. Even suggest replacing a bottom pairing defenceman and it goes all to pieces.

Your rookies need a shot eventually. Jones has one year left on his ELC. Ditto Lagesson. Someone needs a shot somewhere because we HAVE to clear up some cap space if we want any hope of being competitive next year and if you think it’s coming with a Lucic move, I wish I had your optimism.

Reactions: RebuildTheRebuild

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

____ RNH ____
____ ____ ____

How do you fix that without spending? Gagner isn't an answer. Khaira and Puljujarvi re-signed should be, at most, the third line wing options. How do you address the rest without spending at least 10M dollars (that the Oilers don't have to spend) on external players? I'm all ears on this.

This is always a bit of an exaggeration.

We have lots of guys who play well as the 3rd complimentary piece on any line.

We are missing 3 forwards IMO. 2 wingers and a C for the middle 6. Sadly we had Strome and threw him away.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
This is always a bit of an exaggeration.

We have lots of guys who play well as the 3rd complimentary piece on any line.

We are missing 3 forwards IMO. 2 wingers and a C for the middle 6. Sadly we had Strome and threw him away.

You say I'm exaggerating and then concur that they need two wingers and a C to fill out that group w/, presumably, Khaira/Gagner/Puljujarvi as the 3rd line wingers. Any second line that includes those three is already well below league average.

I'll repeat the question: Fill that without spending 10-15M on players who are not currently Oilers?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Klefbom played 82 games in 16-17, could have played 80 in 17-18 and lost 20 games to an errant stick breaking his hand in 18-19: something that has absolutely nothing to do with being "injury prone" on any level.

He has suffered three major time losses in his career. Two before he ever came to NA like 7 years ago, the other was a freak infection. There is no credibility behind this myth at all.

I think there just a difference of opinion on the meaning . I think the better word for Klefbom is he made of glass . He breaks when the wind blows .

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I think there just a difference of opinion on the meaning . I think the better word for Klefbom is he made of glass . He breaks when the wind blows .

You think he has brittle bone syndrome?

There's no difference in opinion here. This actually isn't subjective. He's either at risk for future injury based on his history, plays a style that is conducive to injury, or he's a guy who has had a few bad breaks.

Only the last makes any sense for this player in the last 5-6 years.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If you think Sekera is going to come back and play at a #2 level, I have a bridge to sell you. He’s still got game but we should thank our lucky stars if he’s even a mid pairing option.

That group needed Vezina caliber goaltending, a top six forward, a 50 point Lucic and a 27 goal Maroon to get us to that level, but no you’re right Kris ****in Russell is so irreplaceable that it doesn’t bear thinking about. Perish the thought.

Last I checked Russell was also on that team. So you want to make another hole we have to fill?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

____ RNH ____
____ ____ ____

Well Chiasson and Kassian are a start. Add in a couple minor trades like Benning for Brown or similar. Also I’m not convinced Khaira won’t be playing top 9. There’s no shortcut. It’s going to take time, we should be building to compete for 21-22. Next year we’ll compete for a playoff spot, but I think Holland will want us as true contenders by that point.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
So was David Desharnais and Laurent Brossoit. Where’s the hand-wringing over them?

Neither played 20 minutes a night. And Russell is twice the player both of them were. I still don’t understand the hate the guy gets when he’s arguably been our best dman over the last two years.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Neither played 20 minutes a night. And Russell is twice the player both of them were. I still don’t understand the hate the guy gets when he’s arguably been our best dman over the last two years.

It would be a mighty short argument.

I don’t hate Russell, but he’s our fifth best defenceman. He makes too much. He’s REMOTELY TRADEABLE, which is a goddamn luxury for us. We need cap space, and there are casualties when you’re as tight to it as we are.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

He isn't all that injury prone, the issue is healing time, if he healed at normal speed he'd probably of missed roughly 40 games over the past 5 seasons. His big injuries were the shoulder injury that he got fixed back in his SHL days and has always been a nagging thing, never re-injured, just one injury that wasn't fixed correctly in the first place and then his staph infection, remove those two and his injury history looks pretty normal.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I also think it’s worth noting that both Marody and Benson look like they’ll be ready for the big team next year. Macleod might also be ready, but could take another year. Theoretically without adding anyone our lineup could be:

RNH-Mcdavid-Kassian
Benson-Draisaitl-Chiasson
Macleod-Marody-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Brodziak-Cave
Lucic

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I know you can’t stand hearing this.

But nurse was better than Russell this year.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It would be a mighty short argument.

I don’t hate Russell, but he’s our fifth best defenceman. He makes too much. He’s REMOTELY TRADEABLE, which is a goddamn luxury for us. We need cap space, and there are casualties when you’re as tight to it as we are.

I don’t think so, who’s played more minutes, and been as consistent? Klefbom has been hurt a lot, Larsson hasn’t looked great at times, Nurse except for a short period of time has looked like a garbage fire defensively. You may not like Russell’s game, but you know what your going to get from him every time he hits the ice. He reminds me of Steady Steve Staios in a lot of ways.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I also think it’s worth noting that both Marody and Benson look like they’ll be ready for the big team next year. Macleod might also be ready, but could take another year. Theoretically without adding anyone our lineup could be:

RNH-Mcdavid-Kassian
Benson-Draisaitl-Chiasson
Jones-Marody-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Brodziak-Cave
Lucic
Jones? As in Caleb Jones? He is a D.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Well Chiasson and Kassian are a start. Add in a couple minor trades like Benning for Brown or similar. Also I’m not convinced Khaira won’t be playing top 9. There’s no shortcut. It’s going to take time, we should be building to compete for 21-22. Next year we’ll compete for a playoff spot, but I think Holland will want us as true contenders by that point.

Kassian is presumably on the top-line with Draisaitl and McDavid. I don't see him as a 2line option. He's either where he was productive last year or firmly in the bottom six.

I don't think they're going to pay Chiasson. He's likely to score half as many goals, if even that, and this is his last and probably only chance to cash in with a contract.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Jones? As in Caleb Jones? He is a D.

I meant Macleod. I know Jones is a dman. Point still stands. If we give even just Benson and Marody lineup spots, we can afford to go after one top 6 winger and a goalie in free agency IMO. I would be totally fine with this:

RNH-Mcdavid-Kassian
Nyquist-Draisaitl-Chiasson
Benson-Marody-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Brodziak-Cave

We don’t need to downgrade the defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad