Rumor: Rumors & Proposals | Moar NCAA Free Agents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm ready to trade Eberle this offseason. For a while i thought he was snake bitten, just having a bad stretch.
It's been going on for too long though. I don't know what it is, but he's just lost it. I thought maybe he'd step up in the playoffs, take himself to another level, or atleast up to the level he's shown in the past. But he hasn't. He's playing with more intensity, as he should, but everyone else is as well. And he's still not producing. He's not getting goals. He can create all the chances he wants, but without the finish they're all for nothing.
It's plainly obvious as for the past 20 games he's gone to his backhand in most of his opportunities. It's a sign that he has lost all confidence in his wrister. Even though he misses the net on 90% of his backhands, he still turns to them.

His only strength was his shot, he essentially had a $6M shot.
You don't pay 20 goal wingers $6M. There are going to be plenty available this offseason that will give us more dimensions at half the cost.

The only problem now is how to you unload a $6M 20-goal scorer that isn't big or physical and average defensively.

His ability to create speed through the neutral zone, clean zone entries (when he's not going off-side), his ability to read off of line-mates to create high quality scoring chances, his improving defensive game...He is still one of the league's top players at his position.

People get tunnel-visioned on players when they aren't scoring.

So to answer that question, you don't unload him because he's nowhere near being a salary dump.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I'd prefer longevity over blowing our wad at the first hint of success.

Our defense as it stands today had us a win away from a regular season divisional title and currently has us a win away from competing for the playoff divisional title. Blowing it up to add a big ticket player would be extremely irresponsible financially and honestly doesn't necessarily mean improvement. The three guys you mentioned will never be available so what do you have left where you're paying an arm and a leg?

It wouldn't at all be financially irresponsible to bring in a big ticket defenseman as long as RNH or Eberle were in the package too. It would basically be the same cap going out as coming in. We could bring in a 7M D and still spend less on defense than a lot of teams.

Assuming Reinhart signs for around 1M the Oilers would have 23 mil tied up in their top 6 with a 7M addition. The Habs are over 25 mil for their top 6.

What if Doughty/Karlsson make it known to the Kings/Sens they wont sign an extension in the coming years? I'd have no problem dealing RNH, Nurse, and a 1st or two for that type of player. That gets the Oilers a few cups in the next 5 years.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It wouldn't at all be financially irresponsible to bring in a big ticket defenseman as long as RNH or Eberle were in the package too. It would basically be the same cap going out as coming in. We could bring in a 7M D and still spend less on defense than a lot of teams.

Assuming Reinhart signs for around 1M the Oilers would have 23 mil tied up in their top 6 with a 7M addition. The Habs are over 25 mil for their top 6.

What if Doughty/Karlsson make it known to the Kings/Sens they wont sign an extension in the coming years? I'd have no problem dealing RNH, Nurse, and a 1st or two for that type of player. That gets the Oilers a few cups in the next 5 years.

Now you're talking impossibilities though. Of course you make that trade. You trade four first rounders and you decimate your farm system for them too. But it'll never happen. Those guys never get traded and when they do, historically, they get traded for each other as seen in the Subban/Weber deal. You don't trade away franchise defensemen. They're like unicorns.

On the other side of the spectrum, trading Nurse for anybody and replacing him with Reinhart makes your defense immediately worse--and I like Reinhart and think he'll be a legit NHL defender. Nurse made huge gains this year and is looking like he's coming into his own as a physical, puck-rushing defender. He'll be a low cost option for several seasons and has the potential to move up the lineup.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
His ability to create speed through the neutral zone, clean zone entries (when he's not going off-side), his ability to read off of line-mates to create high quality scoring chances, his improving defensive game...He is still one of the league's top players at his position.

People get tunnel-visioned on players when they aren't scoring.

So to answer that question, you don't unload him because he's nowhere near being a salary dump.

Agreed.

Here you have a career 14% shooter who shot 9%. He spent most of the season on McLellan's match-up line in the hardest minutes of his entire career, with second unit PP time, and still managed to be 20th in his position in scoring.

Not sure how anyone thinks that will be so easy to replace that we should just dump him for salary space. Particularly since we shouldn't need the space next year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wonder what the long term plan is.

Nurse is clearly a top 4 D. He is very much ascended to that over the course of this season, but he's put in a lower role. He's ready for more minutes.

So as of next season do we walk away from Russell and put Nurse with Sekera? That pairing wasn't great in the past, but Nurse is a different player now, and of course the rest of the team gives much better support.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Agreed.

Here you have a career 14% shooter who shot 9%. He spent most of the season on McLellan's match-up line in the hardest minutes of his entire career, with second unit PP time, and still managed to be 20th in his position in scoring.

Not sure how anyone thinks that will be so easy to replace that we should just dump him for salary space. Particularly since we shouldn't need the space next year.

That being said....I DO AGREE....of the two $6m guys, he's probably the guy I do move. Maybe even this summer if the right deal comes along. And that's simply because cheap wingers are plentiful in this league and good centers are next to impossible to acquire. But make no mistake, the guy you ultimately replace him with isn't going to be as good as he is.

I'm still 100% leaning towards a Strome deal.

Nurse is clearly a top 4 D. He is very much ascended to that over the course of this season, but he's put in a lower role. He's ready for more minutes.

So as of next season do we walk away from Russell and put Nurse with Sekera? That pairing wasn't great in the past, but Nurse is a different player now, and of course the rest of the team gives much better support.

I think they keep the same defense and improve on Eric Gryba as a press-box option. Russell has more than proven his usefulness in these playoffs. Unless he prices himself out of here, I'd be mildly surprised to see Chiarelli let him walk.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I think it could potentially be a mistake to assume Nurse or Benning can play a top 4 role. Think hes a bit too inexperienced and inconsistent to assume he will be a top4 dman next year.

Perhaps this playoffs, Nurse will emerge and prove he is a top 4 dman. I think the problem is that in the advent that Nurse does turn into a top4 next year, it wouldnt be a good idea to have someone like Russell locked into a 3-4 year contract. Yet it would be nice to have someone insulate Nurse if he isnt a top 4 dman. Is kinda why I think it would be a mistake to sign Russell to more than 2 years.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I did watch last night and he was very good, but if he is not passing Sekera or Klefbom on the depth chart in the coming years it might be wise to cash in on his expansion exempt status and bring back a major piece to help the team push for a cup. We can afford to bring in a large cap hit to round out the top 4 defense and there will be plenty of bottom pair options on ELC's coming up through the system in 1-2 years.

Again, it would have to be a big fish for me to put Nurse in a package deal. I threw out names like Karlsson, OEL, or Parayko for this type of scenario. Players that would push this team over the top next year.

I think Nurse passing Sekera on the depth chart is exactly what we're looking for.

Sekera = upgrade on Russell. If we can develop another D or trade Eberle for a Gryba upgrade ....ie. a veterany RD who can do a bit of everyhing and pitch in in the top 4....thats what you do....maybe try and get a pick in there.

Guys that come to mind;

Braun
Petrovic
Colin Miller?
Phaneuf?
Myers?
Girardi?
Vatanen?

....Maybe even Fayne?

my self deprecating fantasy trade would be eberle and fayne for girardi and miller/kreider

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
That being said....I DO AGREE....of the two $6m guys, he's probably the guy I do move. Maybe even this summer if the right deal comes along. And that's simply because cheap wingers are plentiful in this league and good centers are next to impossible to acquire. But make no mistake, the guy you ultimately replace him with isn't going to be as good as he is.

Agreed that if one of the two is moved it should be Eberle. The Islanders are already close up to the cap next year. Any deal with the Islanders would have to balance out salary.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Agreed.

What people miss also is that he doesn't cheat for offense this year, This has been by far his best year defensively.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So instead of our RW being overpaid by 1.5-2m, our backup goalie is overpaid by 4.5?

For a year?

Halak could play a considerable number of games so Talbot wouldn't need to be run into the ground next season. And getting a quality prospect back like MDC makes taking that cap on completely worthwhile.

At first I thought this was a bit unrealistic but I think the value isn't too bad. Strome hasn't set the world on fire. Halak has a huge cap hit, and Dal Colle had a decent AHL rookie season.

I'm not completely certain Garth Snow would be willing to pay that much of a premium but I see it as being far more realistic than prying Hamonic off the island. As for Strome, I think there could be some untapped potential there and his ability to play center makes him an intriguing target.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd still be all in on Tavares, especially if the Islanders can't get him to sign in the summer.

I would just sign one of Elliott or Johnson to be back up next year. $2 mill for Elliott or $1.5 mill for Johnson. I don't trust Broissoit (sorry Laurent). Both of the guys while having flaws can still easily give you 20 good starts IMO.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

You need to see what you have when you're ready to make the deal IMO.

Maybe after next year, Jesse is a demon pushing for clear top-six minutes and Kass is a long term fit at 3RW, so you can move Ebs. Maybe Drai moves back to C and you can't justify more than 20M going to your three top centres, so it's RNH.

One or both of RNH and Eberle will go eventually, but I don't see this summer as the time for it, and the roster itself will dictate which one needs to move on.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
My game plan is still to keep Eberle and Nuge both for one more season. Then when McDavids contract starts we trade the one deemed most expendable.

1) Trade Pou for a 7th to AZ
2) Trade our 1st for Mike Green
3) Let Russ and DD walk
4) Sign Bonino with the Cap saved from Pou

Maroon - McDavid - Drai
Lucic - RNH - Eberle
Cagiula - Bonino - Puljujarvi
Slepy - Test - Kassian

Klef-Lar
Sekera - Green
Nurse - Benning

So your thinking the third worst minus player from this years Red Wings is going to be an upgrade for our defense and is worth a first?

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013

Maybe after next year, Jesse is a demon pushing for clear top-six minutes and Kass is a long term fit at 3RW, so you can move Ebs. Maybe Drai moves back to C and you can't justify more than 20M going to your three top centres, so it's RNH.

One or both of RNH and Eberle will go eventually, but I don't see this summer as the time for it, and the roster itself will dictate which one needs to move on.

I actually thought RNH showed flashes of usefulness last night. Don't get me wrong - he's still vastly overpaid, but at least he brought something to the table. Eberle on the other hand has been hot and utter garbage this playoffs. Can't hit, can't skate, never fights for a puck. Unfortunately I'd guess every other NHL GM has watched him play like arse too, so really what are you going to get for arse at $6 million? Honestly that smug look on Eberle's face just makes me burn... Contributing nothing, accomplished nothing, not dedicated to his craft whatsoever, set for life. Pathetic.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I actually thought RNH showed flashes of usefulness last night. Don't get me wrong - he's still vastly overpaid, but at least he brought something to the table. Eberle on the other hand has been hot and utter garbage this playoffs. Can't hit, can't skate, never fights for a puck. Unfortunately I'd guess every other NHL GM has watched him play like arse too, so really what are you going to get for arse at $6 million? Honestly that smug look on Eberle's face just makes me burn... Contributing nothing, accomplished nothing, not dedicated to his craft whatsoever, set for life. Pathetic.

Eberle has been fine this series. His regular season play was pretty poor but he's been fine in the 5 games so far.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

The way I see it right now Drai is your #1RW until he's not. That McDavid/Draisaitl pair was the top producing pair in the NHL last season. You keep them together in the regular season until it stops paying dividends.

As a #2C Leon Draisaitl has not proven that he's capable to take on those high end matchups that RNH has. I can't see that changing next year either. So from that perspective RNH is a necessity for the foreseeable future.

Make no mistake if you trade Jordan Eberle tomorrow it's going to hurt you. There is no immediate straight across replacement for him. But in a deal like that you're replacing a chunk of that offense immediately and adding some significant potential. That's the type of deal I could get behind.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Are you kidding me? His line has been taking the non-stop tough minutes, and he's been mostly playing lights out two way hockey (while still getting quality chances). I have no beef whatsoever with his play so far. Same for Nuge.

Two-way hockey means being effective on both sides of the ice. You don't pay $6M for a player to be defensively responsible.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Chicago's paying one $10.5m.

You bet. And look where it got them. I can't see them winning another cup until his contract finishes or the cap goes up enough to compensate.
With all that said, I can stomach a defensively honest centerman a lot more than a winger for that price. I'd much rather Eberle gone than RNH.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->