Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Reseason Training Camp Opens July 13th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Thanks! I missed that! which section of the CBA is this since I only saw 50.7? I must confess since leaving the BoH Board my CBA knowledge has rusted.

I'll modify it as follows:

4 6 10 10 8 6 5

It's in 50.7(b) "The 100 Percent Rule" for Multi-Year SPCs

btw, that change doesn't quite work--you've now made it a Front-Loaded SPC :)

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's in 50.7(b) "The 100 Percent Rule" for Multi-Year SPCs

btw, that change doesn't quite work--you've now made it a Front-Loaded SPC :)
Right. I modified it and I think my new modification does work. Arithmetic ain't my strong suit I guess! Reading too by the looks of it. I don't know how I just skipped 50.7 B.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Isn't the rule that your lowest paying year in terms of total salary (including bonuses) can't be less than 50% of the highest paying one? Meaning if he makes $10m one year, the lowest year can't be any lower than $5m in terms of total salary?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
This may be over thinking things, but if we get knocked out of the play-ins, and win the 1st pick, would you trade that pick for #3 and #5? Dorion on Sportsnet hinted that he'd do that.

I know Lafreniere is comparable to MacKinnon, but can we afford that at all, especially playing next to Drai or McDavid? Getting a lesser player like Stutzle (who would still be amazing) plus perhaps a #1D in Drysdale is awfully tempting to me.

I might do it if i knew we would get Stutzle for sure at #3. If we could pick up Drysdale or Raymond or something at #5, that would be great too.

If LA was to draft Stutzle at #2, I would probably just keep Lafreniere.

Reactions: nally and belair

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
uggggg, no good at all. Obviously the owners won't want this. But it would really help the Oil out, and with a flat cap, not having them will really screw the players for the next few years.

Kinda sucks but honestly the only really bad contract we have is Neals. Though it kills me that we are paying for the Sekera buy out and still paying for Pouilots buy out. Pretty much every team has at least one Neal contract.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Looking to the off-season, what are people's opinions on Mark Jankowski? He's coming off a season where he completely came off the rails and I'm not sure Calgary's tripping over themselves looking to qualify him at $1.675m. But last season he put up 32 points, 5 SHGs and won >50% of his draws.

Maybe he's a guy to look at if Sheahan's asking for too much money.

I don't think he ever lives up to that draft pedigree, but he looks like someone who could click in that role and maybe play net front on a second unit.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I might do it if i knew we would get Stutzle for sure at #3. If we could pick up Drysdale or Raymond or something at #5, that would be great too.

If LA was to draft Stutzle at #2, I would probably just keep Lafreniere.
Unfortunately you can't really do that since you can't trade Lafreniere after you draft him (well you could, but it would be weird). I say just take Byfield in that situation. But I doubt that's an issue. From what I read, Byfield is the clear #2.

edit: not to mention that Byfield is the clear center, while Stutzle might work best on the wing. LA was gifted a perfect replacement for Jeff Carter in Byfield. Carter is 35, so it makes sense.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Unfortunately you can't really do that since you can't trade Lafreniere after you draft him (well you could, but it would be weird). I say just take Byfield in that situation. But I doubt that's an issue. From what I read, Byfield is the clear #2

Hes definitely not the clear #2. On Bob McKenzies list which is polling of 10 NHL scouts, Stutzle was at #2 and Byfield at #3. They are very close. Some will like Stutzle better, some will like Byfield better, but regardless ones not clearly ahead of the other.

The reason why Byfield isnt clearly ahead is because despite him having wonderful tools and size, his hockey IQ is above average at best. Where as Stutzle has near elite hockey IQ, with elite skating and elite hands.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Looking to the off-season, what are people's opinions on Mark Jankowski? He's coming off a season where he completely came off the rails and I'm not sure Calgary's tripping over themselves looking to qualify him at $1.675m. But last season he put up 32 points, 5 SHGs and won >50% of his draws.

I don't think he ever lives up to that draft pedigree, but he looks like someone who could click in that role and maybe play net front on a second unit.

At first thought I was like "maybe he had an off-season for shooting percentage."

Nope. 13.2 percent. He only took 38 shots all season. That's almost strange to me.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I'd love to add him as 3C but I think Calgary would prefer to give him another shot. They might be low on cap, but 1.6 is not a lot, especially for a player who might be their 3C going forward if he bounces back

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Isn't the rule that your lowest paying year in terms of total salary (including bonuses) can't be less than 50% of the highest paying one? Meaning if he makes $10m one year, the lowest year can't be any lower than $5m in terms of total salary?
No.

This was the case at one point but they changed it in the last CBA. Take a look at Timo Meir for example. The first year of his deal is at $4M and the last year is at $10M.

It's actually more complicated now as mouser points out. The rules are different depending on whether the contract is front loaded (ie more than 50% of the money is in the first half) or not. This is covered in section 50.7 of the CBA for anyone interested.

50.7 Variability Rules for Multi-Year SPCs.
(a) For all "Front-Loaded SPCs" (as defined below), the difference between the stated
Player Salary and Bonuses in any immediately adjacent League Years of that SPC cannot exceed
thirty-five (35) percent of the stated Player Salary and Bonuses of the first League Year of such
Front-Loaded SPC. Additionally, under no circumstances may the stated Player Salary and
Bonuses in any League Year of a Front-Loaded SPC be less than fifty (50) percent of the highest
stated Player Salary and Bonuses in a League Year of that same Front-Loaded SPC.

(i) To determine whether an SPC is a Front-Loaded SPC:
(A) Take the total number of League Years in the SPC and divide by
two (2) ("First-Half Term");Add the amounts of all stated Player Salary and Bonuses in the
First-Half Term. If the SPC has an odd number of League Years,
allocate to the first half of the SPC one-half of the stated Player
Salary and Bonuses paid to the Player in the middle League Year
of such SPC (e.g., the fourth year of a seven-year SPC) ("First-
Half Stated Player Salary and Bonuses");
(C) Divide the First-Half Stated Player Salary and Bonuses by the
First-Half Term. The resulting amount shall be the "First-Half
Averaged Amount";
(D) Calculate the Averaged Amount of the SPC in a manner consistent
with Section 50.5(d)(ii);
(E) If the First-Half Averaged Amount is greater than the Averaged
Amount for the entire term of the SPC, such SPC is a "Front-
Loaded SPC" and must comply with Section 50.7(a). Any SPC
other than a Front-Loaded SPC must comply with Section 50.7(b)
rather than Section 50.7(a).

(b) "The 100 Percent Rule" for Multi-Year SPCs. For any SPC that is not a Front-
Loaded SPC, the difference between the stated Player Salary and Bonuses in the first two League
Years of an SPC cannot exceed the amount of the lower of the two League Years. Thereafter, in
all subsequent League Years of the SPC, (i) any increase in Player Salary and Bonuses from one
League Year to another may not exceed the amount of the lower of the first two League Years of
the SPC (or, if such amounts are the same, that same amount); and (ii) any decrease in Player
Salary and Bonuses from one League Year to another may not exceed fifty (50) percent of the
Player Salary and Bonuses of the lower of the first two League Years of the SPC (or, if such
amounts are the same, 50 percent of that same amount).

Last edited:
Reactions: belair

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Thanks! I missed that! which section of the CBA is this since I only saw 50.7? I must confess since leaving the BoH Board my CBA knowledge has rusted.

I'll modify it as follows:

2 4 6 8 10 10 9

(Edited thanks to mouser's comments.)

you might actually convince him with that offer. Especially if Connor is pushing hard. When it’s combined with paying it all out in signing bonuses like Matthews to save on Provincial tax, it definitely makes that 7 number seem much higher.

it depends on price. If he’d go for like 3 or 4 years at a number starting with a 1, I’d definitely have time for him.

Considering he was projected to be an early 3rd round pick, he kind of already lived up to the draft pedigree simply by making it to the NHL

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I know he was one of the younger guys on the team, but man Byfield looked horrendous at the World Juniors. I think that will be a cause of concern going into the draft.

Contrasted with Lafreniere who looked incredible, even with his injury.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I know he was one of the younger guys on the team, but man Byfield looked horrendous at the World Juniors. I think that will be a cause of concern going into the draft.

Lafreniere turns 19 2 months after Byfield turns 18.

He looked as good as Lafreniere did in the 18/19 World Juniors when Lafreniere was 17

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

The only one who will be concerned is Button.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Does not sound like a compliance buyout will be coming.

Tentative November 1st will be the start of Free Agency. In a normal scenario, the draft would occur the weekend prior.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Does not sound like a compliance buyout will be coming.

Tentative November 1st will be the start of Free Agency. In a normal scenario, the draft would occur the weekend prior.

That date seems extremely optimistic. If games start in a month which at this pace I don't see how, the playoffs would run to the 13th of October at the latest. (2 weeks per round, 10 days for playins, games every second day, no breaks in between rounds that go the full length). Every week pushes that back. So I guess for that Nov 1st to work games gave to start no later than August 15th

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
That date seems extremely optimistic. If games start in a month which at this pace I don't see how, the playoffs would run to the 13th of October at the latest. (2 weeks per round, 10 days for playins, games every second day, no breaks in between rounds that go the full length). Every week pushes that back. So I guess for that Nov 1st to work games gave to start no later than August 15th
What is optimistic about this? Players hit the ice July 10. They really wouldn't need a full month to start playing games. Should easily be able to start games late July if not Aug01 if there are not major roadblocks.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What is optimistic about this? Players hit the ice July 10. They really wouldn't need a full month to start playing games. Should easily be able to start games late July if not Aug01 if there are not major roadblocks.
They hit the ice July 10th, 2 weeks training camp was mentioned so that's July 24th. It'll take teams a few days after that to get to the bubble and settle in say July 27th. So yeah late July. That's if there is no delays due to covid.

Edit: Teams and the league were hinting 3 weeks of camp is probably necessary.
So July 10th, 3 weeks, July 31. Day or two pushes the start of playoffs to probably say the 3rd to start it on a Monday. So November 1st is fine as long as no teams get hit with Covid and need to quarantine, they actually start camps next week and there is zero days off between rounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: nally

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Flat cap and no compliance buyout puts an end to big game hunting in UFA market.
Hopefully Holland still adds someone like Maroon or Marleau to the wing. We can't have guaranteed top 6 spot for AA.

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
Flat cap and no compliance buyout puts an end to big game hunting in UFA market.
Hopefully Holland still adds someone like Maroon or Marleau to the wing. We can't have guaranteed top 6 spot for AA.

While I agree, let’s not write AA off quite yet. Kenny’s had him in Detroit and watched him play for the last few years. He knows what he has in him. It usually takes a little more than 9 games to gel with a new team. Don’t get so down on him yet.

If the cap does indeed stay flat with no compliance buyouts coming, we won’t be spending too much on UFA’s like you stated. Hopefully players on their ELC’s can start to make a push. Players like Benson and Yamo. I think there’s a player though with AA, speed can be a useful tool if paired properly with other players.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I'd love to see Hall back but it would take some creative moves by Holland to make it work for next season and beyond. RNH is up next summer and he's gotta stay. Yamamoto and Larsson will also be without contracts then.

The only thing that gives me some hope it can be accomplished is Hall a couple years ago saying he would prioritize winning over money on his next contract.

It's a shitty time to hit UFA status with Covid screwing up the salary cap. He seems to have zero luck.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I agree but I’m hopeful it’s a 3C instead of a winger. I don’t really think a Maroon or Marleau level player moves the needle in the top 6 any more then AA would. A veteran 3C would do more for the roster, solidifies the 3rd line and maybe even makes it easier for a younger player like Benson to take the next step.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I'd love to see Hall back but it would take some creative moves by Holland to make it work for next season and beyond. RNH is up next summer and he's gotta stay. Yamamoto and Larsson will also be without contracts then.

The only thing that gives me some hope it can be accomplished is Hall a couple years ago saying he would prioritize winning over money on his next contract.

It's a shitty time to hit UFA status with Covid screwing up the salary cap. He seems to have zero luck.

Seattle will end up with a pile of picks for taking other teams cap dumps .

To Seattle Neal + 2022 2nd + 2021 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad