Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Painted Yourself into a Corner Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It is curious though.
Why exactly is he scratched? They're D that much better?
To set an example for their young group? He's arguably their most talented veteran. If he doesn't bring his A game, he sits.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
It is curious though.
Why exactly is he scratched? They're D that much better?

Looking strictly at the stats:
He was -1 with 20+ minutes played in each of their first two losses (Nashville and Buffalo), which is really not that bad.

But...he was -2 in just over 7 minutes total of TOI against Carolina so looks like his defensive play drew the ire of his new coach and was benched. Now, they lost 8-5 against Carolina that night so it's not like he was the only culprit, however it looks like he's being benched to wake him up.

I don't think there's anything too see here people, move along (unless this becomes a recurring thing).

Reactions: RegDunlop

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
It's a relatively new concept and until now has been unheard of 'round these parts. With the Oilers, you play the mistakes out of your game. That's the punishment.

Yes apparently so. Only if you have sub par games on D and PP though right?
Oh and maybe in net?

I mean JP and others can't can they?!

Reactions: McFuhryous

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Shattenkirk has a modified no trade where the player submits a list of 10 teams. I would be interested to know if he's willing to come to Edmonton.
He wasn't willing to sign an extension in Edmonton in the summer of 2016 before we acquired Larsson. Can't really see a reason why that would have changed now. Maybe if we were still a team on the rise. But after our one good season, we're back to floundering.

Until the Oilers can prove to be a consistent contender you can pretty comfortably assume anyone who has a 10-15 team no trade list will have the Oilers on it. Might be a few exceptions of course, but for a guy like Shattenkirk who we know has already turned Edmonton down once... no reason to think that would have changed.

Reactions: Aerrol

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I got to wonder if the story with Shatty is that he wanted to go to NY so badly, and got his wish, and now he has too much fun in that city and lost his edge. I doubt anyone would want him without more info, especially at that price tag

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I always scratch my head at people who praise Shattenkirk. His numbers aren't really that good for an offensive d-man. Jake Gardiner has had more points in a season, and his career high is one higher than Sekera's (given Shattenkirk has reached close to that number many more times).

Edit: I looked at the numbers again, maybe not the most fair comparison given how much time he usually misses per season. His PPG is actually pretty impressive.

So now I'm switching my criticism to he's a bandaid. Never played the full 82. Seems to miss about 10 games a season.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I always scratch my head at people who praise Shattenkirk. His numbers aren't really that good for an offensive d-man. Jake Gardiner has had more points in a season, and his career high is one higher than Sekera's (given Shattenkirk has reached close to that number many more times).

Edit: I looked at the numbers again, maybe not the most fair comparison given how much time he usually misses per season. His PPG is actually pretty impressive.

So now I'm switching my criticism to he's a bandaid. Never played the full 82. Seems to miss about 10 games a season.
Shattenkirk would be the 2nd best defender on this team behind Larsson.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Big NOOOO to Shattenkirk. He didn't want to come here before so why now? New York can eat you up pretty quick. Ask Stanton last night after the Yankees lost

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
To be fair, circumstances change and he might be open to it if he continues to be a healthy scratch in New York.
Not really. We still suck

I have to think both NYI and NJ would want him and that he'd be open to playing for them sooner than us.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Big NOOOO to Shattenkirk. He didn't want to come here before so why now? New York can eat you up pretty quick. Ask Stanton last night after the Yankees lost
This mentality blows me away. Shattenkirk is exactly the player that a large portion of this board believes would fill a big hole on the back end. Situations change, and the fact that he didn't want to extend here before shouldn't be the reason to turn your nose up at acquiring him. IF he's willing to come here and IF the price to acquire him is reasonable it's an absolute no brainer. Three years left on his deal would be a good term to have him as a stopgap for Bouchard/Bear, and if those two blow the doors off in a year or two the odds are Shattenkirk's value would increase after a couple years on the PP here where the team would be able to flip him and make up some of the assets that it took to get him.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I'm not Shattenkirk's biggest fan, but he's undeniably one of if not the best PPQB in the NHL.

If he's open to coming here this time around you would have to explore it IMO.

Reactions: Aerrol

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
This mentality blows me away. Shattenkirk is exactly the player that a large portion of this board believes would fill a big hole on the back end. Situations change, and the fact that he didn't want to extend here before shouldn't be the reason to turn your nose up at acquiring him. IF he's willing to come here and IF the price to acquire him is reasonable it's an absolute no brainer. Three years left on his deal would be a good term to have him as a stopgap for Bouchard/Bear, and if those two blow the doors off in a year or two the odds are Shattenkirk's value would increase after a couple years on the PP here where the team would be able to flip him and make up some of the assets that it took to get him.

This mentality blows me away ffs. Shattenkirk is not even dressing for a terrible team and you want him on our team. He didn’t even want to come here before for more money and you are saying go get him. A big SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad