Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: What You See is What You Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Wow Are Ottawa guys intentionally trying to price themselves out of town?

Sure seems like it. I've said this already but man, the Drai contract is looking good faster than expected.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don’t recall bloated-like-a-blimp comments but I do remember people saying he’s overpaid by a million to 1.5 mill.

I was one of those people. I still believe this. What helped is that other GM’s are signing their star players coming off of ELC’s to even more ridiculous over pays. These players are using the Draisaitl contract as a comparison now. His contract has inflated the market but at least it’s other teams that are paying even more inflated prices now.

Reactions: Aerrol

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don’t recall bloated-like-a-blimp comments but I do remember people saying he’s overpaid by a million to 1.5 mill.

I don't think people realized that that was a decent price to pay for him to be far more underpaid by the end(or even middle) of that contract.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I was one of those people. I still believe this. What helped is that other GM’s are signing their star players coming off of ELC’s to even more ridiculous over pays. These players are using the Draisaitl contract as a comparison now. His contract has inflated the market but at least it’s other teams that are paying even more inflated prices now.
:facepalm: So Draisaitl's contract is ruining the NHL salary structure now? Wow.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
:facepalm: So Draisaitl's contract is ruining the NHL salary structure now? Wow.

His contract inflated other star players contracts coming off of ELC's, just like the Hall, Eberle, RNH contracts did. If Draisaitl signed for what he was worth, 7-7.5. Then players like Eichel and Matthews would be signing 8.5-9 deals instead of 10.5+.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think $7.5M would have been a big win for the Oilers for 8 years of Leon, but Chia is not a great negotiator. That said I still believe that the deal will be a plus for the team for most of its duration. The other thing that people need to remember is that when you sign a 22 year old for 8 years you should expect the deal is over present market value for at least the first 3 years. Otherwise it would be stupid for a player to sign it. A neutral deal should be an over pay for 3 years, market value for 2, and then a bargain for the last 3 years. My sense is that Leon will be market value at worst by the beginning of next year and will likely be a bargain by year 4.

It is often the case that people compare contracts by the present cap hit even though they were signed at different times and for different lengths. I like to look at the %-age of the (projected) cap at the midpoint of the deal. To do this I assume that the cap will rise by 5% yearly which is not so far off of the average over the last decade. Taking Leon's deal to the midpoint you would have an average between years 4 and 5 of about $89.9M which would put Leon at about 9.5% of the cap. That means that Leon's deal today would be comparable to that of someone who is mid term in their contract earning $7.5M.

Reactions: Digger12

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I still stand by the argument that having Ryan Nugent Hopkins at $6m as a direct comparable set the bar for Draisaitl's contract. Regardless of how shrewd a negotiator he was, that was always going to set the price for him.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Stone is worth 7.5

He's the lone bright star at forward in a sea of inconsistency and crap in Ottawa. Losing him isn't as bad as losing Karlsson, but it's enough to kill their scoring.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
His contract inflated other star players contracts coming off of ELC's, just like the Hall, Eberle, RNH contracts did. If Draisaitl signed for what he was worth, 7-7.5. Then players like Eichel and Matthews would be signing 8.5-9 deals instead of 10.5+.
So the Edmonton Oilers set the market for second and third NHL contracts around the league? Got it. The NHL pays little attention to our guys outside of Connor, who sets the bar for the elite considering he makes more than everyone else.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
I thought it was Jeff Skinner that started the big deals after a ELC.

Reactions: Del Preston

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I don't buy the whole buying a year of free agency on a guy that really isn't anything special at all.

It still makes a difference just like it makes a difference that Spooner is a better producer than Strome.

Whether you "buy it" or not these are still factors in contract negotiations.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'd easily do JP + for Mark Stone, then Lucic + Caleb Jones to Arizona for Panik.

RNH - McDavid - Stone
Panik - Drai - Rattie
Rieder - Strome - Yamamoto
Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
As we hit August, I wonder if we'll see a few bargain bin pickups.

I'd still have a lot of time for Hansen.

If you could add Brodziak, Rieder, and him to the roster, that'd be a hell of a fix for the team's defensive play.

RNH-McDavid-*Reward spot*
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Kassian
Khaira-Brodziak-Hansen

With Rattie, Caggiula, Aberg, and Yamamoto competing for that last spot.

Or as I like it...

RNH-McDavid-Strome
Lucic-Khaira-Kassian
Caggiula-Brodziak-Hansen

Yes, Khaira's unproven for the #3 centre, but he's just going to get the soft parade when it comes to match ups, and he has two experienced wingers to support him. Not the worst situation. If he ends up in over his head, then let Brodziak move up for a couple games.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
So the Edmonton Oilers set the market for second and third NHL contracts around the league? Got it. The NHL pays little attention to our guys outside of Connor, who sets the bar for the elite considering he makes more than everyone else.

Other GM's were pissed after the Hal/Eberle deals and how it changed the landscape for players coming off an ELC. Before that players were signed to bargain deals during their RFA years and got the big pay day for their UFA years. As for Draisaitl, just look at the deals signed a year later. His contract definelty changed the landscape for star players coming off an ELC. All I'm saying is that he's a 7 million dollar player at the time he signed his contract. Now that players will be singing bigger contracts with less or similar production his contract will start looking like a good deal.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
If Stone gets a one year deal isn’t he UFA next year? Ottawa is such a tire fire

If the Sens are planning on rebuilding, a one year deal isn't the worse thing in the world. They should be able to get some really good pieces if/when they trade Stone and Karlsson.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
As we hit August, I wonder if we'll see a few bargain bin pickups.

I'd still have a lot of time for Hansen.

If you could add Brodziak, Rieder, and him to the roster, that'd be a hell of a fix for the team's defensive play.

RNH-McDavid-*Reward spot*
Lucic-Strome-Kassian
Khaira-Brodziak-Hansen

With Rattie, Caggiula, Aberg, and Yamamoto competing for that last spot.

Or as I like it...

RNH-McDavid-Strome
Lucic-Khaira-Kassian
Caggiula-Brodziak-Hansen

Yes, Khaira's unproven for the #3 centre, but he's just going to get the soft parade when it comes to match ups, and he has two experienced wingers to support him. Not the worst situation. If he ends up in over his head, then let Brodziak move up for a couple games.

I think Hansen signed in the KHL. I'm still hoping for Upshall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad