Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: What You See is What You Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Surprised Jersey didn't offer Maroon anything. They are desperate for forwards and had nothing in the works as far as I've heard.

Something smells with this one. No way he didn't get an offer in this market. Most had him pegged as getting 3 x 3 at the worst.

Add to this that Chia said that we literally got 1 offer for him at the TD and maybe we overvalued him just based on how poor Lucic has been for us? If Patty has this low of value, how low must Lucic's be with his contract in tow? :help:

May of had a staying reputation from his time in Anaheim, there was a reason they got rid of him in a hurry. One too many extra-circular activities outside of hockey ;)

Possible. His skating took a hit last year as well, likely due to his back.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Add to this that Chia said that we literally got 1 offer for him at the TD and maybe we overvalued him just based on how poor Lucic has been for us? If Patty has this low of value, how low must Lucic's be with his contract in tow? :help:

Possible. His skating took a hit last year as well, likely due to his back.

Lucic, in every year but this year, is a significantly better player.

But Maroons play with McDavid, Nuge, and on NJ was very good. Really don't think his lack of nhl offers has anything to do with his play.

Injury? Locker room? Bad agent? Who knows but his play absolutely warranted more than he got.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I saw this one is closed now but it was Pacioretty for a 1st, 2nd and a 2nd if he re-signed.

That ones a tough one for me because I think I'd do it if I was sure the Oilers would make the playoffs and had a good chance to re-sign him.

It would require moving some money after signing Nurse but that should only require 2-3 million freed up at most.

The hard part is are they going to free up enough money to sign him/is he going to be interested in signing and signing a realistic deal. On that front it seems unlikely.

I'm guessing he wants at least an E Kane deal and probably more but 7x7 seems like a lot for a guy who's 30 in November and coming off a brutal season and you probably don't want to wait to sign him when his value has been pumped up by playing with Draisaitl.

A top 6 of:

RNH - McDavid - Yamamoto

Pacioretty - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi

Would look pretty sweet.

Short version: would you trade a 1st and 2 2nds for Pacioretty if he was re-signing at roughly 7 x 7?

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
I saw this one is closed now but it was Pacioretty for a 1st, 2nd and a 2nd if he re-signed.

That ones a tough one for me because I think I'd do it if I was sure the Oilers would make the playoffs and had a good chance to re-sign him.

It would require moving some money after signing Nurse but that should only require 2-3 million freed up at most.

The hard part is are they going to free up enough money to sign him/is he going to be interested in signing and signing a realistic deal. On that front it seems unlikely.

I'm guessing he wants at least an E Kane deal and probably more but 7x7 seems like a lot for a guy who's 30 in November and coming off a brutal season and you probably don't want to wait to sign him when his value has been pumped up by playing with Draisaitl.

A top 6 of:

RNH - McDavid - Yamamoto

Pacioretty - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi

Would look pretty sweet.

Short version: would you trade a 1st and 2 2nds for Pacioretty if he was re-signing at roughly 7 x 7?

If Lucic was off the books, i'd consider it heavily.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Dumba gets 6M/year x 5 years.

I'll be honest - if Trouba gets anything over 6M, we're in some trouble with Nurse. It will start with 5 unless you bridge him.

Reactions: 780il

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I'll be honest - if Trouba gets anything over 6M, we're in some trouble with Nurse. It will start with 5 unless you bridge him.

I've never liked Dumba. Watched him lots in junior. I am shocked he has done this well. But he is a fairly accomplished nhl right shooting offensive defenseman now. Significant improvement in each of his last 3 years. 14 goals and 50 points is an incredible achievement.

Him and Trouba are both currently considered significantly better. Those contracts should have little bearing on Nurses. While possible I don't really see it likely Nurse will ever get 50 points. Unless McDavid spoon feeds him points.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I think Nurses agent made it clear it would be bridge deal regardless. The Nurse camp is betting on him exploding the in the next season or so.

Saw the 5M or whatever left and figured worth more than that long term.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I'd say Dumba's deal favours the Oilers. Dumba got $2.5M x 2 as a bridge coming off of a season that was about the same as Nurse last year. This contract is $6M after a 14 goals 50 point season. Like it or not points are a big factor even for defensemen in determining who gets the big dollars.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'd say Dumba's deal favours the Oilers. Dumba got $2.5M x 2 as a bridge coming off of a season that was about the same as Nurse last year. This contract is $6M after a 14 goals 50 point season. Like it or not points are a big factor even for defensemen in determining who gets the big dollars.
You’re obviously right points are a big factor. But by suggesting the year nurse just had is about the same as the one dumba had in the final year of his elc suggests that it’s the only thing that is a factor. And that’s obviously not true.

Sure they both had 26 points. But with even just a tiny bit of context you can see how wildly different their years were. Dumba put up 26 points, half of them on the PP where he was playing 2 minutes per game. He was averaging less than 17 minutes per game.

Nurse played almost 3 minutes per game at ES than dumba played total. 5 minutes more per game total. And that’s with almost no PP time and all of his points were at ES.

You of course know all of this because you’re probably the smartest poster on here. But unless you’ve got something else to suggest their seasons were almost the same beyond points, and only points, it seems like a big stretch to me. Am I looking at the wrong year or something? This doesn’t even take into account shot metrics, zone starts, who they played against etc. Can’t help but imagine all of those are largely in nurses favour

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

But Maroons play with McDavid, Nuge, and on NJ was very good. Really don't think his lack of nhl offers has anything to do with his play.

Injury? Locker room? Bad agent? Who knows but his play absolutely warranted more than he got.

I think he had a significant back/neck injury iirc

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
At what dollar figure do we start looking at a Nurse for Nylander or Stone swap? If Nurse is wanting 5M+ I think it's a no brainer and wouldnt be surprised if Chiarelli is working on a deal.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Draisaitl's deal didn't happen until late in the summer, right? These are the slow days of summer. Guys are on vacation and taking it easy. Sounds weird when you say that about multi-million dollar negotiations, but it's generally true.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

I don't know that they really make a big difference to Nurse.

This is his second contract and the third for both of those players with them being closer to free agency.

You also have to consider that Trouba and Dumba are >>>> Nurse

Nurse and Dumba both have warts defensively but Dumba just barely missed doubling Nurse in terms of production.

Trouba doesn't out produce Darnell to the same degree as Dumba but is the better producer and significantly better defender.

Nurse is closer to Pulock and Stecher than he is to Dumba or Trouba.

To the other point I don't think Nurse gets you a Nylander or a Stone. Unless you wanted Alex Nylander ++

Reactions: Mr Positive

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Keep in mind offers and interest are two very different things now. Did teams walk away after finding out he wanted a long term deal at big money?

Reactions: Aerchon

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
At what dollar figure do we start looking at a Nurse for Nylander or Stone swap? If Nurse is wanting 5M+ I think it's a no brainer and wouldnt be surprised if Chiarelli is working on a deal.
That's why you bridge him and deal him next year if his game doesn't improve.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You’re obviously right points are a big factor. But by suggesting the year nurse just had is about the same as the one dumba had in the final year of his elc suggests that it’s the only thing that is a factor. And that’s obviously not true.

Sure they both had 26 points. But with even just a tiny bit of context you can see how wildly different their years were. Dumba put up 26 points, half of them on the PP where he was playing 2 minutes per game. He was averaging less than 17 minutes per game.

Nurse played almost 3 minutes per game at ES than dumba played total. 5 minutes more per game total. And that’s with almost no PP time and all of his points were at ES.

You of course know all of this because you’re probably the smartest poster on here. But unless you’ve got something else to suggest their seasons were almost the same beyond points, and only points, it seems like a big stretch to me. Am I looking at the wrong year or something? This doesn’t even take into account shot metrics, zone starts, who they played against etc. Can’t help but imagine all of those are largely in nurses favour
Actually I agree with you. But one needs to remember that the players are quite different. Dumba was drafted for his potential offensively and for his aggressiveness rather than his defensive prowess. In that season he actually confirmed that his offensive prowess was going to translate at the NHL level which was the big question mark for him at the time. So while his all round game may not have been as good as Nurse this year I think based on the type of player he is that his trajectory would be at least comparable which is probably the key for a second contract.

Nurse may have a hard time increasing his point totals if he does not get pp time and if Sekera and Klefbom are healthy. So for him to move forward he likely has to become more consistent defensively. Unfortunately that is not what gets you the big money. It's also the case that Dumba's two year deal was at $2.5M. I've said a few times that I expect Nurse to get a bridge in the $3-3.5M range which at the very least compensates for Nurse's better two way season. Going forward however, I would not be the least bit surprised if Nurse's numbers plateau over the course of a two year bridge.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I saw something about a mysterious gif that was posted when his account was hacked? He seems to roll with two twitter accounts, one for hockey, one for journalism?
I'm not sure what happened, I saw Marc Majeau said a few things about it. Staples doesn't seem to be liked by other media members.

Edit:

Last edited:

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

Lucic + 2019 1st + 2019 2nd + 2020 2nd

2019 draft: Our 3rd. NYI 3rd, Our 4th, 6th, 7th (Missing 1st, 2nd, 5th)
2020 draft: Our 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th (Missing 2nd and 7th)

Having the extra 3rd in 2019 helps but not having a pick in the first two rounds is not ideal in any way. Especially with our excellent (hopefully) drafting lately.

That being said, If this was the final offer I would have to do it.
A scorer like Patches is a huge need on this team. Without the pressure of being the captain of the Montreal Canadiens I could see him really thrive here on a 2nd line with Draisaitl and especially on the topline with McDavid.

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I'm not sure what happened, I saw Marc Majeau said a few things about it. Staples doesn't seem to be liked by other media members.

I'm guessing it's because the bulk of his job is listening to other media members on the radio and writing articles about it rather then coming up with his own content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad