Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Painted Yourself into a Corner Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
If they keep struggling they'll trade for a goalie. Parayko is so untouchable to them, especially considering they now have great center depth with ROR - Schenn - Bozak

Perhaps a Koskinen for Schmaltz deal night be had while Koskinen still has some shine on him.

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
Perhaps a Koskinen for Schmaltz deal night be had while Koskinen still has some shine on him.

Koskinen at $2.5M? To a capped Blues team? Or any team? Without at least a pick attached? I've never seen a GM sign so many net negative contracts in my life with chia

Reactions: Raoul Duke

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Imagine instead of MacT "testing" with a 1 year deal that brought him to UFA we actually signed him at a good price longterm, say 5x5.
Would be amazing to have on this team

If he would have us I would still look into trading back for him. Would likely take a 1st+ though, tough to do.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Imagine instead of MacT "testing" with a 1 year deal that brought him to UFA we actually signed him at a good price longterm, say 5x5.
Would be amazing to have on this team

If he would have us I would still look into trading back for him. Would likely take a 1st+ though, tough to do.
Assuming We are talking about Perry here... Giving Petry 5x5 at that would have been comparable to giving Benning 5x5 this offseason.
Or Nurse 7x7.
Petry was a whipping boy with minimal offense and a bad +/- in Edmonton.
17pts in a contract year followed by 15 before he got traded. Close to -50 in those 2 seasons.
Behind Larsson he would have been fine but then again so would have Schultz. Too bad we didn't have a Larsson like player to shelter the 2 that got away.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Assuming We are talking about Perry here... Giving Petry 5x5 at that would have been comparable to giving Benning 5x5 this offseason.
Or Nurse 7x7.
17pts in a contract year followed by 15 before he got traded. Close to -50 in those 2 seasons.
Behind Larsson he would have been fine but then again so would have Schultz. Too bad we didn't have a Larsson like player to shelter the 2 that got away.

Up to the GM to understand what he has of course. Petry was our only player that came close to keeping his head above water against top competition. By analytics he looked good. The +/- was a result of goalies that couldn't stop a beach ball and the relentless amount of top competition he had to face with no support. A good GM would understand this and understand what he had with Petry, but MacT wanted to chase a unicorn with Nikitin and was in love with Schultz and felt he had to reserve his big commitments to those 2. Petry only wanted ~4M long term before the "show me" deal MacT insisted on. MacT was quoted saying the 4M price point was not something he wanted to give too many D (when talking about why he didn't sign petry long term), this was after he gave Nikitin 4.5M, lol.

Sigh, when will the Oilers have decent management...never?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Or Nurse 7x7.

You sure remember things differently than I did. Petry was our best defenseman back then and the only shelter that Schultz had. The only beef that I had with Petry is that his offense never came around for us. he was big, physical, had a big shot, etc. He would get beaten laterally too often for my liking but this was far from a throwaway player.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Exactly, I remember telling a friend who is a fan of a different team that Petry could be on a top pairing as a number two back when he played for us. He told me I was crazy. Maybe he is only a #3/4 but we could kill for a decent #3/4 right now and for the last 5 years.

So management should have been able to see that. Might be hard to evaluate players in the decade of darkness though. When people stop playing hard early because the season is over before American Thanksgiving.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Drouin fetched Sergachev a legit top 4 dman and possible top pairing man in the making! I’m sure if JP landed that same return you’d be satisfied? In fact I’d trade JP today for Sergachev!
Drouin also had some proven results and had a big playoffs as well

Reactions: CycloneSweep

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You sure remember things differently than I did. Petry was our best defenseman back then and the only shelter that Schultz had. The only beef that I had with Petry is that his offense never came around for us. he was big, physical, had a big shot, etc. He would get beaten laterally too often for my liking but this was far from a throwaway player.
Petry should've been dealt before the season. Shouldn't have even signed him. Should've dealt him and let the new team give him a 4-5 year deal. Instead our GM blew his load on Nikitin/Ference and started making stupid comments like Schultz is a Norris quality d-man

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Revisionist history. The management's poor decisions are what ultimately resulted in our magic lottery ticket. In the end all of it was worth it. It's just mildly amusing both of those guys still have jobs within the organization.

Had Petry re-signed with us, he eventually would've had to be traded considering his cap essentially would've been representing Nikita Nikitin's salary at the time. I'm not going to argue that trading him was the best thing to do--it wasn't. But had we kept him over Schultz, he still wouldn't have been an Oiler today.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Petry should've been dealt before the season. Shouldn't have even signed him. Should've dealt him and let the new team give him a 4-5 year deal. Instead our GM blew his load on Nikitin/Ference and started making stupid comments like Schultz is a Norris quality d-man

Which is why Petry left, Rumor was that petry was open to resigning, but the oilers told him that they wanted to resign Schultz first and then they would worry about him. Despite him being more proven, management told him to take a back seat

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Revisionist history. The management's poor decisions are what ultimately resulted in our magic lottery ticket. In the end all of it was worth it. It's just mildly amusing both of those guys still have jobs within the organization.

Had Petry re-signed with us, he eventually would've had to be traded considering his cap essentially would've been representing Nikita Nikitin's salary at the time. I'm not going to argue that trading him was the best thing to do--it wasn't. But had we kept him over Schultz, he still wouldn't have been an Oiler today.

No Mac T and Eakins equals no Mcdavid. Chiarelli might not be the best at trades but him and his staff are excellent at drafting and developing. We have an excellent prospect pool right now even though there are no high picks in it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No Mac T and Eakins equals no Mcdavid. Chiarelli might not be the best at trades but him and his staff are excellent at drafting and developing. We have an excellent prospect pool right now even though there are no high picks in it.
This is very much up for debate right now.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Or Nurse 7x7.

Yeah certain fans hated Petry and pointing out his bad +/- (which happens a lot to good players on bad teams) just shows that some haven't learned a damn thing since.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well we stopped picking guys like Mitch Moroz in the 2nd round and whatever loser BCHL player Stu liked in the draft. So there is at a minimum some marginal improvement.
Yes, the Oilers aren't the worst drafting team in the league anymore but their stud at #4 back in 2016 hasn't seen a ton of development since he was drafted. Hoping that changes soon.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

I don't think 19 extra games of Jeff Petry is the difference between fluking out in the McDavid lottery or not.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think most of us would point to our coaching staff on that one.
It's definitely valid, but they still kept him up with the big club far too long during his rookie season.

It certainly doesn't help that management and coaching are nowhere near on the same page. I'm not even convinced they're reading the same book.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yes, the Oilers aren't the worst drafting team in the league anymore but their stud at #4 back in 2016 hasn't seen a ton of development since he was drafted. Hoping that changes soon.
He's seen plenty of development. The staff have been focused on making him a more aggressive two way forward. He just hasn't seen a significant uptick in offensive production, which is generally the only thing that some hockey fans seem to notice.

The kid just needs to bring that game more consistently and stop taking boneheaded penalties and that offense may start coming.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't think 19 extra games of Jeff Petry is the difference between fluking out in the McDavid lottery or not.
There was plenty more mismanagement than the Petry decision that went into our position in the draft lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad