Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Hey Ken Where's the Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Really surprised people willing to stand pat watching division opponents load up on depth, while we have... Archibald, Neal, Kassian as options for McDavid's wing.

These prospects being given up, while good, aren't exactly untouchable level. Every season that goes by without giving McDavid+Draisaitl a legitimate shot at competing in the playoffs is one year less. Let alone in a year like this where the pacific is looking so weak. We need deeeppptthhhhhhhhhhhh. We need that top line winger so guys like Archibald and Kassian can perform their roles as excellent bottom 6 forwards instead of being an anchor with McDavid. Hence, getting a top line winger will solve our depth problems.

Again as I've said before I've talked to some NHL scouts who feel it's top heavy, but not anything special outside of the top 10.

I think the willingness to move first rounders with top 10 protection is an indication of that.

Seeing Bear, Jones, Yamamoto, and Jones step in for injuries and fill big holes in our line up should show exactly how valuable good drafting is.

It's a crap shoot even with great scouting but if we can keep a steady stream of young cost controlled assets we will be more competitive longer.

If we have cup in mind think Chicago before they had to sell or Tampa currently.

I'd much rather have a window starting now and finishing in at least 5 to 10 years than give away high assets right now for a slightly better group for this year only.

I've heard many say this is a deep draft and not one to give up 1st and second rounds. Our forward prospect depth is extremely thin and needs to be stocked.

Reactions: Balakay14

duul

Jun 21, 2010
A comparable package would be like Lavoie + Chiasson + 2nd. Personally I wouldn’t pay that for Toffoli, no.
Tyler Toffoli would be our best winger by a country mile...Chiasson plus a couple low end magic beans for a guy who is going to add 15+ goals over Chiasson is more than worth it.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Really surprised people willing to stand pat watching division opponents load up on depth, while we have... Archibald, Neal, Kassian as options for McDavid's wing.

These prospects being given up, while good, aren't exactly untouchable level. Every season that goes by without giving McDavid+Draisaitl a legitimate shot at competing in the playoffs is one year less. Let alone in a year like this where the pacific is looking so weak. We need deeeppptthhhhhhhhhhhh. We need that top line winger so guys like Archibald and Kassian can perform their roles as excellent bottom 6 forwards instead of being an anchor with McDavid. Hence, getting a top line winger will solve our depth problems.

You're not wrong but in today's day and age GM's have to walk a fine line, shoot your shot too early and you don't have assets needed when your team is truly ready to take a run. As well in the cap era if you deplete your stock of picks and prospects your window to compete can slam shut in a hurry, you need to maintain a stock of young players that you can develop and get some cheap, productive years out of when you inevitably have cap casualties.

No doubt they can use another player in the top 6 but I think in their eyes it has to be the right player and when they have a shot at that guy they're gonna want to have the assets at their disposal to get their guy.

Reactions: Balakay14 and North

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Tyler Toffoli would be our best winger by a country mile...Chiasson plus a couple low end magic beans for a guy who is going to add 15+ goals over Chiasson is more than worth it.
Lavoie is a low end magic bean? Are you f***ing stoned out of your tree?

Reactions: booyakasha

Navx94

Sponsor
Jan 17, 2019

25 games of toffoli isn’t winning us a cup.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park

Yamamoto right now is a better player than Toffoli. I'm not ok giving up prospects like Lavoie PLUS a draft pick in what could be a really deep draft for maybe a rental. Toffoli apparently said he didn't want to leave LA what makes you think he'd stay in Edmonton?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

They aren't low end magic beans, and your first sentence is flat out wrong.

Yamamoto is already better, RNH is better, and it's pretty even with Kassian.

Reactions: Seachd

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
TB is gunning for the cup.. we are gunning for a playoffs spot.
Not the same situation.
It's also different in that Tampa is loading up, while the pro-trade people are just asking that we fill a major hole in the lineup. For the Bolts it's a luxury. For us it is a need.

What is your plan for the McDavid line? You just want Archibald/Kassian/Neal? I don't think now is the time of year to think a prospect can step in line Yama did.

To me it is tragic to waste a year of McDavid while just one piece would fix it. By extension, we are also wasting this amazing Nuge-Drai-Yamamoto line as well because they are red hot but don't have any back up.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park

At this point is Chaisson really even that much worse than Toffoli? Is Archibald really that much worse than Toffoli? I'm not so sure they are

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Lavoie is a low end magic bean? Are you ****ing stoned out of your tree?
Yes? He is a horrific skater who got 4th line minutes at the WJC this year. He's a good player, good scorer, but it's unlikely he even makes the NHL let alone becomes close to the player Toffoli is now.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
It's also different in that Tampa is loading up, while the pro-trade people are just asking that we fill a major hole in the lineup. For the Bolts it's a luxury. For us it is a need.

What is your plan for the McDavid line? You just want Archibald/Kassian/Neal? I don't think now is the time of year to think a prospect can step in line Yama did.

To me it is tragic to waste a year of McDavid while just one piece would fix it. By extension, we are also wasting this amazing Nuge-Drai-Yamamoto line as well because they are red hot but don't have any back up.

Like i've said before i'd rather Holland do nothing this year and go all in next year when we have more cap

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Yes? He is a horrific skater who got 4th line minutes at the WJC this year. He's a good player, good scorer, but it's unlikely he even makes the NHL let alone becomes close to the player Toffoli is now.

You do know Toffoli is a UFA at the end of the season, correct?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Chaisson’s contract is not comparable to Schaller. Schaller is a UFA at the end of the year. Chaisson has another year at a higher price than Schaller. LA clearly wanted an expiring contract.

And I’d say Toffoli would nowhere be close to being our best winger.

duul

Jun 21, 2010

Yes they are. A 2nd round pick and Lavoie are more than likely never going to come close to the production Toffoli provides, if they even make the NHL in the first place in any capacity. RNH isn't a winger, but I agree that Yamamoto and him are similar in production to Toffoli.

Would you trade Lavoie and a 2nd for RNH? Yamo? Of course.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So? He's also a UFA and a player who plays a position that doesn't address a current roster need. How would that trade be beneficial to us assuming we're in the same boat as the Vancouver Canucks?

Neither of us are in the Cup conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->