Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Spector: Kassian Extension Before Trade Deadline? Anything Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Klefbom gets the worse partner and rookies, more PK time, allows less chances against and the team falls to pieces without him, and Nurse gets the equivalent of one more 5 on 5 shift a game.

Klef is better. Yes, we need both right now, but we could more easily replace Nurse.

Did we know for sure that a rookie named Bear was going to be better the Larrson of Pearsson off the start?
You could easily replace a 40 pt 22 minute a night tough as nails young durable fast skating defensman?
Funny I can find you a whole bunch of injury prone, good on the PP , not so great 5 on 5 defenders for even cheap then Klefbom.

End of the day this is all opinion and quite frankly you decided to rehash this issue yet again.
Next time Tkachuk is running around and Kassian is in the box I guess Klefbom is the guy you want out there.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Did we know for sure that a rookie named Bear was going to be better the Larrson of Pearsson off the start?
You could easily replace a 40 pt 22 minute a night tough as nails young durable fast skating defensman?
Funny I can find you a whole bunch of injury prone, good on the PP , not so great 5 on 5 defenders for even cheap then Klefbom.

End of the day this is all opinion and quite frankly you decided to rehash this issue yet again.
Next time Tkachuk is running around and Kassian is in the box I guess Klefbom is the guy you want out there.

I wouldn’t have if you didn’t start your usual schtick of playing up Nurse as more than he is.

Bear has been excellent all year long. He’s easily our best RHD, and it’s no accident he’s with Nurse, who needs him a lot more than Klefbom does.

Nurse has one fight this year. It’s a miniscule and unimportant part of today’s game.

And, speaking of “not so great” 5 on 5, it’s interesting to me that your boy bleeds high danger chances against. Have you ever looked at Nurse’s defensive metrics? They leave a lot to be desired, and always have.

Reactions: McYoungGuns

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Bouchard displaces Benning, not Larsson. You throw Bouchard into the top four next season without a buffer, you run the risk of Jultzing the guy.

There's a chance we could see some sophomore struggles in Bear as well. The right side isn't as set as you're alluding.

I question whether Benning even receives his QO considering you're offering to pay a guy $2m to play bottom pairing minutes coming off of two back to back concussions.

Unless they plan on dealing Larsson, which would be foolish, I don’t think they’ll re-sign Benning.

He definitely has some value around the league so long as he is healthy. Hopefully they can deal him for some help up front or futures.

Reactions: ujju2

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Pullijarvi is right now our most overrated prospect. The guy is not an NHL player at this point. He might be in a few years but right now he does not fill a need.

I agree he is a nothing but we hosed the Flames on Lucic maybe we can on PJ too.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Yet the team struggles every time he is out. Weird.
I love this narrative. Nobody is denying that Klefbom is one of the team’s better dmen. I have constantly given him props for being one of the best conditioned guys on the team. He can go and go and go and he never looks tired. It’s valuable.

The problem is that the team only has about three ‘good’ defensemen on the roster at any one time. Imagine what would happen to any team if they lost one of its three serviceable dmen, and particularly the guy who is capable of playing the most minutes. On a team with depth it wouldn’t matter as much. On the Oilers it’s a critical loss. That’s not because Klefbom is some big stud, it’s because he’s one of about three guys capable of playing the minutes.

In addition, the fact that Klefbom has so many periods of injury that you can point to as ‘evidence’ of his indispensability isn’t really a plus. I’m sure you get that, right?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
That is not what this is about on this thread but yes for the record I do think Nurse is better(and 5 on 5 especially). I think Klefbom is a very good defender but he gets hurt way too often and for his size he really is very weak on the puck.
Klefbom thinks the game better then Nurse but Nurse is a hell of a lot tougher(which in the playoffs pays dividends) and Nurse is far and away a better skater. Klefbom is the better passer out of the two, no argument, but Nurse is more dangerous for jumping up on the rush(he chooses bad times for it sometimes though).
Both players have strengths and weaknesses. I like Nurse's strengths better then Klefboms and I also like that when things get dirty(like on the 29th) I want Nurse in my corner.

However generalizing my comments like that is pretty classless and almost like you want to pick a fight Quite frankly aside from that insult just now you not really added any value as to why Klefbom is better.
5 on 5 they play roughly the same amount. Klefbom gets the PP time so that gives him way more ice time(and theoretically a lot more points considering how good our PP is), point wise they are not that different.

We need both of them right now.

I don't know what games you're watching if you think Klefbom is weak on the puck. It's literally one of his biggest strengths. Look at how often he strips guys off the puck along the boards and how he stops the cycle. He doesn't throw huge hits or play recklessly, he is just quietly effective.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I'd say Nurse and Klef are equally as important to the Oilers. Doesn't matter who it is but if one goes down it's a massive hole blown into the defense.

I love Klef but if they must be compared I'd honestly put my money behind Nurse simply for the fact that he's historically a much healthier hockey player. Hope Klef can go the next couple of seasons without losing any significant amount of time.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'd say Nurse and Klef are equally as important to the Oilers. Doesn't matter who it is but if one goes down it's a massive hole blown into the defense.

I love Klef but if they must be compared I'd honestly put my money behind Nurse simply for the fact that he's historically a much healthier hockey player. Hope Klef can go the next couple of seasons without losing any significant amount of time.
Well, lucky for us we got both and don't need to compare them.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I wouldn’t have if you didn’t start your usual schtick of playing up Nurse as more than he is.

Bear has been excellent all year long. He’s easily our best RHD, and it’s no accident he’s with Nurse, who needs him a lot more than Klefbom does.

Nurse has one fight this year. It’s a miniscule and unimportant part of today’s game.

And, speaking of “not so great” 5 on 5, it’s interesting to me that your boy bleeds high danger chances against. Have you ever looked at Nurse’s defensive metrics? They leave a lot to be desired, and always have.

I was not aware that you were in on Tippet's game planning for your own narrative. Maybe Nurse is with Bear because Tippet does not trust Klefbom with a rookie? Again though that is using my own narrative to make an argument, and it makes us both look bad.

I tried to drop this earlier but you cannot let it go for some reason. Calling Nurse "my boy" really shows your lack of understanding. They play for the Oilers so they are both our "boys".

I am not talking about fights, scrums, when someone gets in that extra jab on Smith, are you really gonna be scared of klefbom? No because that is not his skill set. We have more D with Klef's skill set then we do Nurse's.

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019
Nurse better play rough against Calgary.
I expect to see Kassian , Larsson and nurse hitting those twatttts on Calgary.
If Khaira is playing, I expect him as well to use his body.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Braun might be a better player but it’s not by a huge margin. Even if that’s the case maybe you’re looking at lower picks as the return but I highly disagree with the idea that the Oilers are going to have to attach assets to Russell to move him. He’s got value around the league.

Braun was a 20+ minute shutdown defender when he was dealt and had 33 points the season prior so I'd say that he was considered a good deal better than Russell at the time based on reputation alone.

I'm just having a hard time envisioning a team trading for a $4M bottom pairing Dman when they can just sign one for cheap in free agency. The modified NTC complicates matters even further which limits Holland's options. Maybe I'm wrong and there's a market out there for Russell, I just don't see it.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Braun was a 20+ minute shutdown defender when he was dealt and had 33 points the season prior so I'd say that he was considered a good deal better than Russell at the time based on reputation alone.

I'm just having a hard time envisioning a team trading for a $4M bottom pairing Dman when they can just sign one for cheap in free agency. The modified NTC complicates matters even further which limits Holland's options. Maybe I'm wrong and there's a market out there for Russell, I just don't see it.

The modified NTC does limit things a little but reality often over rides such things. If it is clear that next year Russell will be the team's #7 defenseman and perhaps at risk of being waived and sent to BAK, do you think he would turn down a deal to a team like Ottawa where he would play big minutes in hopes of getting one more decent contract. Family might prevent it. But I doubt that as a pure hockey move he'd turn it down. And if the Oilers waived him his NTC would not actually prevent the Sens from claiming him. Russell at $1M in real salary is a pretty good deal for a team like the Sens.

Even a team like Toronto could use Russell. A three way deal through Ottawa could certainly work. The Oilers flip Russel with $1M retained to Ottawa for a pick. Ottawa then trades him to TO with 50% retained for a better asset. Ottawa gets $1.5M against the cap for $375K as well as an upgraded pick and the Buds get a veteran defensive defenseman who can play either side in their bottom pairing for $1.5M. Russell at $1.5M on the cap is actually a very good deal for a team that will have a hard time filling out its backend next year.

I suspect that out of respect for the player the Oilers will work with Russell. But if they need the cap space Russell really holds very few cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad