Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Will the Supposed Veteran D That We're Targeting Please Stand Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Well, the entire team had the same offseason and there's only one player watching from the press-box.

This isn't always a death knell. Remember when Tkachuk came to Blues camp looking like jabba the hut and they suspended him? Dude still scored 27 goals that year.

Lol, Daddy Tkachuk was a legend.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Brandon Pirri on waivers. I would put a claim in for him.

I would pick up Pirri and waive Cagguila.

Why? Cagguila and Pirri had identical stats 2 seasons ago. Last year Drake scored 13 goals in the NHL, Pirri was in the AHL last year and couldn't crack a club again this year.

I'm all for improving on Cagguila, but Pirri is a step back and older at that. We have better options internally, and I'm sure better options externally that are cheap to acquire if we really want to go there.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
It would be tempting to pick up Smith and put together a package with Kass, Benning and a pick for a proper top 4 D man, if that's possible. Ceci is a good suggestion noted above plus something else coming back. Not sure if Ceci is much better than Benning though. Might be best to stay put. I don't like our goaltending backup though.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
It would be tempting to pick up Smith and put together a package with Kass, Benning and a pick for a proper top 4 D man, if that's possible. Ceci is a good suggestion noted above.
Benning is already better than Ceci. I would love to upgrade RHD for the second pair - but it is definitely not Ceci.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
> Remember when Tkachuk came to Blues camp looking like jabba the hut and they suspended him? Dude still scored 27 goals that year.

No he didn't.
He only played half the season and scored 15 goals.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It would be tempting to pick up Smith and put together a package with Kass, Benning and a pick for a proper top 4 D man, if that's possible. Ceci is a good suggestion noted above plus something else coming back. Not sure if Ceci is much better than Benning though. Might be best to stay put. I don't like our goaltending backup though.

Whoever you get for that 2RHD is only a placeholder for Bouchard. Honestly our RHD might be set for years with Larson, Bouchard, Bear and Benning.

Reactions: Seedling

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Why? Cagguila and Pirri had identical stats 2 seasons ago. Last year Drake scored 13 goals in the NHL, Pirri was in the AHL last year and couldn't crack a club again this year.

I'm all for improving on Cagguila, but Pirri is a step back and older at that. We have better options internally, and I'm sure better options externally that are cheap to acquire if we really want to go there.
Pirri is the better player. Over the last three seasons they've played almost the exact same amount of games (Pirri has played 4 less) and Pirri beats Caggiula in pretty much every ES stat, and didn't have the benefit of getting gifted playing time with McDavid.

Anything to get Caggiula out of the lineup is good imo.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm certainly not the biggest Caggiula fan.. but I don't know if the Oilers will be going in the direction of waiver pickups when they still have Chiasson/Aberg/McLeod in camp + players like Benson/Marody down in the AHL.

Not saying that all those players are definitely better than what might show up on the waiver wire... but those waiver wire players are not definitely clearly better either.

The team has 16 forwards in camp and at least a couple in the AHL that might get some time with the team this season as well so I think they probably have enough internal options that they'll focus on those instead of picking up yet another contract on waivers.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
For him, I wonder if it was "out of shape" or didn't have much offseason to train because of his condition post-playoffs. I'm more inclined to see that scenario, though it's not good
I really hope he's not that much overweight. Short off-season should result in less time for him to get fat. Players generally lose a bunch of weight throughout the year, so that should help him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pirri is the better player. Over the last three seasons they've played almost the exact same amount of games (Pirri has played 4 less) and Pirri beats Caggiula in pretty much every ES stat, and didn't have the benefit of getting gifted playing time with McDavid.

Pirri never even played in the NHL last year. No point to go after a guy that is always available and always on waivers. At best it's a wash and that's being generous.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

If he were the better player, he would have been in the NHL last season. He wouldn't have been cut again this season.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
atleast Corey Perry is out for 5 months :)

happy+sad.gif

awwww poor Corey. I feel so bad for him....

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
atleast Corey Perry is out for 5 months :)

I'm all for the Ducks doing worse, but I wonder how he recovers from this. He's already two seasons in to being a 18 goal guy and getting knee surgery at 33 will just slow him down even more.

Retirement by 36 is my guess.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm all for the Ducks doing worse, but I wonder how he recovers from this. He's already two seasons in to being a 18 goal guy and getting knee surgery at 33 will just slow him down even more.

Retirement by 36 is my guess.
Essentially the end of his contract? The team just can't afford him to lose yet another step while making 8.6mil

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
That's five months of LTIR. Not good for us. Perry was done anyways.

Similar to Sekera, it's only useful if they can work it. I mean, what are they going to do? Trade for Matt Duchene, at best? Kesler is hobbled, Perry was still probably about a 20-30-50 guy and they were wack at forward when healthy. If Gibson doesn't stand on his head, they miss the playoffs easy and they're unlikely to get .926 from their tandem again.

It will make it easier for them to get Richie done before the season I guess. That was always going to happen, though.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Similar to Sekera, it's only useful if they can work it. I mean, what are they going to do? Trade for Matt Duchene, at best? Kesler is hobbled, Perry was still probably about a 20-30-50 guy and they were wack at forward when healthy. If Gibson doesn't stand on his head, they miss the playoffs easy and they're unlikely to get .926 from their tandem again.

It will make it easier for them to get Richie done before the season I guess. That was always going to happen, though.
Unlike us ANA has internal cap, if insured this means ANA will have some more dollars to spend now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad