Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: We Have a Lot of Bottom 6 Forwards Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
11:59 (EST) = the roster freeze. Sportsnet has been suggesting a slew of moves for the past 3 weeks. What's the over/under on nothing happening at all, and instead of deals we see 20 new articles about how cool Toronto is.

We'll probably find out if Matthews prefers turkey stuffing cooked on the side or inside the turkey.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
You’re entitled to your opinion as am I. Oh wait, you offered no opinion
How is him disagreeing with your evaluation of Nuge not an opinion? More over he said it was laughable which I would think would be a strong disagreement with your opinion.

Messrules11 said:
Do we really need Nuge though? I mean he gets all this credit for 2-way play but I think it’s a mirage. He doesn’t hit, is still bad on face-offs, doesn’t drive a line or know how to take a slap shot, all this after 8 years in the league? He’s soft and shows no passion IMO. Nobody is taking Lucic’s contract, let’s face it so to add a sniper and the hefty contract that goes with it Nuge seems like the logical choice. Next year we might have McLeod at center as well and he’s not a bottom 6 type of player
Do we really need Nuge? I'd say definitively, yes we do. He is without a shadow of doubt the 3rd best forward on the team and we are in short supply of quality forwards.
Is his 2-way play a mirage? I'd say no, at times overstated a bit in his career, but every coach that's ever had him has heralded his 2-way play (which seems to be only improving with time), I'm guessing they know a bit more about hockey than you and to my eye his positioning is generally quite good and he is great at being in passing lanes.
Does he hit? Not a lot, but does it matter? The game today is predicated on possession and he is quite good at takeaways, he separates players from pucks with good positioning and a good stick, Lucic for example hits a ton, but is often just laying into guys after the puck is long gone and a change in puck possession doesn't occur. Also if you've noticed centers tend to not hit as much cause they don't want to get tied up with someone behind the play and thereby be out of position defensively.
Is he bad at faceoffs? Undoubtedly yes, but, it is one of the most overrated stats largely cause of talking heads needing something to chat about during breaks in play.
Doesn't drive a line? Um, our 2nd line is still producing and the quality of his linemates leaves a lot to be desired relative to what most 2nd line centers have to work with.
Is he soft and does he show no passion? IMO no NHL player who plays as much as him and who misses so little time is soft, clearly he has incurred and played through injuries at multiple points in his career, in terms of passion he is a quiet humble guy and keeps his emotions close to the vest, just cause he's a bit introverted does not mean he doesn't care. People who actually know him have spoken to how passionate he actually is and how much he cares, although some with an old school mentality would prefer he do pointless shit like slam the bench door and slam his stick against the glass for no reason.
Nobody is taking Lucic's contract? If David Clarkson is moveable just about anyone is, it will take some doing, it may require taking another bad contract back, retaining money, or simply sitting on Lucic's contract for a while longer till there is less term on it. I'm very doubtful Lucic will play out his full contract here, no doubt though moving Lucic's deal will be incredibly hard and will likely require some incentive in the way of futures to help us move that.

As to talking about Nuge for Tarasenko, I don't see that as being a realistic possibility, so I'll refrain from discussing it. With respect to McLeod I'd prefer not to count our chickens before they hatch, many a player has impressed in camp in one pre-season and failed to build on it the following pre-season, we should plan around him not cracking the roster and be pleasantly surprised if he is good enough to make the jump.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
How is him disagreeing with your evaluation of Nuge not an opinion? More over he said it was laughable which I would think would be a strong disagreement with your opinion.

Do we really need Nuge? I'd say definitively, yes we do. He is without a shadow of doubt the 3rd best forward on the team and we are in short supply of quality forwards.
Is his 2-way play a mirage? I'd say no, at times overstated a bit in his career, but every coach that's ever had him has heralded his 2-way play (which seems to be only improving with time), I'm guessing they know a bit more about hockey than you and to my eye his positioning is generally quite good and he is great at being in passing lanes.
Does he hit? Not a lot, but does it matter? The game today is predicated on possession and he is quite good at takeaways, he separates players from pucks with good positioning and a good stick, Lucic for example hits a ton, but is often just laying into guys after the puck is long gone and a change in puck possession doesn't occur. Also if you've noticed centers tend to not hit as much cause they don't want to get tied up with someone behind the play and thereby be out of position defensively.
Is he bad at faceoffs? Undoubtedly yes, but, it is one of the most overrated stats largely cause of talking heads needing something to chat about during breaks in play.
Doesn't drive a line? Um, our 2nd line is still producing and the quality of his linemates leaves a lot to be desired relative to what most 2nd line centers have to work with.
Is he soft and does he show no passion? IMO no NHL player who plays as much as him and who misses so little time is soft, clearly he has incurred and played through injuries at multiple points in his career, in terms of passion he is a quiet humble guy and keeps his emotions close to the vest, just cause he's a bit introverted does not mean he doesn't care. People who actually know him have spoken to how passionate he actually is and how much he cares, although some with an old school mentality would prefer he do pointless **** like slam the bench door and slam his stick against the glass for no reason.
Nobody is taking Lucic's contract? If David Clarkson is moveable just about anyone is, it will take some doing, it may require taking another bad contract back, retaining money, or simply sitting on Lucic's contract for a while longer till there is less term on it. I'm very doubtful Lucic will play out his full contract here, no doubt though moving Lucic's deal will be incredibly hard and will likely require some incentive in the way of futures to help us move that.

As to talking about Nuge for Tarasenko, I don't see that as being a realistic possibility, so I'll refrain from discussing it. With respect to McLeod I'd prefer not to count our chickens before they hatch, many a player has impressed in camp in one pre-season and failed to build on it the following pre-season, we should plan around him not cracking the roster and be pleasantly surprised if he is good enough to make the jump.
Definitley some good points. I’m really not bashing this player, I just get frustrated with his play at times as others get frustrated with other players-Luc, Talbs, Drai. That being said, everyone gets traded eventually and his value hasn’t been this high since he was drafted

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

North

Jun 25, 2009
They traded him for Nathan Horton who was a long term IR case making similar money, Columbus could sort of make use of Clarkson, Horton was just done (unfortunately for him)

Horton’s contract wasn’t insured which made it less palatable for Columbus to keep paying.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Definitley some good points. I’m really not bashing this player, I just get frustrated with his play at times as others get frustrated with other players-Luc, Talbs, Drai. That being said, everyone gets traded eventually and his value hasn’t been this high since he was drafted
People get frustrated with talbot and lucic because they suck this year. Nuge is playing well. Though you are right his trade value has never been higher.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Horton’s contract wasn’t insured which made it less palatable for Columbus to keep paying.
That must have been because of the issue that ended up befalling him afterward.

And that would make sense, where as the Leafs just would not care at all

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Oh ****. Yuck.

Same term.
$2.75 million less per year.
Same number of goals.
One more point.
No No Movement Clause.
No bonuses moving forward.
Infinitely easier to trade or buyout in the future.

Lucic for Johnson would be a huge win. I have no idea why Pens would do it though.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Same term.
$2.75 million less per year.
Same number of goals.
One more point.
No No Movement Clause.
No bonuses moving forward.
Infinitely easier to trade or buyout in the future.

Lucic for Johnson would be a huge win. I have no idea why Pens would do it though.
Yah haha not a chance pens do that trade .

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Agreed. If nothing else he’s a vast upgrade on Spooner and Hitch loves him.
The Buffalo thing raises a bit of a red flag though. You have to wonder what happened there.

Has he gone through waivers yet? Wondering what he and his agent are going to do (file a grievance, etc) once Buffalo terminates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->