Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Moar NCAA FA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If we can agree that Jordan Eberle is a bad fit for this Oilers team, then why the hell would we replace him with Jordan Eberle lite? Chia will not be looking to bring in a player with a similar skill set if he deals Eberle. I'm not talking about a big power forward either. Size is not really a factor here anymore, but the Eb's replacement will almost certainly be a competitive SOB who plays with fire and gumption. Ryan Strome would be one of the last players Chia would target.

Because Ryan Strome wouldn't be an Eberle replacement, he'd be a Desharnais replacement. And even then, that replacement would be for about 60 games until we trade for a playoff rental and then Strome would become a depth piece, depending on how he fared during the regular season. He's a player who can provide some offensive depth and can plug in anywhere in your lineup in the event of an injury. He's also a reasonable ask as a part of a return for Eberle and he doesn't weigh down your cap situation whatsoever as he's an RFA at year's end.

My thought is to make the third line more of a scoring threat against other third lines during the regular season. Getting a playoff face-off ace for game one of the regular season doesn't make a lick of sense if he can't provide you any offense.

As for the competitiveness BS...just don't. NYI fans are hoping Vegas takes Brock Nelson over Strome. Reason? Competitiveness.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Because Ryan Strome wouldn't be an Eberle replacement, he'd be a Desharnais replacement. And even then, that replacement would be for about 60 games until we trade for a playoff rental and then Strome would become a depth piece, depending on how he fared during the regular season. He's a player who can provide some offensive depth and can plug in anywhere in your lineup in the event of an injury. He's also a reasonable ask as a part of a return for Eberle and he doesn't weigh down your cap situation whatsoever as he's an RFA at year's end.

My thought is to make the third line more of a scoring threat against other third lines during the regular season. Getting a playoff face-off ace for game one of the regular season doesn't make a lick of sense if he can't provide you any offense.

As for the competitiveness BS...just don't. NYI fans are hoping Vegas takes Brock Nelson over Strome. Reason? Competitiveness.

Draisaitl took almost as many faceoffs this year playing mostly on wing as Strome has over his entire career. He's basically a RH RNH in terms of faceoff ability. You think he's suited to play C in the Pacific division?

We finally have some semblance of balance in the forward group and instead of wanting to keep pulling in the same direction and embracing Chia's philosophy you want to revert back to the uber-skilled unbalanced model you clung to for so long though the rebuild. That's how I see things at least.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Maroon - McDavid - Caggiula
Lucic - Draisaitl - Slepyshev
xxxxxx - Nuge - Puljujarvi
Pitlick - Letestu - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - xxxxx/Russell
Nurse - Benning

Talbot
Brossoit

Based on how the playoffs are going I feel this should be the template in the off-season. This group is establishing themselves.

Eberle and Pouliot somehow need to go.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - xxxxx/Russell
Nurse - Benning

Talbot
Brossoit

Based on how the playoffs are going I feel this should be the template in the off-season. This group is establishing themselves.

I agree with this. Could even get a vet RW instead (i'd really like Williams for the right price), and move Caggiula back to LW

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - xxxxx/Russell
Nurse - Benning

Talbot
Brossoit

I like your template but I'd rather see them with at least 1 RW with more then a season experience. Maybe a guy like Jannik Hansen/Craig Smith, cheaper then Eberle, good skaters, good two way game, good 5v5 scoring. Hopefully Puljujarvi can take a step and play in the top 6 riding shot gun with either 97 or 29. Think a Nuge, Slepyshev, Caggiula 3rd line could thrive. I'm really hoping Chia's plan is deep down the middle and cheap on the wings, have lots of cheap options and different looks and hopefully someone can gel in a top 6 roles playing with McD or Drai.

Hopefully find an upgrade at 2nd pairing RHD but if not have Russell as a fall back on July 1.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
RNH and a small plus for Tobias Rieder and Anthony DeAngelo.

Eberle for a 3rd line center

Do Rieder and Drai have experience playing together for Germany? I think those two with Lucic could make for a great 2nd line. They could take the hard match ups too. Rieder has a very unheralded two way game.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - xxxxx/Russell
Nurse - Benning

Talbot
Brossoit

I find myself wanting to defend Pouliot.

It is...uncomfortable to say the least.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

He's played well in his role these playoffs on the 4th line, but he's not scoring at all and at 4M thats just not something you want to keep around. If he was playing like he did the last 2 seasons I'd have no issue keeping him.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Strome is apparently a lazy floater who is neither good as a C nor as a winger as per NYI fans. I would stay away unless its for Eberle or Pouliot. No way I give them Nuge for him.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

Do Rieder and Drai have experience playing together for Germany? I think those two with Lucic could make for a great 2nd line. They could take the hard match ups too. Rieder has a very unheralded two way game.

Those are awful trades, no other way to say it,who in their right mind would trade RNH for a 3LW and a prospect, and as far as Eberle goes I want to trade him too but he's still a 50 point guy and that's worth a lot more than a third line Centre.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

I think some one will give him a chance he had two really good years before this season, he just need a summer to re-set but I think he's probably on his way out despite being a good candidate for a bounce back season.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Those are awful trades, no other way to say it,who in their right mind would trade RNH for a 3LW and a prospect, and as far as Eberle goes I want to trade him too but he's still a 50 point guy and that's worth a lot more than a third line Centre.

Agreed as frustrating as Eberle was this year, he put up 50 points this year which is still good enough to be in the top 100 players in scoring. He's basically an elite second line winger with first potential during the regular season.

Don't get me wrong, is still trade him but not for a second (unless we get a UFA that needs that cap space)

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Draisaitl took almost as many faceoffs this year playing mostly on wing as Strome has over his entire career. He's basically a RH RNH in terms of faceoff ability. You think he's suited to play C in the Pacific division?

We finally have some semblance of balance in the forward group and instead of wanting to keep pulling in the same direction and embracing Chia's philosophy you want to revert back to the uber-skilled unbalanced model you clung to for so long though the rebuild. That's how I see things at least.

I actually don't mind your trade suggestion, as I have always lamented letting Rieder get away, and DeAngelo has a ton of talent (though he has a pretty hefty stink of 'locker room cancer' floating about him at this point), but these two posts are pretty contradictory and I couldn't help but chuckle.

"Boo Strome! You're stuck in the mindset of focusing too much on skill! We should get Rieder and DeAngelo instead, two players who are almost purely known for their skill! (Esp. DeAngelo)!"

Again, I actually don't mind your trade, as I think gambling on someone like DeAngelo is what we should be doing to fill our need for an offensive RHD, but the contrast was too good to pass up. :laugh:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I actually don't mind your trade suggestion, as I have always lamented letting Rieder get away, and DeAngelo has a ton of talent (though he has a pretty hefty stink of 'locker room cancer' floating about him at this point), but these two posts are pretty contradictory and I couldn't help but chuckle.

"Boo Strome! You're stuck in the mindset of focusing too much on skill! We should get Rieder and DeAngelo instead, two players who are almost purely known for their skill! (Esp. DeAngelo)!"

Again, I actually don't mind your trade, as I think gambling on someone like DeAngelo is what we should be doing to fill our need for an offensive RHD, but the contrast was too good to pass up. :laugh:

Firstly, I was talking about the forward group only in the post you quoted.

Ask Coyotes fans. Rieder is one of their most defensively reliable forwards. He is a fixture on their PK and led all forwards in shorthanded icetime, so you comparing his game to Strome now has me laughing. Have you watched Rieder play???

As for DeAngelo, we do happen to have a need for a RH PP QB. IF the organization thinks Benning can slot in on the 2nd pair next year a guy like DeAngelo as the #6 makes sense. He could be the next Shattenkirk in terms of PP production.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Face-offs improve with experience and also mean very little during the regular season. Statistically the difference between a 43% and a 47% face-off man is very minimal. In the playoffs it becomes an issue, but like I've said, a face-off ace is attainable at the deadline if absolutely necessary.

And really, how does a third line of Caggiula-Strome-Kassian throw off 'the balance' the Oilers' lineup has? The third line had a laundry list of visitors this season--a number of them not even NHL calibre players. And for a forum where near half of it's posters are lining up a green Jesse Puljujarvi next to our 100 point center, it's necessary for me to question the talk of 'balance' in any lineup.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
I agree on DeAngelo as a target, but we only really need him if benning moves up to play with Sekera or the Nurse/Benning pairing upgrades to 2nd pairing
Also Duclair seems to have fell from favor, he's a gamble and maybe not what we're looking for but if they like pouliot as reported what else is added to get it done?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Strome is apparently a lazy floater who is neither good as a C nor as a winger as per NYI fans. I would stay away unless its for Eberle or Pouliot. No way I give them Nuge for him.

Who's trading Nuge for him? Eberle for Halak/Strome/Dal Colle.

And Strome caught fire after Capuano was canned. He was producing steadily under Weight before he hurt his wrist. That's what I call a calculated risk.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

And yet that 3LW as you call him had two less 5 vs 5 points than RNH this year. He can actually bring a lot of what RNH brings to the Oilers with a strong forecheck and elite pk ability, only he makes one third the money. He can even fill RNH's role on the 2nd unit PP and we wouldn't miss much.

Eberle for a good 3C might be a loss in terms of point production, but it makes the Oilers a better team. I had to listen to the same **** all summer about how the Oilers were going to be worse offensively because they lost Hall's point production. Same type of scenario if Eberle goes for a 3C who can take tough minutes.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Face-offs improve with experience and also mean very little during the regular season. Statistically the difference between a 43% and a 47% face-off man is very minimal. In the playoffs it becomes an issue, but like I've said, a face-off ace is attainable at the deadline if absolutely necessary.

And really, how does a third line of Caggiula-Strome-Kassian throw off 'the balance' the Oilers' lineup has? The third line had a laundry list of visitors this season--a number of them not even NHL calibre players. And for a forum where near half of it's posters are lining up a green Jesse Puljujarvi next to our 100 point center, it's necessary for me to question the talk of 'balance' in any lineup.

A 3rd line of Cags/Strome/Kassian isn't the worst thing in the world as the line has a decent mix of skill sets. My issue would be running out McDavid, RNH, and Strome as your top 3 centers. That is where the balance is severely lacking.

I've seen a lot of posts by you lately talking about moves that make us a good regular season team. Well I've got news for you- the cup isn't won in the regular season.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
And yet that 3LW as you call him had two less 5 vs 5 points than RNH this year. He can actually bring a lot of what RNH brings to the Oilers with a strong forecheck and elite pk ability, only he makes one third the money. He can even fill RNH's role on the 2nd unit PP and we wouldn't miss much.

Eberle for a good 3C might be a loss in terms of point production, but it makes the Oilers a better team. I had to listen to the same **** all summer about how the Oilers were going to be worse offensively because they lost Hall's point production. Same type of scenario if Eberle goes for a 3C who can take tough minutes.

Disagree with your opinion of RNH, to me he's a 55 point guy, I see this season as an outlier, he will bounce be back to the 50 point mark.

Eberle for a 3c does not make us a better team, you can get way more value for Eberle and just sign a 3c, Hall's offense was definitely missed during the regular season, the team had no secondary scoring.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
A 3rd line of Cags/Strome/Kassian isn't the worst thing in the world as the line has a decent mix of skill sets. My issue would be running out McDavid, RNH, and Strome as your top 3 centers. That is where the balance is severely lacking.

I've seen a lot of posts by you lately talking about moves that make us a good regular season team. Well I've got news for you- the cup isn't won in the regular season.

The kings are built for the playoffs, but didnt even make it.

You still have to make the playoffs too.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
The kings are built for the playoffs, but didnt even make it.

You still have to make the playoffs too.

Agree with this.. Lets not forget Ebs, Nuge and Looch were red hot at the end of regular season... Take away games vs Cali teams and Eberle is pretty much a PPG player since mid Feb.

I am done with all of RNH, Ebs and Poo but there really is no rush to pawn them off. Chia still has over a year to make his moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad