Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: No News is Good News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Hmm. I think getting a rental slightly earlier would help us to get into that playoff position. If a rental is the difference between a wild card spot and missing the playoffs, I’ll take the rental any day.

It depends on the price. If the main pieces moving are this and next year's seconds for example, I'd probably be okay with that, but this teams issues won't be solved with a couple of forward rentals imo. Our firsts and futures need to be held onto unless it's a long term solution.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I'm a bit surprised Chiarelli is interested in Zucc as he seems too soft for a Chia target (but he also got Spooner lol), but I'd prefer Zucc. Better skater and more skill with the puck imo. Probably more expensive though. 2nd plus Lagesson?
I’d prefer Zucc too. As for him being too soft for Chia, don’t be fooled by his height. He is very physical and regularly throws giant old fashioned hip checks.

Btw my phone autocorrected Zucc to Zuchini :laugh:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
My whole argument against trading Eb’s is that we could have re-signed him at a lower rate when his current deal was done. We haven’t made the playoffs or had secondary scoring since he left and I don’t think that’s a coincidence. Ryan Strome was always a bust, there was no potential there for him when we made the deal.

For the record, I was never a fan of the trade. He was a depressed asset (because of performance and comments made by mgmt), that was, IMO, traded for emotional reasons (mgmt was disappointed in his playoffs, particularly that game losing shift vs ANA), and the rational reason to trade him (cap) wasn't going to be an issue until this season.

Strome was a big risk, I agree on that. Somehow management convinced themselves the situation in summer 2017 required action and he was the best return possible... my view, bad timing, bad return.

But time marches on, and if people have realized the grass isn't greener, I see that as more positive than negative.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Sekera is skating right now. No reason to think at worse he’s not a bottom pairing guy. He looked rusty last year but started to turn it around by the end of the season. If he can come back and be as good as Russell that’s all we need. If he can get back to being a 30+ point solid 2 way dman with a good pass it’s even better.

He is skating now and struggling with his first step (I think it was Rishaug that said this, maybe Gregor?) I think you’ll see him go to Bakersfield after the all-star game for conditioning. I’m not optimistic he’ll be any help this season at all, fingers crossed he can be but I’m skeptical.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
It depends on the price. If the main pieces moving are this and next year's seconds for example, I'd probably be okay with that, but this teams issues won't be solved with a couple of forward rentals imo. Our firsts and futures need to be held onto unless it's a long term solution.
I agree with that. I would like to improve the team as much as possible but we are also in no position to be handing out futures. Pull-up and the 1st are untouchable for me.

Reactions: Hopelesslucicfan

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Zuccarello and Eberle would be fine as cheap rentals--meaning a Grabner-level return. Both may be convinced to take less on a contract extension. Absolutely no to Ferland. He is a pure rental. Trade for Maroon.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Zuccarello and Eberle would be fine as cheap rentals--meaning a Grabner-level return. Both may be convinced to take less on a contract extension. Absolutely no to Ferland. He is a pure rental. Trade for Maroon.

What makes Ferland a pure rental to you? Age? (vs Zucc or Maroon)

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What makes Ferland a pure rental to you? Age? (vs Zucc or Maroon)
Age being one thing. But he's also surging in terms of production and heading into the peak years of his career. He's going to go to free agency this summer looking for a long-term contract. The other two are coming off of their first big deals and both are struggling offensively. There is a possibility that either one may consider a one or two-year deal to possibly rekindle some of their production allowing them a potential retirement contract afterwards.

I would actually the leaning towards Eberle if he truly is available at a reasonable cost. Simply because we know that he's comfortable in this market.

In regards to Maroon, I'd be telling him to buy a house right now in Edmonton. His career fell off the Earth the moment he left Edmonton.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Aerrol

North

Jun 25, 2009

Apparently Ferland is looking for Tom Wilson money.

Pass on Maroon unless we’re sending someone like Manning the other way.

Along with more skill, we need to get faster.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Hmm. I think getting a rental slightly earlier would help us to get into that playoff position. If a rental is the difference between a wild card spot and missing the playoffs, I’ll take the rental any day.

Interesting thought. On January 25th, 2006 the Oilers were in 8th place 2 games up on the surging Sharks, 4 up on the Ducks and 5 up on the Wild. The next day they traded for Tarnstrom and Spacek who helped keep them in the race. But alone, weren't enough as they were still 8th place but 2 games up on the Ducks, 6 up on the Sharks and 9 on the Wild, two nights before the deadline.

On the deadline they picked up Roloson and Samsonov. It still took them to game 81 to clinch a playoff spot, and they were ultimately passed by both Anaheim and San Jose, but they ended up overtaking Vancouver and LA to earn the 8th seed and gradually gelled for a cup run.

Many think those early trades ultimately are what gave them the run. That said 2006 they were truly strong 5-on-5 team that had questionable goaltending. I think they have more issues today than that team had.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Could you imagine if Chia wasn't a complete idiot and he acquired Hoffman last offseason when Ottawa was shopping him for penny on the dollar?

Draisailt-McDavid on the first line and Hoffman-RNH on the second line...

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why would Chia go and acquire back Eberle? Can't see this happening at all.
Proven chemistry with RNH. Right shot. Relatively cheap acquisition cost. Potential re-sign candidate.

We're looking for a player or player(s) who can improve our scoring depth. He'd qualify at the right cost.

And yes, he'd cost more than Spooner. We traded him in a deal looking for immediate salary relief. He's now a playoff rental.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Hitch has Chia's phone and won't give it back. Trent and Glen are sitting on Chia and holding him down while Chia is trying to grab his phone back from Hitch.

Nicholson is locked outside trying to get back in so he can get Chia his phone back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->