Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Kassian's Days Numbered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
My thoughts on a deal with TO.

To Edm: Nylander+Dermott

To Tor: Nurse+Kassian+Puljujarvi

easy no from Leafs. Sorry to be mean here. Kassian with his contract has negative value. Puljujarvi is viewed by many to be a bust and Nurse is projkected to be either a 3 or 4 d man. Nylander is a top 6 player. Unless you are adding your first rounder in 2019, you guys do not have what it takes to get Nylander

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
We currently have two top four LHD under the age of 25. The depth isn't absolutely necessary today. I'm not sure why it'd even be a worry. Our current need for young NHL ready F depth is much higher than the need for longshot LHD prospect depth.

Dman take far longer to develop then forwards is why. We could draft a forward and he should be contributing in less then 3 years. A dman may take that long just to get into the league. They then need another 3 years worth of games to know what you got.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
easy no from Leafs. Sorry to be mean here. Kassian with his contract has negative value. Puljujarvi is viewed by many to be a bust and Nurse is projkected to be either a 3 or 4 d man. Nylander is a top 6 player. Unless you are adding your first rounder in 2019, you guys do not have what it takes to get Nylander

I’d add a 2nd but that’s as high as I go. Toronto doesn’t really have any leverage because if Nylander isn’t signed by Dec 1st he can’t play this season.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Dman take far longer to develop then forwards is why. We could draft a forward and he should be contributing in less then 3 years. A dman may take that long just to get into the league. They then need another 3 years worth of games to know what you got.
LHD is not a dire organizational need. Darnell Nurse is 23, Oscar Klefbom is 25.

Regardless, Samorukov's value is literally nothing.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
If Koskinen continues to outplay Talbot:

EDM: Matt Duchene (extended), Petr Mrazek

CAR: Talbot

OTT: EDM 2019 1st (top-10 protected), CAR 2019 2nd, Andrej Sekera

Rattie - McDavid - Draisaitl
Duchene - Nuge - Rieder

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Couple of moves I think could be decent way to upgrade roster and not lose any significantly valuable parts.

Oilers 3rd pick for Maroon

Talbot + Kassian + 5th rd pick for Faulk + McElhinney

Maroon-McDavid-Rattie
Rieder-Nuge-Drai
Caggiula-Strome-Marody
Lucic/Khaira-Brodziak-Chiasson

Klef-Lars
Nurse/Russell-Faulk
Nurse/Russell-Benning/Bear
Benning/Garrison

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Absolutely no to trading 1st round picks. At this point, we shouldn't be making any panic deals at all.

McDavid and Draisaitl are locked in long term. Better to be patient and have them happy in the last part of their deals, than to force some bad deals and end up like the Tavares era Islanders and have our guys want to leave the second that they can.

We need a new GM to come in so that there isn't a job on the line. Someone who has to take an 'observational year' by letting the prospects simmer in the AHL, and not making any major deals unless something too good to be true comes our way.

Lucic at best isn't movable until after his bonuses are paid this summer. I think our best hope is a compliance buyout in the new CBA.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Absolutely no to trading 1st round picks. At this point, we shouldn't be making any panic deals at all.

McDavid and Draisaitl are locked in long term. Better to be patient and have them happy in the last part of their deals, than to force some bad deals and end up like the Tavares era Islanders and have our guys want to leave the second that they can.

We need a new GM to come in so that there isn't a job on the line. Someone who has to take an 'observational year' by letting the prospects simmer in the AHL, and not making any major deals unless something too good to be true comes our way.

Lucic at best isn't movable until after his bonuses are paid this summer. I think our best hope is a compliance buyout in the new CBA.
can we send Lucic to Robidas island? they need to send him to the LTIR and get the cap relief

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Talbot and a conditional 5th for Howard, with Detroit retaining $1.1 million so the salaries are a wash. Both goalies are free agents and Talbot helps Detroit at securing a top 3 pick.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Do any big UFA signings work out for forwards over 29?

It's a wasteland of overpaid/underachieving players. Examples include: Lucic, Neal, Maroon, Beleskey, Clarkson, Moulson, Callahan, Backes, Eriksson.

I think the lesson is that cap space is more valuable than forwards on the down slope of their careers.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Thoughts on Varlamov in the offseason?

Great goalie, often injured. Would be looking for his last huge UFA contract.

Don't see any way the Oilers could be in on him or Stone or any of the UFAs at all.

Also not convinced its worth spending $$$ on UFA day. Usually ends up hurting teams in the long run.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Do any big UFA signings work out for forwards over 29?

It's a wasteland of overpaid/underachieving players. Examples include: Lucic, Neal, Maroon, Beleskey, Clarkson, Moulson, Callahan, Backes, Eriksson.

I think the lesson is that cap space is more valuable than forwards on the down slope of their careers.

The biggest one to watch will be Tavares. How will he look in year 3 and beyond. Is it even unsafe to go big for a superstar player?

Keep your draft picks Draft and develop well

Reactions: belair

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The biggest one to watch will be Tavares. How will he look in year 3 and beyond. Is it even unsafe to go big for a superstar player?

Something the Oilers have utterly failed in over the past dozen years to do. We cant barely pick first overall properly.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Something the Oilers have utterly failed in over the past dozen years to do. We cant barely pick first overall properly.

In some cases yes, in others no. Klef and Nurse were handled fine and I trust they will do the same with Bouchard. Petry was even brought up the right way. It is really forwards that we struggle with. We force them in way too early. Hopefully Pulju and Yama stay down for a while and gain that confidence back

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
@Mcnotloilersfan

Every blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
I see your Klefbom, Nurse and Petry and raise you this:

Edmonton Oilers Draft History at hockeydb.com

I'm well aware of our draft history, thanks. The problem before 2014 was our drafting methods. We wasted so many picks trying to draft a Lucic or Gryba instead of taking the best player available.

There is a lot of talent in the system now, and guys drafted outside of the first round are being brought on the right way. Bouchard and Yama, like many other first round picks, got early looks in the season and then sent down with instruction.

The only 1st round player that I have any issue with on how we have handled is Puljujarvi. We shouldnt have drafted him in the first place. The team clearly knew nothing about him considering they didn't even have a jersey ready for him. From there they forced him on the roster instead of letting him develop in Europe for a bit.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton

This I disagree with. Trade all draft picks and let someone else do the developing. Should get something decent for all the picks.
I think they need to be protected picks in case (when) we win the lottery of course.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Time to revisit voyonov? Also I remember how people were dead set against bringing Hoffman in. He looks like he's doing pretty good in Florida. 7 goals and 14 pts right now. Woulda looked ok next to draistaitl.
You really think Hoffman wanted to play in a Canadian market? He wanted to be out of the media spotlight and the Florida market provides that.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
This I disagree with. Trade all draft picks and let someone else do the developing. Should get something decent for all the picks.
I think they need to be protected picks in case (when) we win the lottery of course.

This a joke right? Remember the last time we traded a 1st and 2nd for a guy that another team developed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad