Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | OE L Yes?

OEL, EL Yes or EL No?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Didn't like the OEL trade talks at first, especially his contract but the longer I think about it I'm slowly warming up to it.

Let's face it, McDavid and Drai aren't getting younger, and players as good as they should at least get a sniff at the conference finals by year 5-6.

I admit OEL's contract might suck the last 3 years of his contract but we can't wait forever for "everything to pan out"....it might never happen.

It's like those women holding out and waiting for the "perfect prince charming" to marry....rarely happens.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Agreed, if it came down to it I’d rather spend the money on him than AA. I’d like to give both a shot at similar dollars if Russel can be moved out or something.
It's all dependent on what the UFA market is like. If guys are scrambling for one year deals, I set my sights a bit higher on Granlund. But I like the potential idea of letting AA and Puljujarvi run wild.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
It's all dependent on what the UFA market is like. If guys are scrambling for one year deals, I set my sights a bit higher on Granlund. But I like the potential idea of letting AA and Puljujarvi run wild.

Granlund would be a good get if the dollars work. Him or Dadonov would be huge as a more ‘sure thing’ winger for Connor.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm not sure this is true. Klefbom, Nurse, Bear and Jones all possess sufficient skating ability. Even Larsson contributes to the offensive cycle when it gets established. What we don't really have is that real point threat that changes the angle quickly to get good shots through. But it's not entirely necessary.
They have sufficient skating ability. But what is needed is elite skating ability. There is a difference. The good teams all have it. Heiskinin, Makar, Quinn, etc. And a lot of times, to get a shot through by changing the angle is relative to elite skating.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Our defencemen to this point, do not have the skating ability to move deep into the offensive end to make plays and help out the forwards and then recover to come back and defend when necessary. Maybe Jones and Broberg can change that.

None of our Dmen are puck moving dmen who can make a good pass to our forwards except Bear and Jones.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Didn't like the OEL trade talks at first, especially his contract but the longer I think about it I'm slowly warming up to it.

Let's face it, McDavid and Drai aren't getting younger, and players as good as they should at least get a sniff at the conference finals by year 5-6.

I admit OEL's contract might suck the last 3 years of his contract but we can't wait forever for "everything to pan out"....it might never happen.

It's like those women holding out and waiting for the "perfect prince charming" to marry....rarely happens.

THANK YOU!

Lot's of teams who have gone far to the Cup Final have signed or made deals for players like this. LA signed Doughty to a bad contract (as an example). We can't just keep waiting and waiting for the perfect dman with a perfect contract to come running up to Edmonton.

Reactions: Magnum23

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
They have sufficient skating ability. But what is needed is elite skating ability. There is a difference. The good teams all have it. Heiskinin, Makar, Quinn, etc. And a lot of times, to get a shot through by changing the angle is relative to elite skating.

It's not just elite skating that we need. All of those dmen can make a great first pass out of the zone. None of our D can do that except Bear and he's still a rookie

Reactions: bobbythebrain

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So you're saying the Oilers are missing an elite offensive defenseman?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I'm gonna frame this and stick it to my wall.

I never said I'd trade either, but Draisaitl just put up 110 points in 71 games. Guys a friggen beast and with a 4M lower cap hit I'd move Mcdavid first. With the haul you'd get back from Mcdavid and the extra cap you can probably build an elite team. In saying that I'm glad we don't have to trade either, and will hopefully have them here a long time.

Reactions: Darkwinter

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
While I can agree with this in theory..not necessarily true 100%.
PP's like Washington have basically been the same. And sometimes they do get figured out like Edm's did a few years back...actually half the league's when they all attempted that shot/pass/tip slot setup.

The biggest thing is players execution, which Backstrom has done for years.
The Oil are very lucky in that they have both Drai and McD who can always keep the d guessing with their passing and movements. I can agree tho that adding in a point should help
I think a big reason Washington’s PP has always been so successful is because they have everyone on the ice as a legitimate threat to score. If you take away Ovy, you leave someone else wide open, like a big point shot, or a wrister from the half wall, or the player in the bumper, etc. Adding in a legit scoring threat from the point will add another dimension to our PP and that isn’t a bad thing. Ideally that’ll be Bouchard eventually. But adding in OEL wouldn’t hurt.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Its extremely difficult to come up with a package for OEL that actually saves Arizona money next year but works cap wise for us (or really anyone, not too many teams can take a 8 mill cap hit without sending at least 4 mill back).

The dumb signing bonus he got really screws things up.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Its extremely difficult to come up with a package for OEL that actually saves Arizona money next year but works cap wise for us (or really anyone, not too many teams can take a 8 mill cap hit without sending at least 4 mill back).

The dumb signing bonus he got really screws things up.
1st + Russell + Chiasson + Samorukov

6.15 cap compared to 8.25, but 3.65 salary compared to 54.

They’ll probably want Bouchard or Broberg instead of Samorukov, but if their owner is desperate to shed salary and most teams can’t offer 50+ million in cash savings, maybe they agree.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Granlund would be a good get if the dollars work. Him or Dadonov would be huge as a more ‘sure thing’ winger for Connor.

Dadonov I think will be out of our price range, Granlund would be ideal, Toffoli depending on price but probably out of our price range. I’d have time for Craig Smith on a 1 year deal. I don’t mind Galchnyuk either but with him AA and possibly Puljujarvi back in the mix that’s a few projects.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Your point being? If its OEL related and negativity towards him, go ahead and attack lol
No more of a comment on how we don't have a Heiskanen or a Hughes. They don't have a McDavid or a Draisaitl. We don't need what other teams have necessarily.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If Parayko is available and can be had for 14 + Bouchard + Russel, I’d try to get them to add Kostin in for Benson and pull the trigger.

One of the best shutdown dmen in the league who also happens to be a 6’6 smooth skating guy from St. Albert. His shot is insanely good and there is mighty untapped offensive potential there if he gets #1pp time and ice time with McDrai. Could be a 20+ goal, 50+ point horse on the backend that plays in all situations but is stuck behind a top 5 dman in the league (Pietro) in St.Louis.

He’d be a legit #1 defender, in the prime of his career and signed for 2 seasons. On top of it all he’s a hometown boy. Extremely low chance however that he’d actually be available I think...

But, if he is we should jump on it.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
If Parayko is available and can be had for 14 + Bouchard + Russel, I’d try to get them to add Kostin in for Benson and pull the trigger.

One of the best shutdown dmen in the league who also happens to be a 6’6 smooth skating guy from St. Albert. His shot is insanely good and there is mighty untapped offensive potential there if he gets #1pp time and ice time with McDrai. Could be a 20+ goal, 50+ point horse on the backend that plays in all situations but is stuck behind a top 5 dman in the league (Pietro) in St.Louis.

He’d be a legit #1 defender, in the prime of his career and signed for 2 seasons. On top of it all he’s a hometown boy. Extremely low chance however that he’d actually be available I think...

If Pietrangelo leaves, there is no way they trade him

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Also, we're saying Parayko is in the prime of his career at 27 years old. OEL is only 2 years older yet he's on the decline to majority of the people on here?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

That's way too much to give up for 2 seasons. If he was sign for 5 or 6 maybe.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
1st + Russell + Chiasson + Samorukov

6.15 cap compared to 8.25, but 3.65 salary compared to 54.

They’ll probably want Bouchard or Broberg instead of Samorukov, but if their owner is desperate to shed salary and most teams can’t offer 50+ million in cash savings, maybe they agree.

I'm talking money owed by Arizona *next season*. Arizona is not paying OEL 54 million dollars next year.

Likely the owner wants to save money for next year because of COVID lost revenue but coming up with a trade that satisifies that need is difficult because OEL only has 4 million in actual salary for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->