Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Reseason Training Camp Opens July 13th?

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by Bryanbryoil, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Al from New Jersey Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Working with the oilers skating coach doesn’t require them to be called up with the oilers.

draisaitls biggest improvement to skating was in the off season.

if cyclone is saying benson ain’t improving his skating, I would place a bet that he improves his skating this off season.

CycloneSweep likes this.
  2. SupremeTeam16 5-14-6-1

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    My point was that at the NHL level they will have more resources, more personalized skating instruction and on a more frequent basis.

I thought Benson would find a spot at some point this season but he couldn’t quite separate himself from other, more veteran options. Hopefully next year he can take that step with a good off season. I think a good 3C would go a long way in having a guy like Benson be successful in a 3LW role.

nally likes this.
  3. McJadeddog Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The score is reporting an extension to the cba for 6 years is close, with the cap staying at 81.5 for the next 3 years. Terrible news for the oilers if true. We needed escalating cap in order for the 97 and 29 contracts to start becoming more team friendly. This will make filling in the top 6 all but impossible

4. Senor Catface Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    No it won't. This will affect every team, not just the Oilers, lowering the asking price of FA's for the next 3 years.

AM likes this.
  5. Del Preston Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    $8.5M for a 50-goal, 110-point player is as team friendly as it gets.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020 at 1:00 AM
    nally, McBooya42, nabob and 6 others like this.
  6. BarDownBobo Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    A flat cap probably helps the team get Nuge, Yamo, Bear and Larsson signed cheaper on their next contracts. The only thing it might hurt is moving Russell and possibly Chiasson this offseason.

nally and Mcnotloilersfan like this.
  7. McShogun99 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Both those guys will be staying put. The only logical choice for Russell is Ottawa but he'll just put them on his limited NTC. I can't see any of our UFA's coming unless they are willing to take a discount. The NHL is going to have to allow teams a compliance buyout this year or there will be almost no signings on UFA day.

nally and McDoused like this.
  8. McDoused Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    You gotta think they give each team a compliance buyout or an exception player to the cap. Something to help teams without actually costing players money.

Aerchon likes this.
  9. Cloned Qurious Quincie

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    My takeaway from this is that it took a f***ing worldwide pandemic for there to finally be proactive, good faith CBA negotiations between the NHL and the NHLPA.

Or maybe it only worked because they couldn't be in the same room together due to social distancing.

LOL.

VainGretzky and joestevens29 like this.
  10. CycloneSweep Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Our bottom 6 is such an issue. I think almost all of them have only really put up non shit offense while with McDavid. Finding at least a third line of guys that can at least push the pace 5v5 and score on their own would help this team not be shit even strength

11. CycloneSweep Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    My point is he has had work with the Oilers skating coach for years and his skating hasn't shown any real improvement. Why is it a stretch that I don't believe that suddenly 5 years after his draft his skating will just improve.

12. Al from New Jersey Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He also had barely any offseasons when he's been healthy.

13. Aerchon Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Extremely interesting if true.

First off, the nhl as we know it may never be the same. Revenue wise.

Secondly, GMs and Owners have been shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly. Falling prey to promise and potential. Doling out significant raises. The next CBA was likely to be another attempt for the league to save the GMs from themselves.

Thirdly, while I agree whole heartedly that the Oilers suffer more than most there are obviously other teams in worse shape. Toronto. It's extremely hard to imagine a straight flat cap over the next three years is realistic for many teams. Buyouts or Escrow to cap reductions or who knows what will almost certainly come in to play.

Lastly. If... if our GM, who is not known for good negotiating, can play hard ball during this economic crisis... As someone mentioned the Oilers are "could" be actually situated better than many.

Klefbom, Nuge, Larsson, Yamamoto, Bear, maybe Puljujarvi... Really everyone outside of McDavid "should" have a smaller cap hit than under different circumstances.

Nurses demands/contract are rediculous imo. Maybe this throws ice on his lofty contract expectations.

Moving Russell potentially becomes easier in some ways. Cap space is in short demand yes, but penny pinching owners will also be looking to save real dollars too. Hard to imagine a cheaper #5 in real dollars than Russell. Can play his offside, has great experience, and is a good team guy by accounts.

14. Smartguy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The Oilers are far from the team this is terrible news for, Drai’s deal is already team friendly, Mcdavid is Mcdavid, your paying for what you get. Edmonton, just like other teams, is going to either have to sign its upcoming UFA/RFA to bridge type cheaper deals, or replace them from within with cheaper options and let them walk. Luckily for us on defense we have some good young, cheaper, depth emerging in the form of Bear, Jones, Bouchard, and possibly Lagesson. Unfortunately for us we need to address forward depth from external, so we are going to be strapped this year on doing anything, but will have some slight breathing room next year to try to add in some spots.

Any contender is going to be in the same, if not worse position, as us by next offseason.

15. Smartguy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    For the 2021-22 season

It’s easily do able, why can’t that Larsson replacement be Bouchard? It just might have to be. At that point he will be in his D+4 season, and be 22, so he’s either starting to make it or not at that point, that saves cap right there.

So a backup goalie say 2M
    3C say 3M
    Middle six winger say 3M

That still would leave you with 8M over 3 middle 6 forwards, probably 2 of which come in around 1-1.5, leaving you 4-5M if you wanted to go bigger fish hunting.

Luckily for us we do have some young defensive options that may be able to help us get by in Bouchard and Jones, and I think could plug a hole for Larsson.You also glossed over the fact that I said in a pinch next offseason the numbers on a Neal buyout are quite favorable, and likely for that matter, and would save yet another 3.83M against the cap to add a more impactful forward at that point.

IMO after next season we are far from being as tight as many think, and especially when compared to other teams who will be trying to contend. Teams like Tampa, who are already tight, will have to gut there depth just to survive.

This offseason we are stuck, and essentially just going to take this roster into next year, which isn’t a bad thing considering it’s likely to be a shortened season also.

16. Al from New Jersey Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    We don't need the McDavid and Draisaitl caphits to start doing anything to become cap friendly.

They already are

17. Dazed and Confused Ludicrous speed, GO!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Tbt, I wonder how likely Russell is to pull a Brodziak or Ference this offseason, and just close out his final year on LTIR. He's an undersized defenceman who has never been afraid to put his body on the line, so I don't think it would be difficult for him to find a medical reason.

Hell, the way they were talking about his concussion this spring made it sound like he was done. (Of course, Green got injured and Russell was suddenly ready to go a game or two later...)

nally likes this.
  18. Took a pill in Sbisa 2showToffoliIwascool

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    33 seems a bit young to be going down that route

Mcnotloilersfan likes this.
  19. Fourier Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I don't think that it is true that Ottawa is the only place that makes sense for Russell. LA for example has a ton of cap space and McLellan loved Russell. Right now he might he might well be better than any defenseman other than Doughty who is signed for next year.

Russell could also make sense in Winnipeg especially if the Oilers retained say $1M. I suspect that next year the Jets will be very conscious of actual dollars spent since they are a team that is careful with their budget and very dependent on local gate revenue. With Buff gone they likely have the cap space to fit Russell in. With $1M retained and after the signing bonus is paid Russell costs $1.125M in real dollars which is actually a bargain for a solid veteran bottom six defender.

Detroit could also use him. So could Montreal. He'd even help a team like Colorado for one year. There are also possible three way deals to open up options.

Russell is a guy who gets no respect on HF but who tends to have great respect from the players and coaches he plays with. Which is more meaningful? So yes his cap hit makes things more of a challenge but his salary also compensates for that at a time when actual revenue is pretty meaningful.

20. Fourier Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Add Nurse into this as well. This especially true because the Oilers can structure the deal so that the player gets less money in years where escrow is going to be high and more money via signing bonuses when local revenues are more likely to return.

21. Mr Positive Cap Crunch Incoming

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    This may be over thinking things, but if we get knocked out of the play-ins, and win the 1st pick, would you trade that pick for #3 and #5? Dorion on Sportsnet hinted that he'd do that.

I know Lafreniere is comparable to MacKinnon, but can we afford that at all, especially playing next to Drai or McDavid? Getting a lesser player like Stutzle (who would still be amazing) plus perhaps a #1D in Drysdale is awfully tempting to me.

22. Captain Controversy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Electrician.
    Yeah I think the Oilers will be one of the few teams that will do fine with the current cap structure.
    As for Toronto....

23. Mcnotloilersfan I'm here, I'm bored

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    That's a tough call.

Normally I'd say yes but there's extra value to Lafrenieres contract over the flat cap.

If we won the first, I'd draft him and trade high picks over the next 3 years to clear cap space and add to the roster.

Trade Lafrenier after year 3 to restock the cupboards.

24. Canovin 1% is the new 11.5%

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    While Lafreniere is amazing, I'd take Stutzle and Drysdale over him easily

25. Mcnotloilersfan I'm here, I'm bored

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Depends who LA takes at 2. Byfield would be a smart pick. He plays like Kopitar and who better to mentor him...