Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Spector: Kassian Extension Before Trade Deadline? Anything Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I was not aware that you were in on Tippet's game planning for your own narrative. Maybe Nurse is with Bear because Tippet does not trust Klefbom with a rookie? Again though that is using my own narrative to make an argument, and it makes us both look bad.

I tried to drop this earlier but you cannot let it go for some reason. Calling Nurse "my boy" really shows your lack of understanding. They play for the Oilers so they are both our "boys".

I am not talking about fights, scrums, when someone gets in that extra jab on Smith, are you really gonna be scared of klefbom? No because that is not his skill set. We have more D with Klef's skill set then we do Nurse's.

I'm pretty sure that's it. Klefbom makes the worst pinches, and would leave Bear fending for himself.
Klefbom is not the type of D partner you give to a rookie.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
There’s going to be a logjam if Bouchard is deemed ready... have to pay Nurse and at the very least qualify Benning - can’t let him walk even with a few flaws. Personally I like him at 5/6. I don’t get all the hate for Russell, Benning and especially Nurse.. there’s no Nurse equivalent in the pipeline ready, nor can we afford or be able to attract the UFA equivalent... be happy with what we’ve got and plan to move one for a reasonable asset.

Russell & Pulju Or a 2nd for Kreider? Include 2nd if he signs? Kreider would be unreal with McDavid....

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019
There’s going to be a logjam if Bouchard is deemed ready... have to pay Nurse and at the very least qualify Benning - can’t let him walk even with a few flaws. Personally I like him at 5/6. I don’t get all the hate for Russell, Benning and especially Nurse.. there’s no Nurse equivalent in the pipeline ready, nor can we afford or be able to attract the UFA equivalent... be happy with what we’ve got and plan to move one for a reasonable asset.

Russell & Pulju Or a 2nd for Kreider? Include 2nd if he signs? Kreider would be unreal with McDavid....

Kreider wants nothing to do with Canada.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I'm pretty sure that's it. Klefbom makes the worst pinches, and would leave Bear fending for himself.
Klefbom is not the type of D partner you give to a rookie.
Persson was not a rookie?

Klefbom has played some really good hockey when having to take more defensive responsibility. Schultz comes to mind.

Reactions: ujju2

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The modified NTC does limit things a little but reality often over rides such things. If it is clear that next year Russell will be the team's #7 defenseman and perhaps at risk of being waived and sent to BAK, do you think he would turn down a deal to a team like Ottawa where he would play big minutes in hopes of getting one more decent contract. Family might prevent it. But I doubt that as a pure hockey move he'd turn it down. And if the Oilers waived him his NTC would not actually prevent the Sens from claiming him. Russell at $1M in real salary is a pretty good deal for a team like the Sens.

Even a team like Toronto could use Russell. A three way deal through Ottawa could certainly work. The Oilers flip Russel with $1M retained to Ottawa for a pick. Ottawa then trades him to TO with 50% retained for a better asset. Ottawa gets $1.5M against the cap for $375K as well as an upgraded pick and the Buds get a veteran defensive defenseman who can play either side in their bottom pairing for $1.5M. Russell at $1.5M on the cap is actually a very good deal for a team that will have a hard time filling out its backend next year.

I suspect that out of respect for the player the Oilers will work with Russell. But if they need the cap space Russell really holds very few cards.

Unfortunately, I think he has a NMC that goes along with the 10/15 team trade list, so there's no threat to waive him.

Kris Russell - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
I wouldn’t have if you didn’t start your usual schtick of playing up Nurse as more than he is.

Bear has been excellent all year long. He’s easily our best RHD, and it’s no accident he’s with Nurse, who needs him a lot more than Klefbom does.

Nurse has one fight this year. It’s a miniscule and unimportant part of today’s game.

And, speaking of “not so great” 5 on 5, it’s interesting to me that your boy bleeds high danger chances against. Have you ever looked at Nurse’s defensive metrics? They leave a lot to be desired, and always have.

theres no point bud, these guys dont get it at all.

To be clear you aren't allowed to say anything bad about Nurse or u get called racist like Raab, or they decide to make a different thread for you to post in, but people are allowed to say anything about Klef and there is no "punishment" at all.

Nurse is a great skater, awful passer, bad decision maker but still useful in his physical game. He is a number 4 and theres nothing wrong with that but i dont see the point in thinking hes way more than he is. Not on Klefs level.

Reactions: Anarchism

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I think we are less then a year. He will be on the roster by either the end of this season(injuries would be the factor here) or begining of next(the kid is that good at moving the puck).

Yeah but unless he makes major improvements in his D I don't see him stepping in to eat Larsson's minutes anytime soon. I have more confidence in Bear sliding up the roster at this point.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Yeah but unless he makes major improvements in his D I don't see him stepping in to eat Larsson's minutes anytime soon. I have more confidence in Bear sliding up the roster at this point.
Bear is already a 20+ minute a night defender. Not quite sure how much more he can slide up as the Nurse/Bear duo play as much as the Klef/Lars duo.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
theres no point bud, these guys dont get it at all.

To be clear you aren't allowed to say anything bad about Nurse or u get called racist like Raab, or they decide to make a different thread for you to post in, but people are allowed to say anything about Klef and there is no "punishment" at all.

Nurse is a great skater, awful passer, bad decision maker but still useful in his physical game. He is a number 4 and theres nothing wrong with that but i dont see the point in thinking hes way more than he is. Not on Klefs level.

Right because I have gotten away saying Nurse is better then Klefbom and nobody came to Klefs aid and ripped me apart for it.

Reality is is that we need both of them. Again I prefer Nurse because of his skating and toughness. There offensive games are not that far apart, Klefbom has a way more accurate shot though(he should use it more IMO) which is more important then Nurse being able to shoot it faster. I think they both make horrible decisions on when to pinch but Nurse can recover quicker when he does this. Klefbom more often then not is in a better position defensivly whereas Nurse is the guy you want if someone is taking liberties with your goalie.

The best of all worlds would be if one of them was a RHD because it would make for a good 1 - 2 pairing.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

We don't have to qualify Benning if Jones doesn't sink rest of the year.

we could start next season with Russell-Jones as 3rd pairing if Bouchard isn't ready.

We just need Larsson to pull his weight and play like a top 4 Dman.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Not sure if posted, if so please disregard:

https://www.tsn.ca/countdown-to-tra...-teams-with-the-deadline-month-away-1.1432198

The Oilers are on pace to make the playoffs for just the second time in the past 14 years and LeBrun believes general manager Ken Holland would like to add a top-six winger to help his team get there. He reports Senators centre Jean-Gabriel Pageau is high on Edmonton's wish-list, while players with term the team could include Tomas Tatar of the Canadiens and Maple Leafs wingers Kapanen and Andreas Johnsson. LeBrun adds that Holland is at least open to taking calls on restricted free agent Jesse Puljujarvi, who is eligible to return to the NHL next season.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Right because I have gotten away saying Nurse is better then Klefbom and nobody came to Klefs aid and ripped me apart for it.

Reality is is that we need both of them. Again I prefer Nurse because of his skating and toughness. There offensive games are not that far apart, Klefbom has a way more accurate shot though(he should use it more IMO) which is more important then Nurse being able to shoot it faster. I think they both make horrible decisions on when to pinch but Nurse can recover quicker when he does this. Klefbom more often then not is in a better position defensivly whereas Nurse is the guy you want if someone is taking liberties with your goalie.

The best of all worlds would be if one of them was a RHD because it would make for a good 1 - 2 pairing.

That's a pretty fair assessment, but just to add that if both guys are actually in the D-zone without the puck, I have 100% more confidence in Klef to be in the right position and give our D some structure. Nurse is a puck-watcher and worse, a puck-chaser who too easily gets pulled into no man's land while a guy sneaks into the slot.

But I agree, the truculence has value as long as he's there.

Reactions: AT14C

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Bear is already a 20+ minute a night defender. Not quite sure how much more he can slide up as the Nurse/Bear duo play as much as the Klef/Lars duo.

Do you think Bouchard will be ready for 20 minutes a night in the NHL next year? I don't.

Reactions: ujju2

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Do you think Bouchard will be ready for 20 minutes a night in the NHL next year? I don't.
This same time last year did you think Bear would be? Bouchard is a way better player then Bear was at the same age(Bear has worked his butt off), and has more upside. Not that I want to bury him as I do think there is something to taking your time with prospects. He moves the puck incredibly well, this kid will be our best defensman and it will happen very soon.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
We don't have to qualify Benning if Jones doesn't sink rest of the year.

we could start next season with Russell-Jones as 3rd pairing if Bouchard isn't ready.

We just need Larsson to pull his weight and play like a top 4 Dman.
Ugh ship Russell out ASAP, and put Benning back in, he is way more stable then Russell and half the price. I like the shot blocking from Russell but that is all he brins to the table.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
That's a pretty fair assessment, but just to add that if both guys are actually in the D-zone without the puck, I have 100% more confidence in Klef to be in the right position and give our D some structure. Nurse is a puck-watcher and worse, a puck-chaser who too easily gets pulled into no man's land while a guy sneaks into the slot.

But I agree, the truculence has value as long as he's there.

Truculence and durability. I know injuries are not the players fault and I have been frustrated for Klefbom since we drafted him. He is just not a guy you can rely on long term to be in the line up and that sucks because when a 20+ minute a night defender goes down on any team it hurts, and it hurts us more because up until this year we only had a couple of these guys that could move the puck and play those minutes(Nurse/Klef).

End of the day really it comes down to this for me: Klefbom plays a cerebral game, Nurse plays with emotion. I prefer emotion as I love players with passion, others like players that play the game like a chess match. No choice is really correct at this point, just personal preference.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
20/21 season:
Klefbom-Bear
Nure-Larsson
Jones-Bouchard
Benning

If Bouchard can play a top four role, I would trade Larsson for a top six winger.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
This same time last year did you think Bear would be? Bouchard is a way better player then Bear was at the same age(Bear has worked his butt off), and has more upside. Not that I want to bury him as I do think there is something to taking your time with prospects. He moves the puck incredibly well, this kid will be our best defensman and it will happen very soon.

I think there's a good chance Bouchard makes the team next season, but I don't think throwing him into a top 4 role without a backup plan is a good idea.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I think there's a good chance Bouchard makes the team next season, but I don't think throwing him into a top 4 role without a backup plan is a good idea.
The backup plan is the Nurse/Bear pairing(and yes it is a gamble), a person could keep Larrson and ship out Benning and Russell and go something like this:

Nurse/Bear
Klef/Bouchard(this duo excites me)
Jones/Larrson(I would perfer to keep Benning here as he is cheap and very good in this role)

Either way time will tell but watch Bouchard play in the AHL and I know that it is lesser comp but just by watching it looks like he is already our best passer from the back end in the organization.

The other option I could see if he is ready but not top four ready is to either leave him in the A for one more year(not against that if he is not ready) or move Russell and go with this:
Klef/Larsson
Nurse/Bear
Bouchard/Benning
And give Bouchard Klefbom's PP time.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
20/21 season:
Klefbom-Bear
Nure-Larsson
Jones-Bouchard
Benning

If Bouchard can play a top four role, I would trade Larsson for a top six winger.
But we need Bouchard to be able to play a top 4 role for more than a few games. If he can handle it all of next season, then you can move on from Larsson after that

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wouldn’t have if you didn’t start your usual schtick of playing up Nurse as more than he is.

Bear has been excellent all year long. He’s easily our best RHD, and it’s no accident he’s with Nurse, who needs him a lot more than Klefbom does.

Nurse has one fight this year. It’s a miniscule and unimportant part of today’s game.

And, speaking of “not so great” 5 on 5, it’s interesting to me that your boy bleeds high danger chances against. Have you ever looked at Nurse’s defensive metrics? They leave a lot to be desired, and always have.

Despite them giving up more chances(one HDCF more over ~3 games), they create more chances and out-chance the opposition at a greater percentage. I really don't think it should be a controversial opinion to say Nurse/Bear have been better 5v5 players than Klef.

Klef has always been a low event guy. There's nothing wrong with that, but you won't see him making risky plays that drive offense like Nurse or Bear. That's why I've never bought into the #1D stuff. He's more of a steadying presence than a guy who impacts the game at 5v5.

Anyways, I hope the "Nurse is expendable if he wants a little bit too much money" narrative dies because this team needs both Nurse and Klefbom in the worst way.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Despite them giving up more chances(one HDCF more over ~3 games), they create more chances and out-chance the opposition at a greater percentage. I really don't think it should be a controversial opinion to say Nurse/Bear have been better 5v5 players than Klef.

Klef has always been a low event guy. There's nothing wrong with that, but you won't see him making risky plays that drive offense like Nurse or Bear. That's why I've never bought into the #1D stuff. He's more of a steadying presence than a guy who impacts the game at 5v5.

Anyways, I hope the "Nurse is expendable if he wants a little bit too much money" narrative dies because this team needs both Nurse and Klefbom in the worst way.
Oh 100% don't see Nurse as expendable just if he prices himself out of here, it would be worth exploring what we could get. None of this just move him but if we can get a legit good hockey trade or an overpay for him, it may be worth thinking about. Ideally you keep him cause our defense can't take any hits but if the money is too high, gotta explore the options.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019

And to add to that, Nurse is gonna get paid what the market dictates. The cap is going up so salaries will as well. Kassian is a prime example. His contract likely lands between 3 - 4 million. Is Kassian a 4 million dollar player? No but inflation will make him that(side now we paid Ben Eager 3.5 million and Kassian is a way better player).

We need both until the next wave is ready and even then we will need them while the new wave finds their footing.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Oh 100% don't see Nurse as expendable just if he prices himself out of here, it would be worth exploring what we could get. None of this just move him but if we can get a legit good hockey trade or an overpay for him, it may be worth thinking about. Ideally you keep him cause our defense can't take any hits but if the money is too high, gotta explore the options.

Losing Nurse to a hockey trade now puts one of Jones, Russell or someone else that is not ready for top four 20 minute a night hockey while putting Bear in way over his head(I think it might ruin Bear's confidence TBH).
Once others like Sammy, Broberg ect are ready then I believe we can think of moving Nurse or Klefbom.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
20/21 season:
Klefbom-Bear
Nure-Larsson
Jones-Bouchard
Benning

Need to keep Nurse/Bear together and Lars/Klef. It balances out the physical play big time. I would be pretty iffy on playing essentially two rookies together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad