Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Reseason Training Camp Opens July 13th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Marody had a bad year but he could just as easily turn it around next season, many times guys are all over the map developmentally and some cases it’s the darkest before the dawn so to speak. Sometimes having a bad year, especially when you’re a younger guy running out of time to prove yourself, forces you over that hump.

Both Benson and Marody need work in areas of their skating, the catch 22 is they need to be with the Oilers to get the regular skating instruction from Pelletier that will improve their skating, but to make the team they need to show more then they have. Benson just turned 22 he’s still young, not to mention had a few years derailed by injuries, as well he’s an incredibly smart, adaptable player. His skating doesn’t need to improve by leaps and bounds. Even small improvements will go a long way for a player like him who has other abilities to counteract average skating.

I wouldn’t talk in certainties like “Benson ain’t young anymore, his skating ain’t improving” it’s simply not a fact and many times those type of statements come back to make us look foolish, but I’m sure you know that already.
Working with the oilers skating coach doesn’t require them to be called up with the oilers.

draisaitls biggest improvement to skating was in the off season.

if cyclone is saying benson ain’t improving his skating, I would place a bet that he improves his skating this off season.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Working with the oilers skating coach doesn’t require them to be called up with the oilers.

if cyclone is saying benson ain’t improving his skating, I would place a bet that he improves his skating this off season.

My point was that at the NHL level they will have more resources, more personalized skating instruction and on a more frequent basis.

I thought Benson would find a spot at some point this season but he couldn’t quite separate himself from other, more veteran options. Hopefully next year he can take that step with a good off season. I think a good 3C would go a long way in having a guy like Benson be successful in a 3LW role.

Reactions: nally

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The score is reporting an extension to the cba for 6 years is close, with the cap staying at 81.5 for the next 3 years. Terrible news for the oilers if true. We needed escalating cap in order for the 97 and 29 contracts to start becoming more team friendly. This will make filling in the top 6 all but impossible

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
No it won't. This will affect every team, not just the Oilers, lowering the asking price of FA's for the next 3 years.

Reactions: AM

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
A flat cap probably helps the team get Nuge, Yamo, Bear and Larsson signed cheaper on their next contracts. The only thing it might hurt is moving Russell and possibly Chiasson this offseason.

Both those guys will be staying put. The only logical choice for Russell is Ottawa but he'll just put them on his limited NTC. I can't see any of our UFA's coming unless they are willing to take a discount. The NHL is going to have to allow teams a compliance buyout this year or there will be almost no signings on UFA day.

Reactions: nally and McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
You gotta think they give each team a compliance buyout or an exception player to the cap. Something to help teams without actually costing players money.

Reactions: Aerchon

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The score is reporting an extension to the cba for 6 years is close, with the cap staying at 81.5 for the next 3 years. Terrible news for the oilers if true. We needed escalating cap in order for the 97 and 29 contracts to start becoming more team friendly. This will make filling in the top 6 all but impossible

My takeaway from this is that it took a f***ing worldwide pandemic for there to finally be proactive, good faith CBA negotiations between the NHL and the NHLPA.

Or maybe it only worked because they couldn't be in the same room together due to social distancing.

LOL.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Any line with McDavid will do well. Ennis and Kassian showed well enough to be solid compliments, AA has the potential to work his way up. No ideal top line options but there's a lot more options than there was to start last season.

Agreed on the #3C. That's the biggest sore spot in the forward group and was a need that I thought should have been addressed at the deadline instead of two top 9 wingers. If you put Haula or Soderberg in that spot, that's quite a good forward group we have.
Our bottom 6 is such an issue. I think almost all of them have only really put up non shit offense while with McDavid. Finding at least a third line of guys that can at least push the pace 5v5 and score on their own would help this team not be shit even strength

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

My point is he has had work with the Oilers skating coach for years and his skating hasn't shown any real improvement. Why is it a stretch that I don't believe that suddenly 5 years after his draft his skating will just improve.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
My point is he has had work with the Oilers skating coach for years and his skating hasn't shown any real improvement. Why is it a stretch that I don't believe that suddenly 5 years after his draft his skating will just improve.
He also had barely any offseasons when he's been healthy.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Extremely interesting if true.

First off, the nhl as we know it may never be the same. Revenue wise.

Secondly, GMs and Owners have been shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly. Falling prey to promise and potential. Doling out significant raises. The next CBA was likely to be another attempt for the league to save the GMs from themselves.

Thirdly, while I agree whole heartedly that the Oilers suffer more than most there are obviously other teams in worse shape. Toronto. It's extremely hard to imagine a straight flat cap over the next three years is realistic for many teams. Buyouts or Escrow to cap reductions or who knows what will almost certainly come in to play.

Lastly. If... if our GM, who is not known for good negotiating, can play hard ball during this economic crisis... As someone mentioned the Oilers are "could" be actually situated better than many.

Klefbom, Nuge, Larsson, Yamamoto, Bear, maybe Puljujarvi... Really everyone outside of McDavid "should" have a smaller cap hit than under different circumstances.

Nurses demands/contract are rediculous imo. Maybe this throws ice on his lofty contract expectations.

Moving Russell potentially becomes easier in some ways. Cap space is in short demand yes, but penny pinching owners will also be looking to save real dollars too. Hard to imagine a cheaper #5 in real dollars than Russell. Can play his offside, has great experience, and is a good team guy by accounts.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
The Oilers are far from the team this is terrible news for, Drai’s deal is already team friendly, Mcdavid is Mcdavid, your paying for what you get. Edmonton, just like other teams, is going to either have to sign its upcoming UFA/RFA to bridge type cheaper deals, or replace them from within with cheaper options and let them walk. Luckily for us on defense we have some good young, cheaper, depth emerging in the form of Bear, Jones, Bouchard, and possibly Lagesson. Unfortunately for us we need to address forward depth from external, so we are going to be strapped this year on doing anything, but will have some slight breathing room next year to try to add in some spots.

Any contender is going to be in the same, if not worse position, as us by next offseason.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Right now as things stand we have 32.7 mill in space NEXT off season. This is our current roster with that space

Blank - McDavid - Kassian
Blank - Draisaitl - Blank
Blank - Blank - Neal
Blank - Blank - Archibald
Blank

Klefbom - Blank
Nurse - Blank
Jones - Blank
Blank

Koskinen
Blank

Bear @ 2.75
Nuge @ 7
Yamamoto @ 4.5
Bouchard can plug in at his 900k
AA @ 3 mill

That leaves us with 14 mill for a Larsson replacement, backup goalie, 3c, middle 6 winger, 3 middlen6 forwards. It's doable but it will be extremely tight. my additions we make will be small sub 3 mill players cause it's all we can afford. Big player hunting is impossible for this team.
For the 2021-22 season

It’s easily do able, why can’t that Larsson replacement be Bouchard? It just might have to be. At that point he will be in his D+4 season, and be 22, so he’s either starting to make it or not at that point, that saves cap right there.

So a backup goalie say 2M
3C say 3M
Middle six winger say 3M

That still would leave you with 8M over 3 middle 6 forwards, probably 2 of which come in around 1-1.5, leaving you 4-5M if you wanted to go bigger fish hunting.

Luckily for us we do have some young defensive options that may be able to help us get by in Bouchard and Jones, and I think could plug a hole for Larsson.You also glossed over the fact that I said in a pinch next offseason the numbers on a Neal buyout are quite favorable, and likely for that matter, and would save yet another 3.83M against the cap to add a more impactful forward at that point.

IMO after next season we are far from being as tight as many think, and especially when compared to other teams who will be trying to contend. Teams like Tampa, who are already tight, will have to gut there depth just to survive.

This offseason we are stuck, and essentially just going to take this roster into next year, which isn’t a bad thing considering it’s likely to be a shortened season also.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
We don't need the McDavid and Draisaitl caphits to start doing anything to become cap friendly.

They already are

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Tbt, I wonder how likely Russell is to pull a Brodziak or Ference this offseason, and just close out his final year on LTIR. He's an undersized defenceman who has never been afraid to put his body on the line, so I don't think it would be difficult for him to find a medical reason.

Hell, the way they were talking about his concussion this spring made it sound like he was done. (Of course, Green got injured and Russell was suddenly ready to go a game or two later...)

Reactions: nally

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Tbt, I wonder how likely Russell is to pull a Brodziak or Ference this offseason, and just close out his final year on LTIR. He's an undersized defenceman who has never been afraid to put his body on the line, so I don't think it would be difficult for him to find a medical reason.

Hell, the way they were talking about his concussion this spring made it sound like he was done. (Of course, Green got injured and Russell was suddenly ready to go a game or two later...)

33 seems a bit young to be going down that route

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Both those guys will be staying put. The only logical choice for Russell is Ottawa but he'll just put them on his limited NTC. I can't see any of our UFA's coming unless they are willing to take a discount. The NHL is going to have to allow teams a compliance buyout this year or there will be almost no signings on UFA day.
I don't think that it is true that Ottawa is the only place that makes sense for Russell. LA for example has a ton of cap space and McLellan loved Russell. Right now he might he might well be better than any defenseman other than Doughty who is signed for next year.

Russell could also make sense in Winnipeg especially if the Oilers retained say $1M. I suspect that next year the Jets will be very conscious of actual dollars spent since they are a team that is careful with their budget and very dependent on local gate revenue. With Buff gone they likely have the cap space to fit Russell in. With $1M retained and after the signing bonus is paid Russell costs $1.125M in real dollars which is actually a bargain for a solid veteran bottom six defender.

Detroit could also use him. So could Montreal. He'd even help a team like Colorado for one year. There are also possible three way deals to open up options.

Russell is a guy who gets no respect on HF but who tends to have great respect from the players and coaches he plays with. Which is more meaningful? So yes his cap hit makes things more of a challenge but his salary also compensates for that at a time when actual revenue is pretty meaningful.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
A flat cap probably helps the team get Nuge, Yamo, Bear and Larsson signed cheaper on their next contracts. The only thing it might hurt is moving Russell and possibly Chiasson this offseason.
Add Nurse into this as well. This especially true because the Oilers can structure the deal so that the player gets less money in years where escrow is going to be high and more money via signing bonuses when local revenues are more likely to return.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This may be over thinking things, but if we get knocked out of the play-ins, and win the 1st pick, would you trade that pick for #3 and #5? Dorion on Sportsnet hinted that he'd do that.

I know Lafreniere is comparable to MacKinnon, but can we afford that at all, especially playing next to Drai or McDavid? Getting a lesser player like Stutzle (who would still be amazing) plus perhaps a #1D in Drysdale is awfully tempting to me.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
This may be over thinking things, but if we get knocked out of the play-ins, and win the 1st pick, would you trade that pick for #3 and #5? Dorion on Sportsnet hinted that he'd do that.

I know Lafreniere is comparable to MacKinnon, but can we afford that at all, especially playing next to Drai or McDavid? Getting a lesser player like Stutzle (who would still be amazing) plus perhaps a #1D in Drysdale is awfully tempting to me.

That's a tough call.

Normally I'd say yes but there's extra value to Lafrenieres contract over the flat cap.

If we won the first, I'd draft him and trade high picks over the next 3 years to clear cap space and add to the roster.

Trade Lafrenier after year 3 to restock the cupboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad