Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Will the Supposed Veteran D That We're Targeting Please Stand Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Getting closer to the end of training camp, it's become pretty apparent how unrealistic the offers for Faulk have been on here. We're offering two guys who most of us don't want in the starting lineup. Faulk has regularly been their leading Dman in terms of usage. With the Pesce injury, that isn't likely to change.

You’ve continuously overvalued Faulk on these boards.

And Faulk even with a Pesce injury will not be playing top minutes for them. Slavin is an absolute beauty (though LD) and Hamilton will always play ahead of Faulk. In fact by all reports Hamilton has been killing it for them. In two games he’s put up a couple points and 10 SOG.

Faulk will be on there bottom pair barring injury.

Reactions: VainGretzky

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well go ahead make an offer Mr GM. I just look at what San Jose did and got Karlsson. Faulk is NOT their leading Dman. I have seen it with my own 2 eyes.
Didn't realize Pesce is injured. I looked it up and no report.
Hockey Injury News and Analysis - Rotoworld.com

I was going by what was mentioned by Carolina posters on the main boards earlier in the off-season regarding Pesce's injury. It appears he's been in the lineup this pre-season.

As for cost, Karlsson's return has literally zero similarity to the Faulk situation. Faulk isn't an impending UFA, nor are they in any rush to move him.

You’ve continuously overvalued Faulk on these boards.

And Faulk even with a Pesce injury will not be playing top minutes for them. Slavin is an absolute beauty (though LD) and Hamilton will always play ahead of Faulk. In fact by all reports Hamilton has been killing it for them. In two games he’s put up a couple points and 10 SOG.

Faulk will be on there bottom pair barring injury.

The Carolina Hurricanes are likely going to be relying on their depth on defense to produce a fair amount of offense that their forwards are unlikely to produce this season, even considering a potential Faulk trade return. Adding more bottom six pieces likely holds little value to them considering their current organizational depth.

Their top PP unit is almost definitely going to have both Faulk and Hamilton on that top unit with one manning the left half-wall similar to how Nashville runs their top unit. With those multiple one-time options, they will have a very dangerous top unit PP.

The only reason the Canes would consider a less than favorable return for him would be due to a trade request which has yet to occur.

As Pierre Lebrun has stated recently....

“One guy that I like and I think eventually he’ll get moved is Justin Faulk,” noted LeBrun. “Now, he’s not a superstar, but he’s a talented top-four defenseman who’s still only 26 years old. He’s got one more year on his deal after this year at ($4.833 million).
“I was told this summer that to some degree Carolina and Toronto did talk about him, but it didn’t go anywhere. And that might just be that Kyle Dubas was calling around the league to start getting a foundation for what’s out there over the next 12 months, who knows. But I do know that there was at least a conversation about him. But he’d be the obvious - not the obvious fit, but an obvious fit in terms of being a right-handed, top-four guy.
“The question is what would Carolina want, and there’s a reason he hasn’t moved yet. Even though Carolina is really deep on defense and they’ve got more coming, they haven’t moved him I think because he’s at a premium. If you’re coming to get Justin Faulk, you’re going to have to probably pay a huge price. And maybe that’s not just something the Leafs are ready to do at this point.

Put yourself in their shoes. Why would you trade that defenseman for the pieces we're offering up today?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Still with speed, good age 30 , good contract Zack Smith would be nice right about now....Caggiulla has been absolutely useless thus far in preseason. Same can be said of Reider.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
31 Thoughts: Team owners played key role in Erik Karlsson trade - Sportsnet.ca
17. It’s September, everyone’s in great shape, in a great mood, optimistic about the season to come. But of all the comeback attempts, all of the players looking to resuscitate their careers, the one that grabs most is John McFarland’s.

Ten years ago, McFarland was the number one pick in the Ontario Hockey League, by Sudbury. Eight years ago, he was the 33rd selection in the big-league draft, by Florida. He was sent to the ECHL before he made the NHL, and the Panthers moved on after a three-game trial in 2015-16. He went to Finland and Switzerland, with his 2017-18 season ending in mid-November because of a right shoulder that needed surgery.
“It was a lingering thing,” McFarland said Sunday. “I’d gone (to Switzerland) knowing it wasn’t amazing. It needed to be reconstructed, from the collarbone to the shoulder itself.”
McFarland was back in the gym two weeks later, but wasn’t cleared for contact for five months. Meanwhile, his agent (Mark Guy) worked on finding new employment. There were overseas offers, but no real nibbles in North America. Then came a call from Edmonton’s assistant to the president of hockey operations, Bill Scott.
“They had some notes on me from the past, and I think he has a friend at the gym where I train. I’m very fortunate they called. Thankful. There were times after the surgery I worried I wasn’t going to get another job.” The Oilers signed McFarland to an AHL/ECHL contract. He was sent to AHL Bakersfield last week for the start of that training camp.
18. McFarland’s issue wasn’t behavioural (people say very good things about him), but he just wasn’t competitive enough to make the most of his skills. His brother, Paul, an assistant coach in Florida, is “a big part of my support system,” and the two worked hard to make sure John was prepared for this. “I had nerves at the start” of Edmonton’s camp, John said. “I tried to make myself realize I’ve been there before.”
Did the Oilers say much to you? “No,” he answered. “But I assume no news is good news. All I think about now is making Bakersfield. I’m more mature than I used to be, a better hockey IQ, I’ve learned little pieces from every coach that I had. I’m really excited to show what I am now.”

Someone to keep an eye on in Bakersfield this year. Though his resume isn't exactly flattering.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I don't think they've replaced their assistant GM who resigned after those harassment charges were laid. That'd be quite the spectacle to have no GM or assistant GM in Ottawa.

Its already quite a spectacle.

I can't imagine a teams outlook being any bleaker.

EDIT: Yikes.

I kinda hope that clown chokes on one of the quarters he's sold his soul to save.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Still with speed, good age 30 , good contract Zack Smith would be nice right about now....Caggiulla has been absolutely useless thus far in preseason. Same can be said of Reider.

??????

3.5 for a player who got 19 pts last year
Cags got 20 pts last year

For what Smith does his contract is not good

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Sekera, Kassian, Koskinen

for

Smith, Condon, Ceci

--

RNH - McD - Rattie
Lucic - Drai - Yamamoto
Khaira - Strome - JP
Rieder - Brodziak - Smith
Chiasson, Caggiula

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Ceci
Russell - Bouchard
Benning

Talbot
Condon

Last edited:
Reactions: Seedling

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Id be interested in Edler. Have to think Vancouver sells some player off eventually, that team isnt competing.
Not the same player he once was, but he has so much experience on an elite team, an average team and a bad team. A leader and proven vet who is a true 2-way dman. He would be great for Bouch, Bear and even Nurse and Klefbom.
Unfortunately for all those reasons I think Canucks brass would like to keep him

Upcoming UFA though so someone to keep an eye on

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Id be interested in Edler. Have to think Vancouver sells some player off eventually, that team isnt competing.
Not the same player he once was, but he has so much experience on an elite team, an average team and a bad team. A leader and proven vet who is a true 2-way dman. He would be great for Bouch, Bear and even Nurse and Klefbom.
Unfortunately for all those reasons I think Canucks brass would like to keep him

Upcoming UFA though so someone to keep an eye on

From what I read on the Canucks boards, he can't skate or shoot anymore.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The more appropriate question is why would we offer more than we are for him?

Guy is not a to 4 dman.
If you've read my posts on him throughout the off-season, I've said I wouldn't pay what it would realistically take to acquire him. Not because I don't believe he'd be a quality add, but because he's not a permanent fixture on the defense. In two years he walks, no questions asked. And I don't believe we're a competitive enough team today to spend those assets.

I don't care what people think he is. You're not getting him from Carolina for garbage. Nobody is.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Its already quite a spectacle.

I can't imagine a teams outlook being any bleaker.

EDIT: Yikes.

I kinda hope that clown chokes on one of the quarters he's sold his soul to save.

Why the hell did they waive Zack Smith? Will they even make the floor?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Faulk has regressed as well. Seen him play in Montreal last year and he didn't look the same. Maybe a change of scenery helps all parties. As it was said on this board, Carolina needs some tuffness. Caggiula was a highly sought after player after his NCAA career.
Hamilton, Slavin, Pesce have passed Faulk on the depth chart. Van Riemsdyk and Fleury are moving up as well. 2nd rounder I said as well
He had a bad start to the year. Second half he came around

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
31 Thoughts: Team owners played key role in Erik Karlsson trade - Sportsnet.ca

Someone to keep an eye on in Bakersfield this year. Though his resume isn't exactly flattering.
Posted that on the prospect thread I believe. Seems like a guy that thought he was good enough not to try and now realizes that isn't the case
I don't think they've replaced their assistant GM who resigned after those harassment charges were laid. That'd be quite the spectacle to have no GM or assistant GM in Ottawa.
They hired Peter MacTavish as one and are apparently hiring another one or two

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lol, wonder how long DSP lasts in Washington. Came into camp out of shape and has been benched all pre-season

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Lol, wonder how long DSP lasts in Washington. Came into camp out of shape and has been benched all pre-season
For him, I wonder if it was "out of shape" or didn't have much offseason to train because of his condition post-playoffs. I'm more inclined to see that scenario, though it's not good

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
For him, I wonder if it was "out of shape" or didn't have much offseason to train because of his condition post-playoffs. I'm more inclined to see that scenario, though it's not good

Well, the entire team had the same offseason and there's only one player watching from the press-box.

This isn't always a death knell. Remember when Tkachuk came to Blues camp looking like jabba the hut and they suspended him? Dude still scored 27 goals that year.

Reactions: Aerrol

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Well, the entire team had the same offseason and there's only one player watching from the press-box.

This isn't always a death knell. Remember when Tkachuk came to Blues camp looking like jabba the hut and they suspended him? Dude still scored 27 goals that year.
I do briefly remember that, I assume the Caps didn't do to DSP like was Tampa did to Dotkin for optics reasons. (He's probably also not in as bad a shape as Dotkin)

You're point is valid though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad