Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
We need a great starter so let's trade for this undrafted backup with modest stats because there's a miniscule chance he becomes something no scout has ever suggested he'd become? This isn't very sound logic.
It’s like that Family Guy where Peter had to choose between a boat and a mystery box and he was like “this mystery box could be anything, maybe even a boat!”

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I would certainly trade a spare part for Georgiev but not Puljujarvi.

I would rather have Georgiev over Smith but the upgrade is worth a Marody or Benning and not Puljujarvi.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I don’t think the need to pick up a young goalie is as pressing as some here seem to think. We’ve got Mikko here for another two years and if he’s able to keep going with his level of play from this year I don’t think it’s crazy to think that he could sign an extension for a couple more years after that. In that time frame one of Skinner/Rodrigue/Konovalov should hopefully be able to take the reigns.

I will say the exception to this would be if they’ve got a chance to pick Askarov this year. If he’s there when we’re up I hope Holland jumps all over that.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Agreed, Talbot put up much better stats.

unfair to them to compare Georgiev to them.
When Talbot was 24 he was playing in the AHL. He didn’t play an NHL game till he was 26. Georgiev is miles ahead of where Talbot was at the same age. Georgiev was just turned 24 this season and this is the 3rd season he’s played in the nhl.

Reactions: KYams17

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I don’t think the need to pick up a young goalie is as pressing as some here seem to think. We’ve got Mikko here for another two years and if he’s able to keep going with his level of play from this year I don’t think it’s crazy to think that he could sign an extension for a couple more years after that. In that time frame one of Skinner/Rodrigue/Konovalov should hopefully be able to take the reigns.

I will say the exception to this would be if they’ve got a chance to pick Askarov this year. If he’s there when we’re up I hope Holland jumps all over that.

I agree with you, I think Koskinen has been good and he’s improved from year one to year two. But I do think in today’s NHL unless you have an absolutely elite goaltender then a 1A/1B situation is the best way to go. I think Smith will be the B side for another year until they have a feel for how the expansion will shake out then they will see how things look in their pipeline and what’s out there around the league. Tippetts system usually does well for goalies, especially big, athletic ones like Koskinen.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
When Talbot was 24 he was playing in the AHL. He didn’t play an NHL game till he was 26. Georgiev is miles ahead of where Talbot was at the same age. Georgiev was just turned 24 this season and this is the 3rd season he’s played in the nhl.
Progression isn’t linear

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
What do you guys think of Calle Jarnkrok from Nashville?

He’s a guy I’ve always liked and I feel like he could fill that 3C role.

27 and has 2 years left at 2M. He skates well, PK, play all 3 fwd positions, right hand shot and decent on draws. Usually good for 30 pts.

Reactions: KYams17

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
What do you guys think of Calle Jarnkrok from Nashville?

He’s a guy I’ve always liked and I feel like he could fill that 3C role.

27 and has 2 years left at 2M. He skates well, PK, play all 3 fwd positions, right hand shot and decent on draws. Usually good for 30 pts.
Ken Holland draft pick. They used him as top line RW this year. Not sure they have much motivation to move him.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Ken Holland draft pick. They used him as top line RW this year. Not sure they have much motivation to move him.

Yeah I was thinking about the Holland connection. He did find some success for a stretch on the top line but I don’t think they’re under any illusions of him being a top line player, even with a strong stretch of play he wasn’t scoring at a much higher rate then he has in other seasons.

They need some help on the back end and Benning could be a nice fit for them, a Jarnkrok for Benning base could work for both teams.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah I was thinking about the Holland connection. He did find some success for a stretch on the top line but I don’t think they’re under any illusions of him being a top line player, even with a strong stretch of play he wasn’t scoring at a much higher rate then he has in other seasons.

They need some help on the back end and Benning could be a nice fit for them, a Jarnkrok for Benning base could work for both teams.

Jarnkok has quite a bit more value than Benning I'd imagine. He's one of the better 2 way 3rd liners in the league on a sweetheart contract.

For the #3C, there are several intriguing options in free agency. Haula, Soderberg, Tierney (although I think he's more W than C). I'm not sure they'll have much money to sign anybody decent but those are the guys I'd target. Maybe a Russell for Perreault swap?
The pandemic causing the flat cap really screwed the Oilers chances to add this offseason.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

I don’t see that being enough honestly. Jarnkrok is a pretty high quality bottom 6 player who can play top 6. Going to cost more than Benning and a plus.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I’m not suggesting Benning for Jarnkrok straight accross. I understand his value both on ice and contract wise but at the end of the day he’s still a depth player who’s 27 with a career high of 35 pts. Benning is a solid if unspectacular dman and a right shot to boot. He’s 26 and has played 250 games he’s coming into his prime and he won’t need to be paid that much. He has decent value as a guy who can anchor your third pairing and be comfortable with him playing up the lineup if need be.

Something like Benning + Haas for Jarnkrok.

They fill a hole on D they have and get a player similar to Jarnkrok in Haas.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Jarnkok has quite a bit more value than Benning I'd imagine. He's one of the better 2 way 3rd liners in the league on a sweetheart contract.

For the #3C, there are several intriguing options in free agency. Haula, Soderberg, Tierney (although I think he's more W than C). I'm not sure they'll have much money to sign anybody decent but those are the guys I'd target. Maybe a Russell for Perreault swap?
The pandemic causing the flat cap really screwed the Oilers chances to add this offseason.
Not wishing to remove the discussion from C. Jarnkok....but i would like to comment on your point about Tierney....

Before the deadline in a number of posts I suggested pursing and overpaying for Tierney and i was advocating for him as our future 3C because i believe(d) we have the ideal winger(s) to make this work long term....
Benson works perfectly on LW but is very much a playmaker....he does not have the right skills for a true two way centre or for a top line wing....Tierney how ever has the skills for a true defensive centre and a scorer in the offensive zone but does possess only average passing ability and has somewhat limited vision up ice.
Before the deadline i suggested

Benson Tierney Neal(Kassian)....depending on the on-ice situation at the time...

I also suggested that by overpaying Ottawa that this would give them the financial means and motivation to retain Pageau....Sadly this is no longer the case. Ottawa will need much greater motivation now to let go of Tierney....

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I can't see them parting ways with Jarnkrok for something like Benning.

They were using him at wing for the most part this year and they're going to be hurting for top9 forwards next year with Granlund and Smith likely walking in UFA.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I’m not suggesting Benning for Jarnkrok straight accross. I understand his value both on ice and contract wise but at the end of the day he’s still a depth player who’s 27 with a career high of 35 pts. Benning is a solid if unspectacular dman and a right shot to boot. He’s 26 and has played 250 games he’s coming into his prime and he won’t need to be paid that much. He has decent value as a guy who can anchor your third pairing and be comfortable with him playing up the lineup if need be.

Something like Benning + Haas for Jarnkrok.

They fill a hole on D they have and get a player similar to Jarnkrok in Haas.
I don't think a guy like Haas is tipping that scale.

Reactions: MessierII

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I can't see them parting ways with Jarnkrok for something like Benning.

They were using him at wing for the most part this year and they're going to be hurting for top9 forwards next year with Granlund and Smith likely walking in UFA.

The issue is that Nashville would have no use for Benning. They are ultra deep at defense. They need a big shakeup at forward.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The issue is that Nashville would have no use for Benning. They are ultra deep at defense. They need a big shakeup at forward.

I wouldn’t qualify a blueline that had Jared Tinordi in their lineup for 30 games deep. Others who frequented their blue line were Hamhuis, Holzer, Yannick Weber, all over 30 and Benning is better then any of them.

They also don’t have a lot of in the way of defensive prospects that will be making the jump soon, maybe Davies.

Their fans seem and much of what is suggested by people covering the team suggest they need to upgrade the bottom end of their blue line.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Not wishing to remove the discussion from C. Jarnkok....but i would like to comment on your point about Tierney....

Before the deadline in a number of posts I suggested pursing and overpaying for Tierney and i was advocating for him as our future 3C because i believe(d) we have the ideal winger(s) to make this work long term....
Benson works perfectly on LW but is very much a playmaker....he does not have the right skills for a true two way centre or for a top line wing....Tierney how ever has the skills for a true defensive centre and a scorer in the offensive zone but does possess only average passing ability and has somewhat limited vision up ice.
Before the deadline i suggested

Benson Tierney Neal(Kassian)....depending on the on-ice situation at the time...

I also suggested that by overpaying Ottawa that this would give them the financial means and motivation to retain Pageau....Sadly this is no longer the case. Ottawa will need much greater motivation now to let go of Tierney....

I agree, wanted them to take a run at Tierney but now I think would be too cost prohibitive, both in assets and also contract cause I think he’s gonna be looking for a solid raise and possibly even an expanded role.

Reactions: Anarchism

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I wouldn’t qualify a blueline that had Jared Tinordi in their lineup for 30 games deep. Others who frequented their blue line were Hamhuis, Holzer, Yannick Weber, all over 30 and Benning is better then any of them.

They also don’t have a lot of in the way of defensive prospects that will be making the jump soon, maybe Davies.

Their fans seem and much of what is suggested by people covering the team suggest they need to upgrade the bottom end of their blue line.

This is not true. Carrier and Allard are probably very close to pro ready, if they aren't already.

They also have one of the best defensive prospects not in the NHL right now in David Farrance.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I thinks it’s a little light as well and honestly it all hinges on what the Preds do with free agents like Granlund and Smith because if they both walk theres no chance they deal Jarnkrok. Even still I think they’d like to hang onto him another year see if he can replicate the season he was having. But they do have a need on d and Benning would fit that need perfectly from the sounds of it. If I was Holland I’d be inquiring.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
NSH could be a good landing spot for Puljujarvi.
He will get offensive opportunities there.

I like Sissons a lot more than Jarnkrok. Doubt NSH would be interested in a straight swap so maybe Puljujarvi+Benning for Sissons

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

you're right that the need isn't pressing now, but "need" is not so simple.

Almost always, it's about opportunity. Georgiev being available is an opportunity. Goaltending could become part of our team identity, and not just something get by with "just enough". It's not guaranteed with Georgiev+Koskinen, but that's on the table, and the quality of Koskinen gives us a generous window for Georgiev to show if he's elite level, without the intense pressure of it having to happen right away.

I don't share your optimism about our goalie prospects. At the very least, I wouldn't bet our future in net on them.

The other half of that is that JP is a spare part. With the emergence of Yamamoto, LW is a bigger hole now. It's looking like this upcoming draft will deliver us that player.

And to me, if there is a difference in value let that be shown on the ice, and the loser of the trade get a conditional pick as compensation.

Reactions: MessierII

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Agreed, Talbot put up much better stats.

unfair to them to compare Georgiev to them.

Ummm no I'm saying Georgiev has much better potential than those 2 and he is worth Puljujarvi to me. A crybaby player/Bambi who can still barely skate is worth nothing with that kind of attitude. Garbage like that is not needed in the dressing room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad