Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: What You See is What You Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Winnik is also floating out there. He’s had a couple pretty solid seasons recently. Skates well, good on the kill and can even score a bit.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It was. Skinner signed his two weeks before Hall (and three weeks before Eberle).
I'd actually go back a year to the Tavares signing. Tavares signed his 6 year $5.5M deal on Sept 14, 2011. This was two years into his ELC and was signed after he put up 29 goals and 67 points in 79 games. Hall and Eberle signed a year later. Eberle had 34 goals and 76 points in 78 games and Hall had 27 goals and 53 points in 61 games. Hall's deal was one year longer that Tavares' and Eberle's deal eat up one more UFA year. Skinner by comparison signed his deal for six years, one less than Hall and one less UFA year than Eberle after 20 goals and 44 points in 64 games. So the common theme that the Oilers were responsible for the increase in ELC's back then is basically false.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If the Sens are planning on rebuilding, a one year deal isn't the worse thing in the world. They should be able to get some really good pieces if/when they trade Stone and Karlsson.
Both will end up at center ice colliding ending each other's season.

I'd be willing to put money on that how things are going in Ottawa this year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'd actually go back a year to the Tavares signing. Tavares signed his 6 year $5.5M deal on Sept 14, 2011. This was two years into his ELC and was signed after he put up 29 goals and 67 points in 79 games. Hall and Eberle signed a year later. Eberle had 34 goals and 76 points in 78 games and Hall had 27 goals and 53 points in 61 games. Hall's deal was one year longer that Tavares' and Eberle's deal eat up one more UFA year. Skinner by comparison signed his deal for six years, one less than Hall and one less UFA year than Eberle after 20 goals and 44 points in 64 games. So the common theme that the Oilers were responsible for the increase in ELC's back then is basically false.
Tavares was also suppose to be a generational talent, so I don't know that I'd say the Isles locking him up would be the same as locking up a Skinner or Eberle

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Both will end up at center ice colliding ending each other's season.

I'd be willing to put money on that how things are going in Ottawa this year.

Oh I don't disagree that Ottawa is going to have a bad year. But if they play their cards right, they might be able to get some strong future pieces.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Tavares was also suppose to be a generational talent, so I don't know that I'd say the Isles locking him up would be the same as locking up a Skinner or Eberle

That's not really the point though. The issue was the incentive to give longer deals at higher dollars to ELC's. Tavares's deal was the first of a string of similar deals. Skinner's was the second. The deals for Hall and Eberle followed and were of a similar structure and amount. So you can debate which of the four was the best value but it would be wrong to say that the Oilers were the catalysts for the big money 2nd contacts. And in fact, the pending lockout also played a big role in the structure of the deals teams back then as well.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Id actually bet sens rebound somehow ala colorado.

The league wont let a team fail that hard unless its the oilers.

Now that the oilers did have the decade of darkness id put money on colin campbell, jacobs, mackenzie et al ensuring that it stays just yhe oilers.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
If the Sens are planning on rebuilding, a one year deal isn't the worse thing in the world. They should be able to get some really good pieces if/when they trade Stone and Karlsson.

If they plan on trading Stone, signing him to a one year deal actually is the worst thing for his trade value

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Now that the oilers did have the decade of darkness id put money on colin campbell, jacobs, mackenzie et al ensuring that it stays just yhe oilers.
If the league could rig it I think they would, but I don't think that goes on. When you think of it, the Sens are a team that could potentially lose Karlsson and be forced to hand over a 1st overall pick to Colorado, all in one season. They also have those issues with Hoffman, that made them lose him, only to see him back in their division with the Panthers, with Karlsson also likely ending up in their division on the Bolts. And they have arena issues and owner issues. By this time next year, we might be seeing a level of darkness with the Sens that we never saw here for the Oilers.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
If they plan on trading Stone, signing him to a one year deal actually is the worst thing for his trade value

I don't know that that's their plan as much as Melnyk constraints are going to make that an eventuality.

Sucks for them because they're looking at heading towards a deadline where they have to move Stone and Karlsson in a year where they don't want to tank and the players will have to be willing to re-sign with their new teams for the Sens to get value.

Melnyk has seriously f***ed that franchise and whenever he leaves won't be soon enough.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
If the league could rig it I think they would, but I don't think that goes on. When you think of it, the Sens are a team that could potentially lose Karlsson and be forced to hand over a 1st overall pick to Colorado, all in one season. They also have those issues with Hoffman, that made them lose him, only to see him back in their division with the Panthers, with Karlsson also likely ending up in their division on the Bolts. And they have arena issues and owner issues. By this time next year, we might be seeing a level of darkness with the Sens that we never saw here for the Oilers.

Unsealed NHL e-mails reveal plan to keep Canadian teams out of playoffs in 2016

Not that you dont see teams make it. But then look at some of the trades and fa movment..the oilers schedule.

I mean they must have a plan for growth. They have to. Id expect the pa does as well.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

aebb2fd2f4fe9966674249404e41cb05.jpg

Reactions: ManicTouch and A91

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
that link was concerning, but I think that is fake news. I'd need to see some more sources on that. I googled a bit and that article is the only one I could find is that one.

Holy shit you guys it's a goddamn April Fools joke!!! It's listed as HUMOUR.

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
lol okay, but it's a pretty crappy joke tbh, but good for me that I didn't believe it I guess

I actually did believe it....considering there were real emails with mackrnzie and campbell talking about knocking a players teeth out or something....

Thats what i was looking fer anyhoo...

campbellemail1.jpg

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Since there are new Faulk rumours I'll try some new armchair proposals.

Kassian, Caguila, 1st round pick top 10 protected for Faulk. Those two go for cap reasons and you sign a couple cheap forwards to round out the roster.

or Russell, 1st round pick top 10 protected for Faulk

Klefbom - Larsson

Sekera - Faulk

Nurse - Benning

I know some people don't like Faulk and would feel that's too much, Canes fans probably think it's too little but I wouldn't give much more for a 2nd pairing offensive d who struggles defensively.

Oilers might want to move Benning and bring in more of a defensive d to take the pk minutes if Russell is the one moved.

I don't think Chiarelli would do it but I think it would make the team better and give Bouchard and Bear time to develop.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Since there are new Faulk rumours I'll try some new armchair proposals.

Kassian, Caguila, 1st round pick top 10 protected for Faulk. Those two go for cap reasons and you sign a couple cheap forwards to round out the roster.

or Russell, 1st round pick top 10 protected for Faulk

Klefbom - Larsson

Sekera - Faulk

Nurse - Benning

I know some people don't like Faulk and would feel that's too much, Canes fans probably think it's too little but I wouldn't give much more for a 2nd pairing offensive d who struggles defensively.

Oilers might want to move Benning and bring in more of a defensive d to take the pk minutes if Russell is the one moved.

I don't think Chiarelli would do it but I think it would make the team better and give Bouchard and Bear time to develop.
Russell being moved makes some sense just because of the cap replacement. Ideally, we would gain cap space in the deal to re-sign Nurse with, and to maybe bring in other players. Carolina has the space so it's logical.

It just makes so much sense to get Faulk. I mean, not only do we need a Dman for the PP, but Sekera had tons of chemistry with him in Carolina. Plus, Carolina is in the other conference, so I'd think a western team has the advantage in dealing with them. It feels like destiny

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Can either of Stajan or Stempniak still play? Haven't kept up with them but earlier versions of both would fit on the team, especially Stempniak

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think Hansen signed in the KHL. I'm still hoping for Upshall.

Yeah I just noticed that one. Pity as he was the best defensive forward still on the market.

I'd like Brodziak to have a proper defensive linemate in the bottom 6. But none of Lucic, Kassian, Khaira, Caggiula, and Aberg fit that bill, and I'd bet Rieder will be stapled to Drai.

I'd have time for Winnik, Wingels, Stempniak, and maybe Chimera or Upshall; but not as eagerly.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I disagree. In a cap world, if they sign him to a one year deal they can trade him for prospects and picks without taking salary back.

They'll probably need salary coming back. With Karlsson, Duchene and now theoretically Stones salaries off the books next off-season the Sens are currently sitting $24M below the cap floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad